Print Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: grout-scout] #3845428 12/13/12 11:29 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
There's a lot of misuse of terminology, misunderstanding and misinformation.

The state does not OWN the animals. The state has regulatory authority over wildlife resources. There's a huge difference in those two concepts.

Here's another question: The thread about the day lease in Doss brings this to mind. What's the difference in the greedy property owner that allows every single animal on his property to be shot and killed and a high fence ranch owner?

I'll tell you. Generally, one cares nothing about morals, ethics, management or conservation. He is driven only by greed and makes money off of wildlife to the detriment of surrounding property owners and the wildlife in general. The other preserves, manages and conserves the resource for the future.

Some of y'all bash HF's but don't say a thing about those day lease operations that conduct wholesale slaughter of OUR wildlife.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: LandPirate] #3845488 12/13/12 11:46 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Those day hunters are just like the HF guys stir

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: txshntr] #3845692 12/14/12 12:41 AM
B
bassinbiker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
haha....that's funny, although not true--in my opinion of course...

BTW, i am not necessarily against HF....just feel all native species should not be kept in by force/restraint/fence....now, if one wants to keep them out(like the neighbor in grout's example) then I see no issue with it...just like the backyard in his example - I have the right to keep him out of my backyard/pool/etc...but, i don't have the right to keep him in my backyard....

Greg
US Army 1SG/Retired
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: bassinbiker] #3845723 12/14/12 12:46 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: bassinbiker
haha....that's funny, although not true--in my opinion of course...

BTW, i am not necessarily against HF....just feel all native species should not be kept in by force/restraint/fence....now, if one wants to keep them out(like the neighbor in grout's example) then I see no issue with it...just like the backyard in his example - I have the right to keep him out of my backyard/pool/etc...but, i don't have the right to keep him in my backyard....

You wouldn't want me back there, I'm not pretty when naked! grin

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: grout-scout] #3845941 12/14/12 01:41 AM
B
bassinbiker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
heck, you and me both....

Greg
US Army 1SG/Retired
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: LandPirate] #3846044 12/14/12 02:02 AM
C
Conchoman76 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
There's a lot of misuse of terminology, misunderstanding and misinformation.

The state does not OWN the animals. The state has regulatory authority over wildlife resources. There's a huge difference in those two concepts.

Here's another question: The thread about the day lease in Doss brings this to mind. What's the difference in the greedy property owner that allows every single animal on his property to be shot and killed and a high fence ranch owner?

I'll tell you. Generally, one cares nothing about morals, ethics, management or conservation. He is driven only by greed and makes money off of wildlife to the detriment of surrounding property owners and the wildlife in general. The other preserves, manages and conserves the resource for the future.

Some of y'all bash HF's but don't say a thing about those day lease operations that conduct wholesale slaughter of OUR wildlife.

Good post.

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Conchoman76] #3846067 12/14/12 02:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
It must be the Holiday Season with all this anger being spewed hammer

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: stxranchman] #3846118 12/14/12 02:20 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

trout

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: grout-scout] #3846127 12/14/12 02:22 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

trout

Just fence your dang ranch and get it over with already whip

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: stxranchman] #3846166 12/14/12 02:31 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

trout

Just fence your dang ranch and get it over with already whip

Well, now that wouldn't be fair to the neighbors! But I'd sure love to see the looks on their faces if we ever do. Really hope we can sell it though.

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: grout-scout] #3846271 12/14/12 02:55 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
When someone fences deer in, they also fence deer out. Seems to even out.

Still don't know why so many people care what someone does with/on their property. The whole, "I don't like it, so you shouldn't do it," mentality baffles me.

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Sneaky] #3846583 12/14/12 04:35 AM
G
Growin Wild Outdoors Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Still don't know why so many people care what someone does with/on their property. The whole, "I don't like it, so you shouldn't do it," mentality baffles me.

i dont like them because i have witnessed the effects of them first hand on my small home place i got fenced in on three sides cutting off almost all of my deer and pig activity granted i had never seen any monsters on my property but the opportunity was there and had actually harvested deer and pigs there every year prior to the fence going up if nothing else i enjoyed watching them drink from my tank during the summer months i have a deer lease now but it still chaps my arse when i think about how it use to be before the fence basically it comes down to money and if you have enough of it who cares what the poor folk around you think so for now i will be the most annoying neighbor around i shoot often primarily last couple hours of light (Prime Time)and i have the loudest four wheeler around and i hope he enjoys it every time he tries to have a peaceful evening in his stand

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Growin Wild Outdoors] #3846684 12/14/12 06:03 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: combatkustoms

i dont like them because i have witnessed the effects of them first hand on my small home place i got fenced in on three sides cutting off almost all of my deer and pig activity granted i had never seen any monsters on my property but the opportunity was there and had actually harvested deer and pigs there every year prior to the fence going up if nothing else i enjoyed watching them drink from my tank during the summer months i have a deer lease now but it still chaps my arse when i think about how it use to be before the fence basically it comes down to money and if you have enough of it who cares what the poor folk around you think so for now i will be the most annoying neighbor around i shoot often primarily last couple hours of light (Prime Time)and i have the loudest four wheeler around and i hope he enjoys it every time he tries to have a peaceful evening in his stand

Well, that's how owning property works. He's allowed to put up a fence. You're allowed to raise hell. That's the joy of it all.

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Growin Wild Outdoors] #3847024 12/14/12 02:13 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Sometimes you just gotta think about it... you very well may be the reason the hi fences went up. How big a place did you have and how much shooting did you do on it? If they are trying to manage what deer they have the 5 acres next door that shoots a bunch is probably gonna get fenced out.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: bassinbiker] #3847091 12/14/12 02:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Don't know who all was "crying" that you were referring to....but, I was simply stating my opinion, if that is crying in your world, then i feel sorry for you.

Again, I don't think HF hunting "lessons" the hunt(in most cases), I just feel it is wrong to keep the native species from going where they want to go, when they won't to go there.....

And I feel it's wrong for hunters to shoot immature deer. I think everyone who shoots a deer younger than 5.5 yoa should have to pay a penalty to the state.

Tongue in cheek, of course, but you get my point (I hope).

to your point, I don't think the young ones should be shot either, but I thik that young deer should have the option to jump my fence and get shot by my neighbor who doesn't manage like I do...I hope you get my point(I hope)

you act like deer just roam fencelines longing to get to the other side.

FYI, deer can jump an 8' fence. but the habitat is typically so much better on a HF place, more food, water and women(does) , why would they want to get over to the other side?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: txtrophy85] #3847110 12/14/12 02:30 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
and for the record, the reason that it is written that the wildlife belong to the "people of the state of texas" goes back to fuedal systems where the "king owned the deer"

if you shot a deer, it was the kings deer, even if it was on your land(which was almost impossible cause the king owned the land)

this is why its written the way it was written.

its not written that "the people of texas should have an equal ownership in the wildlife in the state"

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: grout-scout] #3847316 12/14/12 03:26 PM
N
Nightbird Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Sorry, just feel that the native "free roaming" animals should be given that opportunity and I believe that a HF prevents that. If you own the land, then yes, you can say who can and can't hunt those native species....but, those animals should have the opportunity to jump your fence and live elsewhere.

Now that you brought up the detrimental to the sport argument..I believe that anti-hunters and those wishing to stop hunting altogether get alot more support when they bring up the "killing deer in a pen" argument. Again, I don't fell that is true in most cases and the deer are not tame, or trapped to the point that hunting them is easier. I am just saying, it is easy to spin an anit-hunting argument where HF's are concerned.

Funny, last time I heard about PETA they were protesting all hunting, not just the HF hunting in Texas. Ever been to a national forest and seen how land locked the citizens around it make it? No HF's there.

What makes you feel like deer belong to the state (other than it's written so the state has the authority to make money off the hobby)? Do you feel like Axis, Hogs, Fallows, Blackbuck Antelope, etc. should be the "states" deer too? I had to drill a well to keep the deer alive on my property (not HF either but in West Texas), shouldn't I get a reimbursement? If a deer runs into the side of my truck the state doesn't claim that its their deer then, so elaborate why should the state say they own the deer?

Just for argument sake now.. If you say they are your deer and they leave your property and run into the side of my truck are you going to pay for it? Or all of a sudden they are not your deer and magically they become the States again?

James

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Nightbird] #3848305 12/14/12 08:33 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
[/quote]=nightbird Just for argument sake now.. If you say they are your deer and they leave your property and run into the side of my truck are you going to pay for it? Or all of a sudden they are not your deer and magically they become the States again? [/quote]

If I have a cow, horse, chicken or pig that gets out, who pays for the car? You ever heard of anybody claiming the cow, horse, chicken or pig after an accident?

See you agree, they were never the states deer to begin with. The deer belong to themselves and are lucky WE the people take care of them, however that might be HF or LF. We are only their caretakers, although breeder deer are definitely owned.

Last edited by grout-scout; 12/14/12 08:44 PM.
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Growin Wild Outdoors] #3848308 12/14/12 08:35 PM
C
Conchoman76 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C

That's why you bought that loud exhaust!!

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: grout-scout] #3848326 12/14/12 08:41 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Just for argument sake now.. If you say they are your deer and they leave your property and run into the side of my truck are you going to pay for it? Or all of a sudden they are not your deer and magically they become the States again? [/quote]

If I have a cow, horse, chicken or pig that gets out, who pays for the car? You ever heard of anybody claiming the cow, horse, chicken or pig after an accident?

See you agree, they were never the states deer to begin with. The deer belong to themselves and are lucky WE the people take care of them, however that might be HF or LF. We are only their caretakers, although breeder deer are definitely owned.

[/quote]

cow gets out and the landowner is responsible for the damage that is incured if it gets hit.

only exception to the rule is if the road is marked "free range" then its the drivers responsibility to avoid the livestock

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Conchoman76] #3848333 12/14/12 08:43 PM
C
Conchoman76 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
You should post the video of your 4-wheeler on here. Sounds awesome cuz!

Last edited by horton5303; 12/14/12 08:47 PM.
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: grout-scout] #3848342 12/14/12 08:45 PM
N
Nightbird Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
[/quote=nightbird]]Just for argument sake now.. If you say they are your deer and they leave your property and run into the side of my truck are you going to pay for it? Or all of a sudden they are not your deer and magically they become the States again?

[/quote]

I have not agreed one way or the other. I have not even posted my opinion on this topic because I think it is an endless debate that will always go on. I was just asking a question about your question. cheers

James

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Nightbird] #3848391 12/14/12 09:04 PM
J
Jay Brown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
For all you HF's, the argument about the deer wanting to stay on the hf side because life is better, that is a crock! Deer will go where ever they want for lots of reasons, mainly because they can. A HF is for one reason only, to prevent egress and access of deer to adjoining properties. And the idea that you want to keep deer out is also a crock. If you are honest with yourself, you know that if you had property that had a portion completely fenced, and low fence on an adjacent side, and while hunting, a huge buck appeared on the low fence side, you would still shoot him! There ain't no getting around that! If you feel comfortable shooting a deer behind a high fence, that is fine. But it don't the skill required to kill one on open range. Even on large acres. JB

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: Jay Brown] #3848405 12/14/12 09:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Jay Brown
For all you HF's, the argument about the deer wanting to stay on the hf side because life is better, that is a crock! Deer will go where ever they want for lots of reasons, mainly because they can. A HF is for one reason only, to prevent egress and access of deer to adjoining properties. And the idea that you want to keep deer out is also a crock. If you are honest with yourself, you know that if you had property that had a portion completely fenced, and low fence on an adjacent side, and while hunting, a huge buck appeared on the low fence side, you would still shoot him! There ain't no getting around that! If you feel comfortable shooting a deer behind a high fence, that is fine. But it don't the skill required to kill one on open range. Even on large acres. JB

So you have hunted both I see since you are versed in how deer live and act in both?

Re: Do you agree?? [Re: stxranchman] #3848435 12/14/12 09:17 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Okay, it doesn't require the same skill as it does to shoot one low-fenced. So what?

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide