Page 1 of 2 1 2
What if your dog wasn't invited? #3941792 01/11/13 07:07 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
What would you do if someone asked you not to bring your dog so their dog could get some work?

Personally I would rather hunt with my dogs and get nothing than hunt without them and get a limit. I know we should help the less experienced dogs out, but I thinkg taking turns would be better than just leaving one at home.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: stinkbelly] #3941809 01/11/13 07:13 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: stinkbelly
What would you do if someone asked you not to bring your dog so their dog could get some work?

Personally I would rather hunt with my dogs and get nothing than hunt without them and get a limit. I know we should help the less experienced dogs out, but I thinkg taking turns would be better than just leaving one at home.

Maybe his dog doesn't honor?? Or maybe he doesn't know it's an option. I'd ask?

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Angie B] #3941830 01/11/13 07:19 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
If it was me id like a finished dog to be there... having a younger dog thats learning be able to work with one thats got plenty of hunts under it will help alot.... if your going on a hunt with them on their boat or place then i would respect their wishes...if not then its a tough call

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Navasot] #3941952 01/11/13 08:00 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Definately a tough call. I know several guys that all have young dogs and they try to rotate them. These are retrievers not upland dogs though.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Navasot] #3941960 01/11/13 08:03 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I dont see why both dogs can't go and share the work.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: kindall] #3942022 01/11/13 08:20 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't go anywhere without my dog.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: bill oxner] #3942095 01/11/13 08:47 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I don't go anywhere without my dog.

+1.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #3942139 01/11/13 09:00 PM
B
BAS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
This really happen or just a hypothetical question?

The friends I hunt with enjoy seeing each others dog work and helping with the training.

When it's hot, you have to rotate dogs anyway. Sometimes a dog my get a pad injury, sore feet, or just have an off day, he'll be glad the hunt isn't over because he asked you to leave your dog at home.

Bruce

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: BAS] #3942176 01/11/13 09:13 PM
12gaugegator Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
He may have asked you to come along so you can be the shooter while he concentrates on working the dog? Just a theory

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: 12gaugegator] #3942925 01/12/13 01:56 AM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
No dog(s) no me, I didn't go on a lot of western Ks hunts in the day because the folks wanted only retrievers. I don't leave my dogs at home. Now if a guy has a pup and wants to have a chance to get him in birds I'm fine with resting my guys for the morning or afternoon but never leave them at home.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: 12gaugegator] #3943887 01/12/13 03:02 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted By: texanfrog
He may have asked you to come along so you can be the shooter while he concentrates on working the dog? Just a theory

My trainer told me I needed to do this the first couple times taking my dog hunting but I would just put him up and hunt with the other guys dog after that. That's just me.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: stinkbelly] #3943959 01/12/13 03:29 PM
R
RICK O'SHAY Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
EASY...I would just decide if I wanted to go without my dog or not...

"You're invited, here are the conditions...ya wanna come or not?"

DISCLAIMER
ATTENTION: Your decision should NEVER be based SOLELY upon my advice, recomendation, or opinion.
Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: RICK O'SHAY] #3944031 01/12/13 03:47 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I would hunt somewhere else with my dog.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Chet] #3944074 01/12/13 04:03 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
To me watching the dogs work is the main thing with a hunt they are a part of. I would want my dog to be a part of it. Depends on the hunt though. If Upland I would really want my dog to get some of he action, for a waterfowl hunt perhaps not. But it is very difficult to not bring the dog along.

Tough decision.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: kmon11] #3945216 01/12/13 11:48 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
If you have ever been on a hunt with an untrained dog or a dog who's owner thinks it is trained but it's not can make for a long frustrating hunt. Nothing is worse than having your huntin buddy blowing the "pea" out of a whistle and the dog just merrily doing whatever the frick it wants to.

If this is the case, you should just throw bumpers for said dog and call it a day.

If your buddy tells you up front, he's not sure about his dog but wants to get him some work, it's on you then...I've been there and I shoulda stayed in my warm bed.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Buzzsaw] #3945835 01/13/13 02:49 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I don't like to hunt two dogs. My dog is wound up by herself and it is even worse when you add another dog. So I understand that and will respect that if I am going with someone else. I normally hunt my lease and don't like hunting more than one other guy either. Where I hunt it is hard enough to hide two guys and a dog more less throwing in another guy and dog in the mix. My dog can handle 12-18 ducks by herself so another dog isn't necessary.

Saying that I also understand if someone wouldn't want to hunt with me if they didn't want to leave their dog at the house. I don't mind hunting with just me and my dog.

Talking ducks...upland is a different ballgame we don't play so not sure how she would do there or how I would feel.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Judd] #3945918 01/13/13 03:12 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Well now I know never to invite most of you on a hunt. The way I see it, its up to the person who set up the hunt. If I invite you, I am probably planning to bring my dog, and have another spot in the boat, so i invite you. I am not inviting you and your dog. There is no reason to hunt more than one dog unless its agreed upon ahead of time (im speaking waterfowl).

All of my hunting partners have dogs, and we take turns bringing dogs.

If i get invited to go one a hunt with someone, I dont bring my dog unless I am told to.

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: ishootspoonies] #3946417 01/13/13 06:16 AM
G
Gacman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: ishootspoonies
Well now I know never to invite most of you on a hunt. The way I see it, its up to the person who set up the hunt. If I invite you, I am probably planning to bring my dog, and have another spot in the boat, so i invite you. I am not inviting you and your dog. There is no reason to hunt more than one dog unless its agreed upon ahead of time (im speaking waterfowl).

If i get invited to go one a hunt with someone, I dont bring my dog unless I am told to.

most of you have read far too deep into this. And if your feelings get hurt cause someone invited you hunting but asked you to leave your dog at home, inquire politely as to the reason, offer to help in any way you can, but you may just have to stay home and grow a pair.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Gacman] #3950072 01/14/13 11:51 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If I was invited to go on a hunt, I just assumed that would mean me and the dogs, because I always take them. If I invited someone with a dog, I would assume they would bring their dog. I would never ask someone to leave their dog behind no matter how bad it was. I have hunted with some really bad dogs. I just tell them to hunt over there and I will hunt over here.

If there was an issue with room, we would figure it out. I have duck hunted with 3 dogs in the blind and upland hunted with 7 dogs on the ground at one time.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Gacman] #3951505 01/14/13 07:24 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: gacman

most of you have read far too deep into this. And if your feelings get hurt cause someone invited you hunting but asked you to leave your dog at home, inquire politely as to the reason, offer to help in any way you can, but you may just have to stay home and grow a pair.

X3

It sounds like the guy asked you to come and flat out told you not to bring your dog. It's that simple. He set it up, he makes the rules. I don't see any problem with you asking why he doesn't want your dog there and stating that you want to bring yours, but if he says no, then you either stay at home with your dog or you go hunt with out your dog. Simple as that. If you're one of those people who won't hunt without their dog, then stay at home, but don't get all butt hurt about it.

It sounds like the guy just wants to get his dog all the work he can. I can respect that.

I've hunted with 3 total dogs several times and if the dogs are trained properly (emphasis on honor and steady), we've never had an issue. The problem is, is that not all dogs are trianed properly. That's where you run into issues.

Last edited by Mud Shark; 01/14/13 07:26 PM.

Mud Shark

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: Mud Shark] #3951696 01/14/13 08:17 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Mud Shark
Originally Posted By: gacman

X3

It sounds like the guy asked you to come and flat out told you not to bring your dog. It's that simple. He set it up, he makes the rules. I don't see any problem with you asking why he doesn't want your dog there and stating that you want to bring yours, but if he says no, then you either stay at home with your dog or you go hunt with out your dog. Simple as that. If you're one of those people who won't hunt without their dog, then stay at home, but don't get all butt hurt about it.

It sounds like the guy just wants to get his dog all the work he can. I can respect that.

I've hunted with 3 total dogs several times and if the dogs are trained properly (emphasis on honor and steady), we've never had an issue. The problem is, is that not all dogs are trianed properly. That's where you run into issues.

Actually I invited someone hunting at my place and he wanted me to leave my dogs at home.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: stinkbelly] #3951737 01/14/13 08:29 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
BALLS!!!!!

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: bill oxner] #3952127 01/14/13 10:06 PM
12gaugegator Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
In that case, bring YOUR dogs to YOUR place. Offer to help the friend work his dog if YOU want to and if the friend doesn't like it or doesn't want to go then that is their loss. I can't imagine someone asking me to not bring my dogs to a hunt on my own place. I have asked friends to go hunting on my place before and had them bring their dogs. I've even helped them work their dogs while mine was in the truck.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: 12gaugegator] #3952185 01/14/13 10:19 PM
12gaugegator Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I just read my post and realized it sounded like a rant and I don't want to come off as being negative or sound like I am giving orders. I was just surprised that someone could be so bold as to make such a request.

If someone asked me on a hunt on their own place and asked that I not bring my dog then I would just have to weigh how much I wanted to hunt with that person at that place. If I want to go that bad then I respect the wishes of the one extending the invitation.

Respect is what differentiates good sportsmen from the rest of the yahoos with guns out shooting stuff. When I go hunting with someone I like to think that if an opening should arise in the future to do it again then they would think highly enough of me to invite me back. Telling someone how to do things on their own place is a surefire way to not receive another invitation in my book.

Re: What if your dog wasn't invited? [Re: 12gaugegator] #3952193 01/14/13 10:21 PM
B
BAS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Was he a prick about it?

Did he ask if there's any chance you could leave one of your dogs this time?

Did you address it with him and offer to switch out dogs or let his have some retrieves?

I know I brought my dog on a hunt with a guide and the friggin' guide wouldn't call his dog off the first few retrieves. Just gave a woops sorry was busy watching the birds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide