Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,937
Posts9,743,175
Members87,125
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts #3811731 12/03/12 09:07 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
I get a lot of calls from people wanting to book a hog hunt. Some ask about a low fence free range hunt and other want a high fence guaranteed shot opportunity hunt or meat hunt as some call them.

I was wondering how the percentages would balance on the answer if the price was the same for a single hog hunt. Also if a second hog could be taken at a fixed 1.25 per pound, how many would take a second hog?

Thanks - Craig

Re: Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts [Re: Capt Craig] #3812397 12/04/12 12:31 AM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Well if I had to choose and it costs the same, I would prefer the HF hunt. I would never pay someone to come shoot hogs though, I leave most of the ones I kill in a pile. Would depend on how big the second hog was for a second shot and also would depend how much the first one costs.

Re: Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts [Re: blancobuster] #3815996 12/05/12 12:06 AM
S
SATX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Totally confused by the question.

I understand HF hunting for trophy deer and am down with that. What would be the point of HF hog huntin? If it's just a meat hunt, go to the store. Way cheaper than paying for gas to get there, the hunt itself, any field dressing/cleaning, tips to guide, then the trip back.

Not trying to be an [censored], just trying to fiugre out why anyone would want to hunt for hogs in a HF scenario. Are we talking trophy hogs with cutters to match, or simply every day hogs running around on a HF'd property.

Re: Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts [Re: SATX] #3816857 12/05/12 03:43 AM
B
Bruce33 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
To me it would depend on the size of the property. I love to hog hunt but my only opportunities are usually paid hunts on high fenced property. I personally wouldn't high fence hunt for hogs on anything under 250 acres. Since im paying I like it that your at least guaranteed that there are hogs in the area, if you have a reputable guide, but not guaranteed that you will easily score. Ideally I would only low fence hunt if I had the choice.

Re: Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts [Re: Bruce33] #3816918 12/05/12 03:54 AM
A
altez Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Never been a HF person for any type of hunting. But that's just me! Happy hunting!

Re: Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts [Re: SATX] #3817360 12/05/12 12:27 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: SATX

I understand HF hunting for trophy deer and am down with that. What would be the point of HF hog huntin? If it's just a meat hunt, go to the store. Way cheaper than paying for gas to get there, the hunt itself, any field dressing/cleaning, tips to guide, then the trip back.

Not trying to be an [censored], just trying to fiugre out why anyone would want to hunt for hogs in a HF scenario. Are we talking trophy hogs with cutters to match, or simply every day hogs running around on a HF'd property.

There are tons of ranches that only do hog hunts in a fence some of the fences are not high but do hold hogs with panels or some type net wire. You gotta remember there's a lot of states that don't have hogs and those people want to hunt em, its not like they can come down on all our public land and hog hunt. They are cheap to hunt and easy for ranches to get, everybody wins. I have 1200 acres in Jack County full of em but have still paid to hunt em in a fence. It's just good times.

Re: Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts [Re: SATX] #3817395 12/05/12 12:53 PM
J
jmc82 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: SATX

Tgere was a fenced hog hunting operation in commerce Texas a few years back. There biggest selling point was the guaranteed kill. You could sgoot a hog up to like 200 lbs. Anyfhing bigger had a trophy fee.

I never went but drove by many times. Looked too much like fishing in a barrel

Re: Which do you prefer: Low fence or High fence hog hunts [Re: jmc82] #3818622 12/05/12 07:31 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Thanks for everyone's input. We have 130,000 acres of open/free range, but I get a lot of calls asking about a guaranteed shot opportunity. On average on a two day hunt with 4 separate times in the field, clients typically see hogs 50-75% of the time. But either due to poor shooting skill or no shooting skill and the fact that it is dark, they miss and then suddenly want a kill pen hunt.

I was just trying to see if it was an equal cost to either do a real hunt where you risk not getting an animal versus a kill pen what people would choose. Most of our hunters come from Russia, Germany, Canada, and "way north" America, so it is not really the same for most of us in Texas and similar areas that can just go out and hunt.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide