Forums46
Topics538,257
Posts9,734,890
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: HOG.DOGS] #3846490 12/14/12 03:58 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
popcorn popcorn bolt popcorn

Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: bayourat] #3846766 12/14/12 11:17 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Nobody owns the airspace

No, but they pilots may still be in violation of air space laws, though I am sure most work hard to avoid such transgressions. Otherwise passthru doesn't appear to have a legal leg to stand on with the claims of "hunting" and "trespassing."

From Wiki..

Quote:
In the United States, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has the sole authority to control all airspace, exclusively determining the rules and requirements for its use. Typically, in the "Uncontrolled" category of airspace, any pilot can fly any aircraft as low as he or she wants, subject to the requirement of maintaining a 500-foot (150 m) distance from people and man-made structures except for purposes of takeoff and landing, and not causing any hazard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rights

Obviously, they sometimes do fly less than 500 feet. So the question is whether or not they are doing so over people and structures (takeoffs and landings don't apply here) and creating a hazard.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #3846964 12/14/12 01:54 PM
T
TheWhiteNinja Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Passthru your thoughts really dont make sense how can somebody tresspass if they are in a heli? If they land then yes but doesnt sound like that happend

Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: TheWhiteNinja] #3846993 12/14/12 02:04 PM
P
passthru Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
If they fly over a unwilling land owners property with the intent of forcing feral pigs off of his land onto a piece of property where they have permission to shoot I differ with you. And if you watch them or the videos, they are way under 500 feet. The ones up near Olney were good.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: passthru] #3847006 12/14/12 02:07 PM
P
passthru Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
May not be illegal but unethical and should be illegal if it isn't. We like having hogs. They extend our hunting seasons and are good to eat. I'm not for annihilating them. You never will but in Olney it sure killed our hog hunting for about 2+ years. Wasn't worth going.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: TheWhiteNinja] #3847013 12/14/12 02:10 PM
U
urbnat Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
I live right in the middle of the helicopter debate here in Knox county. The guys that fly here were part of the movement to get it legalized to take paying hunters along. Some don't mind it, some hate it. Either you have a landowner that likes to hunt and claims that the helicopter guys are running the deer off or you have farmers loving the fact that the helicopter is removing crop wrecking hogs from the area. One thing I have learned is there is always someone not going to be happy.

Personally, I love having hogs around. It gives me something else to hunt. It gives lots of guys here a good extra income from trapping or the sales of hunts. On the same notes, Dustin and the guys at Cedar Ridge Aviation are enjoying success in their venture. I think it does good to keep a check on numbers around here and am fine with it as long as the deer herd is not adversely affected in a bad way.

Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: urbnat] #3847848 12/14/12 06:04 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
If they fly over a unwilling land owners property with the intent of forcing feral pigs off of his land onto a piece of property where they have permission to shoot I differ with you. And if you watch them or the videos, they are way under 500 feet. The ones up near Olney were good.

They can fly under 500 feet all day long, so long as they don't violate air space rules. Being under 500 feet isn't a violation in and of itself.

You can differ with your definition of hunting, but it doesn't match the legal regulations and so your argument is flat.

Unethical? Everyone has their own ethics. You may think it is unethical, but those in favor of it do not. Funny how that works. That is why there are laws which serve as a basis of what is or is not allowed.

Speaking of which, what has your local GW and legislator said about these things that you see as such terrible events. You have spoken with them, right? How about the FAA?

Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #3847964 12/14/12 06:46 PM
P
ProneOutfitters Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I've got a neighbor who owns about 16 sections in the Hill Country and he has his places leased to some out of state hunters. Three weeks ago one was sitting in a deer blind when a chopper flies over the fence and starts shooting around the feeder.
I don't care if hogs have torn up every thing on that place. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be sitting next to a tree close to the feeder with my bow, then have a chopper open fire right next to me. I don't care what you call it, if you don't have permission to hunt the place, don't hunt it. If you need to fly over my place to get to the other side because you have property you can hunt over there, do so, but do it legally.
I wouldn't care if I had a hog problem or not. If it was my property they were shooting on I'd be pissed either way.

I know this is a little different from the OP.

Anyways, I think there should be some type of law against purposely running any animal off of another person's property. If pigs are running, so is every other animal. If that were the case, I guess if you wanted to spend the $ you could have someone fly over the neighbors to scare deer into an open field where you have shooters lined up?? This would likely be more cost effective than regular hunting, but should it be legal?

Tree falls on neighbors high fence. Fly chopper over high fence to force all the animals to the broken area of fence and shoot whatever comes over?

If it doesn't "match the legal reulations" then maybe we should consider a change in those regualtions.

Clay Herzog

www.Proneoutfitters.com
Clay@Proneoutfitters.com
682-300-4008
Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: passthru] #3848010 12/14/12 07:00 PM
D
deewayne2003 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: passthru
May not be illegal but unethical and should be illegal if it isn't. We like having hogs. They extend our hunting seasons and are good to eat. I'm not for annihilating them. You never will but in Olney it sure killed our hog hunting for about 2+ years. Wasn't worth going.

So basically your having a free range hog farm for sport and dont care if your home range hogs cross the fence and destroy other peoples property - as long as they come back so that you can shoot them for fun?????

This is the same thought process where DUMB A*&^'s trapped hogs and transported them to areas that were hog free simply because they wanted to hunt them!

Spoke with a land owner if west texas that caught a hog trapper releasing all the piglets from his traps; his response....

"So I can come back and catch more to sell!"....WTF? The average feral hog will cause $1,500 in property damage in its lifetime!

If you want the hogs to run around on your place and never leave - THEN FENCE YOUR ENTIRE PERIMETER WITH HOG WIRE!

Tell the Helicopter guys that its a free range hog facility, then you have a legetimate cause for concern.

Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: deewayne2003] #3848585 12/14/12 10:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
If pigs are running, so is every other animal.

In watching numerous videos of the aerial herding of feral hogs, I would say that you are in error. Animals may run, briefly, and are overflown.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/14/12 10:03 PM.

Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #3849413 12/15/12 02:41 AM
P
ProneOutfitters Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
If pigs are running, so is every other animal.

In watching numerous videos of the aerial herding of feral hogs, I would say that you are in error. Animals may run, briefly, and are overflown.

I feel your argument is in error, considering the scenario we are speaking of is not likely shown on footage. Have you seen video of choppers hearding hogs onto another property? Either way, put yourself in the shoes of a landowner who's place is being disrupted. If I owned property I wouldn't care what the hell you were hearding off my place. If I wanted it gone, i'd do it myself or ask someone to do it.

Clay Herzog

www.Proneoutfitters.com
Clay@Proneoutfitters.com
682-300-4008
Re: Helicopter hunting should be illegal? [Re: bayourat] #3850844 12/15/12 06:52 PM
P
prkrgrp Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
blm public lands have allot of what they call land locked public areas, this is public land locked out to the public by private land owners who surround the public land, it is legal to fly over the private land to the public land and then hunt, once on the ground though there are other rules to follow, I'm not sure what this has to do with hogs anyway, I think most ranchers don't give a crap how the pigs are removed they just need the help controlling them, but like everything else it only takes 1 idiot short of a few cards to screw it up for everyone, and lets not forget the money, allot of these guys are so narcissistic they can't control there greed for fame and glory let alone the money they make selling tv, ads, products ect. IMO

Last edited by prkrgrp; 12/15/12 06:56 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide