Help finding (and advise) a new pup #3810029 12/03/12 11:24 AM
D
dcrancher Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Howdy All,
I am looking for a new pup to be used in my hunting operation. My 9 year old yellow lab is having hip issues; at this point, getting to go hunting is harder on him than not getting to go. My current lab is the english style, blocky head and large bodied. My only complaint for him as a gun dog has been his endurance, particularly on warmer hunts and longer blood trails.
The work for the new pup (in order of importance) is as a retriever, both ducks and dove, blood trail dog (6 or 8 retrieves thru the year, although he has the opportunity for lots of practice) and finally, some annual pheasant hunting.
My questions to any and all are: What breed to you recommend?
If lab, would you switch to an American style, smaller faster lab?
Do you have a favorite breeder for your choice?
Litter timing is not much of an issue; willing to wait for a good one.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Deep Creek Ranch
www.deepcreekgameranch.com
Scimitar-horned Oryx/Fallow/Elk/Blackbuck/Aoudad/Whitetail
Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: dcrancher] #3810193 12/03/12 01:45 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Labs are hard to beat. They're just very versatile. I'd also look into a Vizsla and the DD (don't know the actual spelling). My suggestion to you is this:
No matter what breed you buy, do your home work on the litter. Make sure the parents have PROVEN hunting backgrounds (not just the owner saying he's a great hunting dog). Secondly, and you may already be doing this, but make sure you do your part to keep your dog in shape. If it's 100 degrees and you're covered with thick hair and can't sweat, you'd be hot and tired too and it wouldn't take much. We can't expect a dog to hang out for 6 months from February to September 1 and be in tip top shape. I know that different dogs have differents traits and qualities, but endurance shouldn't be a problem or an issue with a dog until they get to be 10 or so.

I don't have much experience in anything but labs, but www.retrievertraining.net always has good litters.

There are some folks on here that can help you with the Vizsla and the DD.

Good luck. I hope this helped

Mud Shark

Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: Mud Shark] #3810635 12/03/12 04:09 PM
C
CurlyBillTucker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Labs will be the number one choice but don't overlook the other breeds. I have a Boykin. Completely different personality but a good choice for hot weather dove hunts. They are harder to find but if you are not stuck on a lab it is worth the effort.

A Vizsla will more than likely be our next dog, still researching.

Tucker

Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: CurlyBillTucker] #3810822 12/03/12 04:59 PM
D
dcrancher Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
I actually had a chance to meet Nancy Boykin while staying at her B&B when I was in college, super lady and definitely a cool breed. Afraid the grass burrs in Texas might be a little much for the coat on a Boykin. Any experience with burrs getting caught in the curls? BTW I love the pic of yours breaking ice!
My father-in-law has a Drahthaar, that is a breed I have alot of respect for. My concern with the german breeds is that (in my limited experience)they tend to be one-man dogs; at times other guides would need to be able to use him/her.
Even with steady training/exercise my current yellow has struggled with stamina (definitely more in the heat), but he is a pure english style lab, seams like the more streamlined American version might be better suited to the heat? (Love to hear from guys who have had both)
Thanks for the quick responses; please include any breeders you have experience with and would recommend.

Deep Creek Ranch
Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: dcrancher] #3810867 12/03/12 05:09 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Thought the big blocky head labs were the American version and the small fast ones were the british kind?

Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: dcrancher] #3810937 12/03/12 05:23 PM
C
CurlyBillTucker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: dcrancher
Afraid the grass burrs in Texas might be a little much for the coat on a Boykin. Any experience with burrs getting caught in the curls?

He is a burr magnet. If he crashes through a cockleburr bush, you can expect a good amount of "bonding" time getting those things out. He gets trimmed before dove season now and it is not a problem anymore. He is the AfroDog version of Boykins, I believe the flatter coat ones would not be as much of a problem.

Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: CurlyBillTucker] #3811273 12/03/12 06:44 PM
D
dcrancher Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
From The Labrador Retriever Club:

The working/field or "American" style of dog is the label often attached to a Labrador possessing lighter bone structure and exhibiting more length of leg, a less dense coat, and a narrower head with more length of muzzle.

The conformation/show or "English" style Labrador is generally thought of as a stockier dog, heavier of bone and shorter on leg and with a denser coat, and having a head often described as "square or blocky."

Deep Creek Ranch
Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: dcrancher] #3811652 12/03/12 08:48 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
This is Jack @ 11mos. British/American cross from IronSpike Kennels (contact Dawn Bello). The boy is staying pretty long and lean @ 70lbs, and has plenty of energy! Got him in Feb. and worked him in a lot of 100 degree weather (w/water and caution). Haven't had any problems.

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: Ol_Yeller] #3811925 12/03/12 10:01 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
A boykin works nicely. Most folks have them trimmed down for hunting season. They are a little different to train and I wouldn't recommend them for a first dog, but a solid dog none the less. They are a "busy" dog so keep that in mind. A spaniel is a spaniel.. wink

We breed labs that are a combination of the American and English style lab. Many of our clients find the American style lab too high maintenance and active for the casual hunter with a family. The English style has more of the classic labrador looks but not necessarily a lot of drive or intelligence. Combining them both gets you a good looking dog with classic looks, that's easy to live with and train.

Make sure you get health clearances on both the parents. Hips, elbows, eyes, and EIC.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: Angie B] #3815512 12/04/12 10:01 PM
T
Tmec Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
How about a Deutsch Drahthaar they can do all of the things you want.

http://www.vddgnabrc.org/ Here is a link to info about them

Freedom is not Free
Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: Tmec] #3817376 12/05/12 12:39 PM
D
dcrancher Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Tmec can you recommend a breeder?

Deep Creek Ranch
Re: Help finding (and advise) a new pup [Re: dcrancher] #3817380 12/05/12 12:42 PM
D
dcrancher Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Also, what are DD owners feelings about them being one-man dogs; i.e. not working for folks other than their owners?

Deep Creek Ranch
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide