Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Nocturnal Knife Hunting #392848 07/27/08 01:52 PM
TexasTransplant Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
My buddy Tiny and I went out with an AB Outfitter's crew on Friday night for some nocturnal knife fighting with feral hogs. We hunted from 10:30 until the dogs got tired around 3:30-3:45 and saw a lot of wildlife. The silence of owls is creepy. As we all know, deer know when they're not in season. They said to say howdy to y'all. Two good eaters and a rattle snake (shot with a .45) later, we drove home tired but happy.

At our first stop, just as we jumped out of the truck, a herd of 20+ hogs came running accross our group. A guide tried to tackle one but got bumped off. At least two of them that I saw were quite large (3' at the shoulder or more). We ran through some brush and trees to get to the dogs who had a couple hogs in a bog-stinky tank. I got one and Tiny wasn't able to get to his before it died in the water under the loving care of our guide Carlos' hog dog. While all this was going on, some of the cur dogs were still out so we went after them with the GPS device but we were too late. They gave Mr. Hog some special attention and we opted not to take what was left with us. It was very exciting and a good time and that was just the beginning!

When we were finished with this area, we loaded back up with Tiny and myself sitting on the tailgate facing where we just came from. Someone yelled, "SNAKE!" and, sure enough, there was a 4' rattler slithering away after passing within a few inches of my left boot (snake proof). John, the younger guide, popped out and narrowly missed the snake's head with a thrown knife. The snake got into the prickly pear and we decided discretion was the better part of valor. I went over with a .45 and John showed me where the snake was. I could just see a piece of him and had to shoot him through the prickly pear. BLAM! Snake still rattling and writing around and pissed. BLAM! Tiny's starting to snicker and thinking that maybe he should call my wife up to see if she can drive down and help me shoot. So I super-duper double-dare aim and shoot him again. The little )(*&^er is still striking. John whacks him with something and we pull him out and find that he's got 3 bullet holes in him. Redemption.

I'll get some pics up of the snake. The problem with good eating pigs is the lies we'll publish about how we took 'em down will be a lot more exciting if we don't publish the pictures since uh.. they weren't really very large and only one of 'em had any cutters and they were only about 1/8th inch long. There were some large hogs and we had a good time trying to find them but, like big bucks, feral hogs don't get fat by sticking around. We're hooked, we'll be back to stick 'em another time.

She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.
Re: Nocturnal Knife Hunting [Re: TexasTransplant] #392849 07/27/08 04:43 PM
H
helomech Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Sounds like yall had a great time. pics

Re: Nocturnal Knife Hunting [Re: TexasTransplant] #392850 07/27/08 10:57 PM
T
twice70 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Sounds like fun glad ya'll had a good time!!

Re: Nocturnal Knife Hunting [Re: twice70] #392851 07/28/08 12:59 AM
A
AB Joint Outfitters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
We sure enjoyed having you guys down and hope you come back soon. Carlos and John really enjoyed the two of you as hunters as well. Let me know when you are ready to come back. AB

I have two little girls; which means if GI Joe ever got to take a vacation he should come to my house...Ahhh, Estrogen Land! Where lonely barbies abound without a single man in site.
Re: Nocturnal Knife Hunting [Re: AB Joint Outfitters] #392852 07/28/08 01:27 AM
TexasTransplant Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Carlos and John were great. They're young, which threw us off at first, but they're real and we'll be seeing them again.

She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide