Forums46
Topics539,655
Posts9,752,216
Members87,173
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Heads Up to Silverado Owners with AFM Engines [Re: redchevy] #3809936 12/03/12 06:21 AM
kenterhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: thewrap
I used to work for an oil change place. Everyone of those motors came in low on oil. It didn't matter what kind of oil they were using every single AFM motor was atleast 1.5 qts or more below minimum level. Even had a few come back after just 1500 miles and it was low.
We never could figure out what caused it but if that were my truck I'd be scared.

I have only had '1' truck that didnt use oil. It was a 2010 dodge cummins and that thing made oil, with the polution junk it had on it it put something back in the oil through the egr system I believe and the oil level would come up.

Other than that every vehicle I have ever driven used oil(other than moms old yukon which never pulled a trailer) OUt of 2 duramaxes, too many gas chevy's to count, a 5.9 cummins 7.3 ford and a variety of gas dodges all of them used oil.

My old '94 chevy with a 350 in it used a quart of oil every 1000 miles from about 100k miles on to 265k when I sold it. My truck ran in 4 cylinder mode this morning for almost 10 miles non stop no issues. What makes it happen all of a sudden?

Gaurantee you your using the wrong oil. No way all those would use oil unless mistreated-hot or long intervals.
Lube joints use the cheapest crud they can get-Pennzoil/quaker junk. Regular Valvoline is the best for the price. Good luck

Re: Heads Up to Silverado Owners with AFM Engines [Re: kenterhunter] #3811289 12/03/12 06:51 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: kenterhunter
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: thewrap
I used to work for an oil change place. Everyone of those motors came in low on oil. It didn't matter what kind of oil they were using every single AFM motor was atleast 1.5 qts or more below minimum level. Even had a few come back after just 1500 miles and it was low.
We never could figure out what caused it but if that were my truck I'd be scared.

I have only had '1' truck that didnt use oil. It was a 2010 dodge cummins and that thing made oil, with the polution junk it had on it it put something back in the oil through the egr system I believe and the oil level would come up.

Other than that every vehicle I have ever driven used oil(other than moms old yukon which never pulled a trailer) OUt of 2 duramaxes, too many gas chevy's to count, a 5.9 cummins 7.3 ford and a variety of gas dodges all of them used oil.

My old '94 chevy with a 350 in it used a quart of oil every 1000 miles from about 100k miles on to 265k when I sold it. My truck ran in 4 cylinder mode this morning for almost 10 miles non stop no issues. What makes it happen all of a sudden?

Gaurantee you your using the wrong oil. No way all those would use oil unless mistreated-hot or long intervals.
Lube joints use the cheapest crud they can get-Pennzoil/quaker junk. Regular Valvoline is the best for the price. Good luck

I have never had my oil changed at an oil change place like you state(wal mart, jiffy lube, or even a dealership)

I know how to take care of my vehicles and tend to put alot of miles on them. I dont drive them like I stole them as in hot roding around town, but Id bet more than 1/2 of the miles I put on a vehicle are with a trailer behind it.

I Use quality oil. My first pickup was broke in on conventional oil and then swiched over to mobile 1 changed every 3k miles. It burned oil the same on day 1 as it did 17 years and 265k later. My curent 5.3 chevy has 30k miles on it and uses about a quart in a 6000 mile change interval running mobile 1.

The only oils I have run in my trucks are mobile 1 and Rotella in the diesels, both are quality and the change intervals have not been abused.

I think 100% of the people who think their vehicle doesnt use any oil probably take it somewhere and its a quart low and they just dont know it.

I dont know why they use oil, they just do. I have also never had an engine problem past an alternator or water pump either.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Heads Up to Silverado Owners with AFM Engines [Re: redchevy] #3821060 12/06/12 02:46 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I had an '07 Z71 and at about 50K miles it started burning a quart of oil every 3,000 miles or so. I ran synthetic Mobil 1 and changed it myself every 7,500 miles and would have to add 2 quarts between changes. The mileage also went from 19 on the highway to 13.7 and the dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it. Buddy of mine who is a mechanic said almost all 5.3s start blowing by the rings around that same mark. He said just keep pouring oil in them and they will run forever. BUT, he didn't have a lot of experience with the 4 cylinder mode engines and the best thing I have heard you can do with that is get a programmer and shut that off so it runs in 8 cylinder mode only. Traded that truck in on an Ecoboost and haven't missed it a day.

Re: Heads Up to Silverado Owners with AFM Engines [Re: aggiehunter03] #3837864 12/11/12 09:24 PM
K
Katy Tigers Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Wow- I just bought a 2012 GMC Sierra, 5.3 Z71 in April. I think I have 6600 miles on it. I traded in a 06 GMC Z71 with 66,000 miles on it. Never had any problems with the 06, other then the 4 wheel drive switch had to be changed out due to it changing into 4 wheel drive while driving.

I just changed the oil in the 2012 but didn't check to see if it was low on oil. The only concern I have noticed it is running rough when stopped at a red light.

Re: Heads Up to Silverado Owners with AFM Engines [Re: Katy Tigers] #3837909 12/11/12 09:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Katy Tigers
Wow- I just bought a 2012 GMC Sierra, 5.3 Z71 in April. I think I have 6600 miles on it. I traded in a 06 GMC Z71 with 66,000 miles on it. Never had any problems with the 06, other then the 4 wheel drive switch had to be changed out due to it changing into 4 wheel drive while driving.

I just changed the oil in the 2012 but didn't check to see if it was low on oil. The only concern I have noticed it is running rough when stopped at a red light.

Well heck if you trade the '12 in with less than 100k on it your good to go as any isues with it will be covered under warranty.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Heads Up to Silverado Owners with AFM Engines [Re: Dodge_Rock] #3907158 01/02/13 03:29 AM
H
Hunt Texas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Dodge_Rock
I've replaced the Z71 with a Ram Lonestar 4x4 5.7 Hemi. Hope to get back to keeping a truck 8-10 years & > 300K miles.

You know, if GM had helped a little on parts, or the dealer on labor, I might not have even started this thread. That would have been a mistake. By getting this info out, I may have helped someone else in this community. At least I hope so.

I sincerely hope you have better luck than some of my buddies have had with Ram 1500's and driveline issues. The hemi is a great engine, but from there back lies the problems. Failed transmissions, dropped driveshafts, and rear end issues. I really like the Ram, and the interiors are very nice in my opinion. The coil spring suspension rides great as well. It's just too bad the reliability just isn't there, or I would have bought one vs my 13 Sierra Denali 6.2. I like the styling better on Rams than my GMC (dated) but feared I'd wind up looking good sitting on the side of the road broken down in Nowhere, Texas on the way back from the lease.

Re: Heads Up to Silverado Owners with AFM Engines [Re: kenterhunter] #4031741 02/07/13 10:43 AM
J
Jug Head Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Yeah they have problems with the AFM system, the lifters go bad and the pistons don't get proper lube from running dry with no gas in them. if you don't want 4 cyl mode and they are fixing it under warranty tell them not to put in the AFR lifters in they can put normal 5.3 lifters in it. I think the 2007 models had a lifter recal. The 5.3 is a great motor I had a 05 with 350K ran as good the day I sold it as it was new.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide