Print Thread
This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. #3826586 12/08/12 03:14 AM
T
Tatsun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
So I only went out once last weekend and didnt stay too long, I had my 7 year old boy with me and he was sick.
I checked the game cams, and all I saw were pigs, pigs, pigs and more pigs!
I did have the nice 10-point I have been seeing all year show up, but always at night, but other than that, nothing, nada.

So, my thinking is that its the hogs keeping all of the deer away. Since i set my feeder and blind up back in September, I had so many deer coming to my feeder, I couldnt count all the pics, and the hogs stayed away, up until about 2 weeks ago.
3-4 big sows, and probably about 20-25 piglets, and also seen a few boars. Its rediculous, and I am pulling the gloves off.

Do you guys think, that if I bait my hunting area near my feeder with the usual concoctions of hog attractants so I can take a few out tomorrow evening, will it have a negative impact on seeing anymore deer? I am worried that too much hog attractant, big red and such will only cause more hogs to come in and keep the deer away. Or do you think that shooting a few of the hogs when they are in a group will keep them away for awhile?
I am fed up with them, and i have yet to take a deer this year, so something must be done.
thoughts?

Re: This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. [Re: Tatsun] #3826629 12/08/12 03:29 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I've witnessed this as well, simple fix get some T - post and a roll of this stuff to fence off your feeder so they can't reach it and that will end their reign of terror, I've also heard of guys doing this with a solar powered hot wire about a foot off the ground and that doesn't seem to bother the deer.......Shooting them will some times discourage them as well, the ones that survive somtimes seem to shun areas where they smell death, but not always......
http://www.tractorsupply.com/general-pur...er-wire-3610147

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. [Re: lakewaydr50] #3826760 12/08/12 04:11 AM
D
DocBailey Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Stake plenty of t-posts in the ground and wrap it good with some cattle panel. If you stake it up good enough even the Roman army won't be able to knock it over!

Re: This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. [Re: DocBailey] #3826865 12/08/12 04:47 AM
T
Tatsun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Its a problem where I hunt. I hunt out in Palo Pinto off of 281 &254 on top of a large Hill, almost a small mountain, and the area is very rocky. I had a helluva a time just trying to stake down my blind.
I hunted the same place last year, and same problem, but once I laid into the hogs, i didnt see them around for quite some time.

Re: This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. [Re: Tatsun] #3828122 12/08/12 10:19 PM
N
no-guts-no-glory Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Well, I had pigs coming to my feeder during the daylight hours. But I started shooting the pigs! Now the pigs come to my feeder after midnight according to the game camera photos, which gives deer an opportunity to feed at the feeder during daylight hours.

Re: This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. [Re: no-guts-no-glory] #3828173 12/08/12 10:47 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
We have the same problem on every place that I hunt and we shoot every hog we can, it's kind of become an obligation around here the last few years if you see a hog shoot it. In the off season we hunt the hogs hard day or night doesn't matter I love to sit in one of my blinds with my ar and night vision scope. On my ranch in Hood County I have been able to discourage them by shooting them, but on my lease in Parker county we have been shooting them as much as possible and we still see one in the morning or evening on ocassion but they have gone mostly nocturnal after killing a bunch of them, I think that may encourage the deer to come eat in the day more often.

Now in the off season we shoot them and drag them off but still leave them pretty close to the feeder we just don't leave them under the feeder the bodies are usually gone in a day or two anyway. I've seen whole donkey bodies disappear over night!

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. [Re: gunnut81] #3828427 12/09/12 12:35 AM
T
Tatsun Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Hoping Mrs. Clause (wife) brings me a night-vision scope for Christmas.

We baited the area pretty good this morning after hunting deer, heading out in a couple of hours to wait for them to come in. I will update with what we get, if any.

Re: This means WAR!!! Pigs are running the deer off. [Re: Tatsun] #3829280 12/09/12 01:04 PM
S
SlaminEm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
we had the same problem at our lease.so we declared open season on them.we killed quite a few.we see apig ever once in a while.they go to were they dont get shot at.which is your neighbor's pasture's oh well cures your problem for now.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide