Ever been camping and wanted something sweet, but did not want toasted marshmallows and/or s'mores?

Here are a few suggestions.

Instant Jello Pudding
Jello recently came out with individual packets of Vanilla and Chocolate pudding, all you have to do is add cold milk and mix. Don't want to bring milk to camp? Bring powdered milk and mix together with the pudding - then add ice water.

Fried Pies
Pre-made pie pastry, canned fruit filling, and icing made with powdered sugar and water.

Roll or pat out the pie pastry (or you can roll out a canned biscuit thin) and if necessary cut into 5 inch pieces. Put a tablespoon or so of fruit filling in the center, cover with another piece of pastry or another biscuit. Put a little water around the edge and seal.

Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown, turning as needed.

When done, let drain on a rack or on paper towels, and either sprinkle with sugar or with a simple glaze - 1 cup powdered sugar, add water a few drops at a time till it is the consistancy you want.

Deep-Fried Cake

OK, some of you have tried this (have been my guinea pigs). I have been working on this for a couple of years now, and I have figured out how to get it to turn out right, most of the time.

Things NOT to do:
DO NOT use a cake mix that has pudding in the mix.
DO NOT use your home stove top - it doesn't get hot enough.

But with that over, it really is easy:

1 box cake mix. or 2 of the Jiffy cake mixes.
1/2 of the # of eggs the recipe calls for (if it calls for 3, use 2)
Place the mix(es) into a bowl, and add the eggs. Mix. Ad water slowly, mixing all the while, till you have a batter like a hushpuppy or a drop cookie. If you see small lumps it is ok.

HEAT OIL TILL IT IS AT LEAST 375 degrees. Drop batter by spoonfulls into the hot oil. What should happen, is the dough will drop to the bottom, then pop up to the sop, still in (roughly) ball-shaped.

When golden, remove to a rack or paper towels.

You can sprinkle them with sugar, a glaze like the fruit pies, or you can make a flavored glaze by mixing a little water with a ready to spread frosting.

ENJOY