Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look #3864615 12/19/12 07:00 PM
Big Tony Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
And not at the child. After a saw this video, I was sick to my stomach. This was NOT a case of bullying, it was a case of ABUSE. Please take the time to watch it in it's entirety.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tfkscHt96R0[/video]

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Big Tony] #3864637 12/19/12 07:05 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Thats crummy I saw that a few months back

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: pokerj2] #3864690 12/19/12 07:20 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Animals!

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: pokerj2] #3864745 12/19/12 07:33 PM
R
redmist220 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
man o man , dont think i could have took that that well if that was my son/daughter . I hope that these teachers are not in any kind of school of any sort !

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: redmist220] #3864845 12/19/12 08:06 PM
C
Czechaholic Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
It is terrible to hear the recordings of what transpired in that classroom......that poor little guy!!! On the other hand, this video should in no way be connected with teachers in general! My wife is a teacher....she loves the kids as her own and has come home many of times crying because she knows that the situation some of these kids go home to are terrible!!! While it is disturbing to hear what went on, with teachers, just like in any profession, you have some who are just idiots and should not be teachers!! There is always a few bad apples at every place of employment. Alot of this type of abuse goes on in the home as well......from the parents(sad...huh???) and TEACHERS are the ones who figure it out and help those kids out!!!

Again, I hate that this happened to this child and his family, but IMO this video should not be used as a tool to disgrace the many,many,many great teachers that are out there!!!

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: redmist220] #3864851 12/19/12 08:07 PM
Big Tony Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I wonder how often this happens?

"A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be." -Fred Bear
Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Big Tony] #3864920 12/19/12 08:28 PM
B
Blake E. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Good dad right there. A lot more level headed than me. I think I would have lost it. Cant stand a bully.

Blake (940) 389-0801
www.texasduckndove.com
Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Czechaholic] #3864964 12/19/12 08:38 PM
Big Tony Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Czechaholic
It is terrible to hear the recordings of what transpired in that classroom......that poor little guy!!! On the other hand, this video should in no way be connected with teachers in general! My wife is a teacher....she loves the kids as her own and has come home many of times crying because she knows that the situation some of these kids go home to are terrible!!! While it is disturbing to hear what went on, with teachers, just like in any profession, you have some who are just idiots and should not be teachers!! There is always a few bad apples at every place of employment. Alot of this type of abuse goes on in the home as well......from the parents(sad...huh???) and TEACHERS are the ones who figure it out and help those kids out!!!

Again, I hate that this happened to this child and his family, but IMO this video should not be used as a tool to disgrace the many,many,many great teachers that are out there!!!

You bring up an excellent point. I can see where this type of abuse would be as much or more prevalent in the home. And I use the word ABUSE because this isn't bullying. We shouldn't look at teachers only as a bad influence on these children, we should look at everyone who comes in contact with them. I once read that we as humans, on average, have 10 people who look up to us and idolize us in our lifetimes that we never know about or realize. I wonder how many we have that look at us in the complete opposite way?

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Big Tony] #3865035 12/19/12 08:53 PM
C
Czechaholic Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I knew absolutely nothing about autism, until I met my wife! It is AMAZING how much she knows about it and can identify the smallest of things that can lead to autism. This is a very big subject for her and she has talked to me some about it!! It does need to be looked at closer and she is doing things that she can to try and help things in that direction. I agree...I think we all should look at it closer!

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Blake E.] #3865213 12/19/12 09:39 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I could not watch the entire thing. I have a son in the autism spectrum. My son is high performing and not to the degree of the child in the video. We had a good run at first with some outstanding teachers that at times went against their supervisors to accomadate my son, but ultimately we ended up with a bad apple teacher and battled with my son's public school and CFB school district in ard meetings to accomdate his private therapy, refusing to control bullys, and more problem teachers that had no understanding of autism and refused to comply with modifications from our ards. My son went from all As and 100s on TAAKs tests to Fs, tics caused by stress in school, and crying all day every day when coming home from school. He was the perfect victim for problem students and teachers alike. Their solution was to isolate him, leave classes before others, leave school from a different door and rather than explain to bullys and their parents how damaging what they are doing can be, because of privacy laws they would just suspend students that bullied him with no explanation. This of course only made things worse by angering other students and teachers alike. What a blessing it was when we found John Dodd's Branch Park Academy. First thing they did was have all their teachers take autism classes. How wonderful it was to have a math teacher approch me and be all excited when the explained to me how my son see's math on a matrix and will be taught on a higher grade level. Instead of critisising him for using a pen and punishing him like his previous public school teacher did because she did not understand how the feel of a lead pencil could shut him down. If you understand autism at all, to see my son who has aspergers play lead roles in school plays was something amazing I thought I would never see. My son again often makes 100s on skills tests and if he misses a question or two, he claims the question was wrong. He will finish high school in a charter school with several college credits to carry over. It is scary to think of how things would be right now if we still had to deal with public school. Note we did often have wonderful teachers that went above and beyond, but conversations with them often started with "I can get in trouble for telling you this, but...". I do know some public schools and school districts excel in this area, but as a whole the public school system still has a long ways to go in the understanding of autism, training for teachers regarding autism, and accountability for teachers related to ARD modifications.

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Sniper John] #3865662 12/19/12 11:43 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
I could not watch the entire thing. I have a son in the autism spectrum. My son is high performing and not to the degree of the child in the video. We had a good run at first with some outstanding teachers that at times went against their supervisors to accomadate my son, but ultimately we ended up with a bad apple teacher and battled with my son's public school and CFD school district in ard meetings to accomdate his private therapy, refusing to control bullys, and more problem teachers that had no understanding of autism and refused to comply with modifications from our ards. My son went from all As and 100s on TAAKs tests to Fs, tics caused by stress in school, and crying all day every day when coming home from school. He was the perfect victim for problem students and teachers alike. Their solution was to isolate him, leave classes before others, leave school from a different door and rather than explain to bullys and their parents how damaging what they are doing can be, because of privacy laws they would just suspend students that bullied him with no explanation. This of course only made things worse by angering other students and teachers alike. What a blessing it was when we found John Dodd's Branch Park Academy. First thing they did was have all their teachers take autism classes. How wonderful it was to have a math teacher approch me and be all excited when the explained to me how my son see's math on a matrix and will be taught on a higher grade level. Instead of critisising him for using a pen and punishing him like his previous public school teacher did because she did not understand how the feel of a lead pencil could shut him down. If you understand autism at all, to see my son who has aspergers play lead roles in school plays was something amazing I thought I would never see. My son again often makes 100s on skills tests and if he misses a question or two, he claims the question was wrong. He will finish high school in a charter school with several college credits to carry over. It is scary to think of how things would be right now if we still had to deal with public school. Note we did often have wonderful teachers that went above and beyond, but conversations with them often started with "I can get in trouble for telling you this, but...". I do know some public schools and school districts excel in this area, but as a whole the public school system still has a long ways to go in the understanding of autism, training for teachers regarding autism, and accountability for teachers related to ARD modifications.

Thanks for sharing John. Great story. Good luck to your boy.

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: BOONER] #3865705 12/19/12 11:54 PM
Big Tony Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Absolutely. I agree with the training, for both the teachers AND the parents. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be to raise a special needs child.

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: BOONER] #3865742 12/20/12 12:06 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
I remember talking with Sniper John about autism, I really felt for him as a father and was happy then and still now that a special child has such a wonderful man to care for him. I have forgiven my mother for the shortcomings she had back when I was a child. There was no common knowledge of Asperger's Syndrome or Mild Autism. I feel for people further down the spectrum than I. The main aspect that I hate from my own personal perspective and for my older son is that no one recognizes by general appearance/interaction that we have such social problems. I have come to realize that I feel safer when I know whats ok to talk about. Such as here on the THF, I know its safe to talk about my love of guns, the outdoors and such. Or when I am golfing I know "Neurotyps" talk about golf, thus I know talking about golf is a safe topic. However, in most social situations I just don't speak. I've embarassed myself and others too many times. I sometimes wish I had a sign on my neck for strangers to see that informs them I won't understand their expressions, body language or what the antecedents are being referenced in their pronouns. I'd really love if the powers that be just removed the word "it" from our language. Its soooooo confusing!!!

Thanks to Big Tony for posting this and I am glad to count him as a friend.

Sniper John, in regards to your son saying the question was wrong, I'd bet every penny I have that he is correct. If the wording is not crystal clear or there are words that "float" their meaning someone special like your boy will find fault in it and there is no way your boy can be proven wrong. He learned what he was taught and applied the learning in the same manner as it was taught. John, my friend, I hope you are well and enjoying this day. Take care.

Grey

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Czechaholic] #3866318 12/20/12 02:26 AM
C
Coach16 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I am glad that we have people that stand behind us educators ....and I completely agree with their being individuals in education that don't belong. I am actually a adaptive physical education teacher in public schools and I honestly believe that my SPED skills students are some of the happiest kids in the school and I enjoy each day that I get to spend with them.

You harvest the seed you plant- THE GOOD BOOK
Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Coach16] #3866867 12/20/12 05:01 AM
I
Inky Doc Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
Good on you, Coach. I'm always glad to hear about stand-up guys making a difference to children in the best of ways.

Re: Autism : Maybe we should take a closer look [Re: Inky Doc] #3867566 12/20/12 02:38 PM
M
MACV Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Folks there is no doubt that we have good and bad or even evil people in all parts of our lives. God gives us all types of children, we as adults should take all children, no matter a disability and have joy for both to celebrate that we are all gods children. That one day we will stand before God and answer for our short commings. I take numerous children fishing as often as I can, for to see a child catch a fish for the first time gives me joy beyond belief. All children are precious, All.

My ducks fly backwards
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide