Print Thread
Breaking problem #3840112 12/12/12 02:43 PM
T
Tuoms Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
So when I train my dog he does great. I have him 'kennel' in his blind, he stays there. I fire the dummy launcher, he waits, looks at the bird, I send him he gets it, brings it back and kennels again.

When we hunt...As soon as we pop out of our layouts and he sees the birds he breaks and takes off running. Had to hold off on a few shots because he was in the way. Extremely frustrating. I don't know how to train him any different because he does great training. Is this something where I just need to put my gun away on a few hunts and work with him while others hunt?

[Linked Image]
Re: Breaking problem [Re: Tuoms] #3840426 12/12/12 04:20 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
You have to use and treat huntin situations as training opportunities. You can't worry about shooting, in fact I wouldn't shoot at all until this is fixed. You have to worry about the dog and his obedience. Let your buddies shoot and you worry about the dog. It's not that you haven't taught him, it's the situation that makin him not think straight.

Mud Shark

Re: Breaking problem [Re: Mud Shark] #3840637 12/12/12 05:23 PM
940AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted By: Mud Shark
You have to use and treat huntin situations as training opportunities. You can't worry about shooting, in fact I wouldn't shoot at all until this is fixed. You have to worry about the dog and his obedience. Let your buddies shoot and you worry about the dog. It's not that you haven't taught him, it's the situation that makin him not think straight.

X2
I have done this before. Put me and the dog about 15' away from the blind, and I put him on his stand.
I put my gun up and just worked the dog. It will work, but you have to be consistent, just like any training.

No bad days hunting
Re: Breaking problem [Re: 940AC] #3841000 12/12/12 07:34 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Put the gun away and work on it. Only thing to do.

Re: Breaking problem [Re: 940AC] #3841355 12/12/12 09:35 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: 940AC
Originally Posted By: Mud Shark

X2
I have done this before. Put me and the dog about 15' away from the blind, and I put him on his stand.
I put my gun up and just worked the dog. It will work, but you have to be consistent, just like any training.

Good advice from everyone. I dog that doesn't break while hunting is going to break someday soon. Collar conditioning him to the electric collar will give you an added steadying tool.

Do you shoot any live birds over him in training?? Chances are if you did, your dog would break and you could correct it in training.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Breaking problem [Re: Angie B] #3844803 12/13/12 08:41 PM
d1a2v3 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Good advice. The collar will help greatly

Re: Breaking problem [Re: d1a2v3] #3845930 12/14/12 01:38 AM
M
Maddux_ Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Also you might try some non retrieves. meaning you/helper throw dummies and don't let the dog retrieve make him steady. have a you, a helper, or someone else go get the dummy. add in blank pistol and maybe popping up and shooting blank pistol.
when doing this only let him retrieve 25% of thrown/launched dummies.
steadiness should improve with this drill just takes time

the theory here is that you dog is pumped and knows he is about to get to go get something b/c thats how you've trained him.
Launch dummy he retrieves it.
this teaches him just because there's action on your part does not mean he gets to do anything but sit there and be a good dog

Last edited by Cupped&Committed; 12/14/12 01:41 AM.
Re: Breaking problem [Re: Maddux_] #3847466 12/14/12 04:05 PM
J
jcav Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: Cupped&Committed
Also you might try some non retrieves. meaning you/helper throw dummies and don't let the dog retrieve make him steady. have a you, a helper, or someone else go get the dummy. add in blank pistol and maybe popping up and shooting blank pistol.

the theory here is that you dog is pumped and knows he is about to get to go get something b/c thats how you've trained him.
this teaches him just because there's action on your part does not mean he gets to do anything but sit there and be a good dog

+1

If he is still having problems you could even switch to a 60/40 of what you pick up vs what he retrieves. Also since his reward is the retrieve once he breaks and brings the bird back do not let him get any more birds.

JSC
Re: Breaking problem [Re: Maddux_] #3852919 12/16/12 04:32 PM
T
Tuoms Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Cupped&Committed

I've done this. I use a dummy launcher with .22 blanks. If he breaks before I give the command or doesn't watch the dummy, I have him stay in his kennel and go pick it up myself. Like I said, training is great, its the adrenaline and excitement when he sees live birds coming into our spread that everything he learned goes out the window. I will put the gun away and focus working on him in hunting situations.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide