Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: hoof n wings] #3877819 12/23/12 06:32 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I think you might've read something backwards?
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Oh, Im one of those stupid city smucks you spoke of.
Originally Posted By: splash556
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
And where do you live splash?

I live about 15 miles outside of B/CS. I've also lived in the city. Didn't always like it but life circumstances dictate sometimes.

Yourself?

[Linked Image]
Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: splash556] #3878346 12/23/12 09:56 PM
H
Huntsmanda Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Based on the screen pic, this guy has to walk within 50/75 yards of his feeder to get to his stand, he placed his stand at an intersection of two fences bordering 4 different properties AND, in general is shooting back toward his own house as well as the neighbor to the east.

Two words come to mind, on of 'em is pound.

The other is sand....

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: Huntsmanda] #3879575 12/24/12 04:14 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Huntsmanda
Based on the screen pic, this guy has to walk within 50/75 yards of his feeder to get to his stand, he placed his stand at an intersection of two fences bordering 4 different properties AND, in general is shooting back toward his own house as well as the neighbor to the east.

Two words come to mind, on of 'em is pound.

The other is sand....

Lol. I agree he may not be the smartest hunter but he is trying to be safe. He knows where his house is and he isn't shooting on anyone else's property. I would much rather have a stand on the fence than a feeder. At least your not gonna get shot that way

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: TgrygTC] #3879640 12/24/12 04:32 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
What does your grandpa think? Afterall, it's his land, he has to live with his neighbors, and he should have the final say. You and your brother are just guests on your granda's property.

I would think that you'd be wise to settle this issue quickly and in whatever manner that will make the neighbor happy without inviting any further discord. You may have a legitimate gripe here, but this may be a battle that's just not worth fighting.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: dawaba] #3879671 12/24/12 04:52 AM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Hate to say it but 100 yards of woods sometimes don't stop a bullet. We were building a deck for our pool over the summer and somebody down the road started shooting rifles and pistols. No big deal. People (including us) shoot all the time. Well about 30 minutes into it we started hearing ricochets flying past. Got into the truck and drove down to where they were shooting and they were firing off into the woods on their newly aquired property. They thought it was "woods forever" behind them. Their property is about 3/4 of a mile from ours and separated by pastures, tree lines, and, you guessed it, woods.

I'm not saying you did the wrong thing. Just that you might want to rethink the whole idea of being safe because there's acouple trees between you and him.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: Trout-killer] #3880505 12/24/12 04:04 PM
T
TgrygTC Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I can somewhat understand 100 yards not being enough, but I'm hunting from 15' up shooting down. Then first, theres about 50 yards of thick mesquites, and then at least another 50 yards of pretty thick timber. His whole deal is he set his stand up to where he can see over my mesquites into my field, so if he was watching the entire time, he could literally watch me shoot a deer. He's scared because his stand is so close. the simple fix is to get his crap off of my property line and the problem is solved.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: TgrygTC] #3880804 12/24/12 05:47 PM
I
ILikeRugers2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
He set his stand directly in line with yours and your feeder? Kinda bold isn't it? I would think he should have known that would be risky (for him). Both of you can do whatever you want on your land, but if I were putting a new stand up in a new location I would use common sense and look around BEFORE any shots were fired. I mean he voluntarily put himself in the line of fire, right?

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: ILikeRugers2] #3881068 12/24/12 07:21 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
If you know you are shooting downward at relatively shorter shots, 200 yds. or less, I would tell the dude to "pound sound" the next time he gives you grief.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: DQ Kid] #3881336 12/24/12 08:56 PM
T
TgrygTC Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
There's not a feeder that I hunt in that field. It's in the woods next to me but its not what I'm hunting over. The fact that he isn't going to move it now, knowing im hunting and just expect me to stop shooting a rifle while he hunts as he pleases is what's bothering me. I put a call into the game warden this morning.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: TgrygTC] #3881437 12/24/12 09:40 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: TgrygTC
There's not a feeder that I hunt in that field. It's in the woods next to me but its not what I'm hunting over. The fact that he isn't going to move it now, knowing im hunting and just expect me to stop shooting a rifle while he hunts as he pleases is what's bothering me. I put a call into the game warden this morning.

What was your complaint to the GW?

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: BOONER] #3881614 12/24/12 10:40 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: BOONER
I'm guessing he just doesn't want to get shot. The way he has his set up pointed inward seems to justify that. I'd go talk to him and apologize and tell him you didn't know he had moved his stand and try to get along with him. I bet y'all can work something out

Maybe working something out like hunting with a shotgun (slugs or buckshot) would be safer for all concerned if he would agree.
At the distances you and he are shooting it would make sense.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: Jimbo] #3881667 12/24/12 10:59 PM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
On the flip side of stand placement... will he be shooting directly at you on any of his shots? I think you just need to sit down and talk about what is safe and acceptable for both of you. It's obviously close quarters and that is one variable that won't change.
Good luck. I hope you can work it out...

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: 10ring] #3881726 12/24/12 11:18 PM
T
TgrygTC Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I don't have a complaint with the GW. If it happens again and he said he's gonna call the cops like he did last time, I just want to be able to know I'm not in the wrong in any way. I'll also be able to give him his number. The guy was looking to fight last time. Basically I just want to talk to the GW and make sure I'm doing everything right. If he always hunted out there it would be easier for me to change up how I hunt, but he's only hunting this year because we have some good deer out there. His words were, "I normally don't hunt out here but seein all the big deer out there this year I decided to hunt it." This guy has antlers along his fence by his house.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: TgrygTC] #3881744 12/24/12 11:25 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I don't have a complaint with the GW. If it happens again and he said he's gonna call the cops like he did last time, I just want to be able to know I'm not in the wrong in any way. I'll also be able to give him his number. The guy was looking to fight last time. Basically I just want to talk to the GW and make sure I'm doing everything right. If he always hunted out there it would be easier for me to change up how I hunt, but he's only hunting this year because we have some good deer out there. His words were, "I normally don't hunt out here but seein all the big deer out there this year I decided to hunt it." This guy has antlers along his fence by his house.

Copy. Keep us posted on what the GW says. I dont think there is any law against a stand on the fence but I could be wrong. I do know it is against the law to shoot across property lines. If your bullets arent travelling on to his land you are not doing anything wrong.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: BOONER] #3881820 12/24/12 11:56 PM
S
spoons Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Option one: Shoot, shoot, shoot some more....safely of coarse..

Option two: GO to the pound and get the loudest barking, ugliest, nastiest, biggest dog they have and tie him to a tree about 10 yrds from his stand on your property of coarse.

Option 3: Accept that you have enough friends and really don't need one more(him).

Option 4: Put a high fence up around his property lines.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: spoons] #3881862 12/25/12 12:20 AM
Y
Yellowhammer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
Quote:
I'm guessing he just doesn't want to get shot. The way he has his set up pointed inward seems to justify that. I'd go talk to him and apologize and tell him you didn't know he had moved his stand and try to get along with him. I bet y'all can work something out

This makes a lot of sense to me. I would also show him that map. You would be surprised how many people have not understading of the lay of the land and how things are in relation to other things.

If he still just acts like a jerk, then I would leave it up to the landowner (your Grandpa) to deal with it.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: TgrygTC] #3882254 12/25/12 03:28 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

You really need to meet with this guy and maybe even have the Game Warden present when you do.
He sounds like he has a short fuse and if you shoot again he may just go off, and shoot a return shot in your direction. Either way saying nothing isn't going to be good for either of you.
If his blind is on the fenceline then that means he probably is shooting inward toward his own property, whereas your blinds are away from the fence and even though you are shooting downward, the blast from your muzzle is in his direction and that is what is scaring the pants off of him.

I would much rather have someone shooting from the fenceline inward than from the inside out toward my property, so I can relate to his concerns.

You really need to get together and figure something out!

I would think that the Game Warden may even side with him on blind placement.

Last edited by Jimbo; 12/25/12 03:35 AM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: hoof n wings] #3890721 12/28/12 02:54 AM
J
jusputitonmytab Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
If he knew that your stand/feeder is setup like that then he should have chose a better spot to put his stand..

I have an a-hole like that neighboring our land in Polk County. He hunts a cut down our fence line. He has already taken a shooter I've been watching this season.. Sh$%# happens I guess.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: jusputitonmytab] #3890811 12/28/12 03:24 AM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Devils advocate:

1. He can put anything on his side of the fence.
2. Your bullet crosses his fence and hits something= no bueno.

I say avoid the dude and forget about it.

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: hoof n wings] #3890840 12/28/12 03:32 AM
C
centexrancher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I live on 48 acres in Madison County that has been in my family about 200 years. I have an elevated stand and two feeders along my back property line but only use this set up to hunt hogs at night. The feeders run 4 times between 6 pm and 1 am. I imagine the guys who have 200 acres adjoining that fence probably think i am trying to lure deer off their place but I just want to get the piggies that root up my pasture. We've never hunted deer on this place.

I do my deer hunting on a large acreage place in an adjacent county.

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: centexrancher] #3897314 12/30/12 12:16 PM
T
Tek Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
After looking at the layout of the picture it looks like his stand isn't in the best spot...

Not that he has to comply, but maybe talk with each other and agree to make it a bow only area? Makes it harder for all and can let them grow...??? Not sure if you or the guy would be willing to do that tho.

Hope y'all work something out!

Re: Pretty pissed off hunter [Re: Limit Extender] #3903184 01/01/13 12:36 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
East Bell county for you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread