Print Thread
Boykin Spaniel Question #3951196 01/14/13 06:04 PM
D
deuces Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Where can I get one near the North Texas area?

I already have a lab, but I'm on the lookout for a Boykin as well (have been for quite some time).

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: deuces] #3951237 01/14/13 06:14 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I'm looking to get a puppy out of this breeding. It was done just a few weeks ago. Terri is pretty picky about her breeding stock.

http://www.frontier-retrievers.com/index.php?categoryid=9

Good luck,

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: Angie B] #3951286 01/14/13 06:28 PM
B
BAS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Not sure how common EIC is, but a neighbor had two that were hunted, not sure from what breeder and he has been transferred, and one had heart problems.

I'd be sure whoever you purchase them from screens for this.

I've read about it but have not had another breed owned by me or any of my hunting partners that had EIC/heart issues in Brittany's Pointers, Labs, GSPs, or GWP/Drahts.

I'm sure that no breed is free from potenital issues, but the reason I referenced it is the fact I know a dog and see that the kennel above tests for it.

Angie - How common is testing for EIC? Are some breeds/lines prone to it?

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: BAS] #3951320 01/14/13 06:36 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Eic in Boykins is as high as it is in labradors. About 30% are affected with just as many being carriers. I'm going by memory but I think that was the last statistic I read from U of M. That was a few years ago. And that was in regards to labradors.

I'm not aware of heart issues but I do know hips can be a problem.

The breed is pretty new and it's gene pool is small.

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: BAS] #3951321 01/14/13 06:36 PM
B
BAS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I reread post and want to note that I have known and owned other breed that have health or other issues - bite, osteochodritis dessicans, temperament, testes, hips, etc.

Sounded like I singled out the Boykin and highlighted other breeds as "trouble" free.

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: BAS] #3951352 01/14/13 06:45 PM
C
CurlyBillTucker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Frontier Retrievers is the only one in the area I know of. My Boykin came from a breeder in OKC with lines from Frontier.

I would give them a call, I believe I remember seeing a letter or article from Terrie Tomlinson in the Boykin Spaniel Society newsletter a year or two ago concerning EIC in Boykins.

Great little fun dogs, and also a workhorse.

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: CurlyBillTucker] #3951418 01/14/13 07:03 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
There's a breeder near Katy TX who garantees no EIC. (boy!! I wish we had spell check nuts)

Last edited by Ray B; 01/14/13 07:04 PM.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: RayB] #3951451 01/14/13 07:11 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Texas Trace Kennels out of Hempstead Texas. Their dogs have all the health certs and have some of the same bloodlines as Terri's breeding. I know Decoy the Master Hunter is in my dogs pedigree. Angie would be able to tell you what she thinks about thier dogs. But whatever you do...do not buy a dog with out the health certs. Also after I get my dogs SHR, if I can find a female to stud my dog out to hopefully my dog will help produce some nice pups this summer.

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: huck18] #3951580 01/14/13 07:48 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: huck18
Texas Trace Kennels out of Hempstead Texas. Their dogs have all the health certs and have some of the same bloodlines as Terri's breeding. I know Decoy the Master Hunter is in my dogs pedigree. Angie would be able to tell you what she thinks about thier dogs. But whatever you do...do not buy a dog with out the health certs. Also after I get my dogs SHR, if I can find a female to stud my dog out to hopefully my dog will help produce some nice pups this summer.

If there is a female to be had out of Terri's litter for me, when she's old enough she will definitely be on Hanks dance card!! He's sooo good looking. You should really get a CH on that dog!!

"Hank" the goose dog!!

Pretty boy "Hank"

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: Angie B] #3953189 01/15/13 02:24 AM
J
JenvyBritts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Texas Trace dogs are superb hunters, sound structure and temperaments and fully health tested. They are great dogs. I am very familiar with them and would be happy to discuss them more via PM.

Definitely be sure to get a puppy from breeders who Pennhip or OFA ALL breeding stock, along with EIC screening. Any additional health tests may include CERF eye, patella (some lines do have patella issues, which is not something you'd like to have in a hunting dog!) and possibly cardiac, though I have not heard of heart issues in the breed. 'My' breed is brittanys, and I will be the first to say that more and more heart issues are popping up in the breed, so along with OFA hips and CERF, it's always good to see a cardiac test as well...though many don't do it. Can never have too many health screenings! ;-)

Jenvy Brittanys & Show Handling
www.freewebs.com/jenvy
GCH Kountrytyme Mtn Of Fire N Ice CGC CA JH "Jenna"
CH Caliah Jenvy's Lake of Eden JH "Eden"

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: JenvyBritts] #3953212 01/15/13 02:28 AM
J
JenvyBritts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Also want to add, ask to see the actual health certificates, or you can look up OFA on offa.org to be sure they actually are tested and see relatives results as well.

EIC - two EIC clear parents will produce a litter of all EIC clear puppies, so some breeders might not test the litter since they're clear by default. Any other EIC result breeding needs to test the litter, such as a carrier bred to clear, clear bred to affected or carrier to carrier (which isn't a good idea since affected pups can result.)

www.freewebs.com/jenvy

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: JenvyBritts] #3953449 01/15/13 03:09 AM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
We will have to see about that CH. I don't think I could stomach watching my dog in the show ring. We would lose all our street credit! ; )

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: huck18] #3953705 01/15/13 03:58 AM
J
JenvyBritts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Hey! My Britt is a Grand Champion AND proves all her doubters wrong in the field! Shes a bird finding machine!
A show title proves the dog has sound and correct structure, fitting the breed standard. It's something to be proud of, especially when they can hunt too! You can also get hunt titles through hunt tests.
If you are ever interested in showing feel free to contact me, I have finished several Boykin champions and would be happy to help. :-)

www.freewebs.com/jenvy

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: JenvyBritts] #3954759 01/15/13 03:14 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: JenvyBritts
Hey! My Britt is a Grand Champion AND proves all her doubters wrong in the field! Shes a bird finding machine!
A show title proves the dog has sound and correct structure, fitting the breed standard. It's something to be proud of, especially when they can hunt too! You can also get hunt titles through hunt tests.
If you are ever interested in showing feel free to contact me, I have finished several Boykin champions and would be happy to help. :-)

X2,,,, Hey Gary,,, I'm doing it with my chessie, Bernie. With me handling him... How about that. roflmao

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: JenvyBritts] #3954767 01/15/13 03:16 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Also want to add, ask to see the actual health certificates, or you can look up OFA on offa.org to be sure they actually are tested and see relatives results as well.

EIC - two EIC clear parents will produce a litter of all EIC clear puppies, so some breeders might not test the litter since they're clear by default. Any other EIC result breeding needs to test the litter, such as a carrier bred to clear, clear bred to affected or carrier to carrier (which isn't a good idea since affected pups can result.)

I have to ask why?? At $65 a pop per puppy it's not cheap. As long as their not bred carrier to carrier or affected to carrier, there will be no affected puppies in the litter, just carriers.

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: Angie B] #3955293 01/15/13 05:24 PM
J
JenvyBritts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
If you know pups will either be clear or carrier, I know breeders that test the whole litter so they know each pups result and use that as part of determining which pup to keep (they prefer to keep clears, unless a carrier is better) as a potential breeding dog. Then carriers are placed on spay/neuter contracts.
It's an easier disease to eliminate if only clears are bred or at least aimed for. Of course that doesn't mean if you have a spectacular carrier it shouldn't be bred...especially in Boykins with a small gene pool, there is room for carriers or even affecteds if needed. But just saying its good to aim for clears.
$65 per pup is expensive to test a whole litter, but if you're evaluating potential breeding dogs, its a responsible step to take.

www.freewebs.com/jenvy

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: JenvyBritts] #3956442 01/15/13 10:05 PM
C
cdoz35 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I just recently got a male Boykin pup. I had to order it out of a breeder in South Carolina to get one any time soon. I am super excited to try this new breed. He has been a supper smart and fast learner so far.

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: JenvyBritts] #3956872 01/15/13 11:43 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
If you know pups will either be clear or carrier, I know breeders that test the whole litter so they know each pups result and use that as part of determining which pup to keep (they prefer to keep clears, unless a carrier is better) as a potential breeding dog. Then carriers are placed on spay/neuter contracts.
It's an easier disease to eliminate if only clears are bred or at least aimed for. Of course that doesn't mean if you have a spectacular carrier it shouldn't be bred...especially in Boykins with a small gene pool, there is room for carriers or even affecteds if needed. But just saying its good to aim for clears.
$65 per pup is expensive to test a whole litter, but if you're evaluating potential breeding dogs, its a responsible step to take.

Well Jenvy,,, I'm impressed. A very well thought out and articulate post.

I as a breeder am not worried about eliminating any gene. How do I know EIC is not attached to intelligence, nose, marking, tractability?? I don't.

I will breed carriers and even affecteds if I don't break the cardinal rule of breeding, which is "Do No Harm"...

I strive to breed the healthiest dog I can for my clientele. If that puppy should be a carrier of a genetic disease, that's all it is. If the new owner wants a clear puppy then they will have to find a breeder who tests their litters. I do not.

Now if I'm looking to purchase a puppy from someone to add to my breeding program. That may be different depending on what studs I'm using. But I'll be upfront with the breeder and work with them.

Nice to meet you Jenvy!! Good luck with your dogs.... smile

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: Angie B] #3957102 01/16/13 12:41 AM
J
JenvyBritts Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Thank you Angie.

And I agree with you as well. As long as you are aware of each dog's EIC status when breeding and do not produce affected pups, there is plenty of room for carriers and even affecteds in responsible breeding programs. Breeders also need to be sure puppy buyers are educated on the disease, especially if they plan to breed at some point.

If only all diseases could be so easily tested for! ;-)

www.freewebs.com/jenvy

Re: Boykin Spaniel Question [Re: JenvyBritts] #3957133 01/16/13 12:50 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Thank you Angie.

And I agree with you as well. As long as you are aware of each dog's EIC status when breeding and do not produce affected pups, there is plenty of room for carriers and even affecteds in responsible breeding programs. Breeders also need to be sure puppy buyers are educated on the disease, especially if they plan to breed at some point.

If only all diseases could be so easily tested for! ;-)

Agreed!! That's why I love limited registration.

If one of my puppy buyers would like to breed their puppy down the road? (Very few do),, I will gladly lift that limited once they have shown me that they have gotten the same clearances done on their dog as I did on their dogs parents.

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide