Forums46
Topics538,140
Posts9,733,462
Members87,070
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txbobcat] #3806128 12/01/12 09:19 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
Ever seen a few years worth of Kerr studies???

Or do you just go by someone out to make a bucks $$ study?

I know all about the Kerr study....and parts of it are absolutely absurd, and totally unscientific.

In regards to your second question, I will say this....

If given the choice between a government funded organization and a privately funded individual, I will go with the private individual nearly every time.

Do you seriously believe everything Texas Parks & Wildlife tells you simply because they are a government organization? Lord I hope not...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3806239 12/01/12 10:23 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
The bottom line is that big deer (over 170" B&C) are rare. It doesn't matter what the deer looks like as a yearling. Most of the spike yearlings are going to be 140" deer at maturity....and most of the 6-8 pt. yearlings are going to be 140" deer at maturity

absolutely correct, except that average is closer to 130. Take all our mature bucks on all the ranches I hunt and you'll come up with an average of about 135"

I think that this thread has become a bunch of armchair quarterback's arguing about managment practices that they haven't implemented in real life.

rofl I disagree. I think it has become a bunch of wannna be managers that take credit for herds on established ranches and claim to be experts because they read one paper.

Insults can go both ways, but they establish nothing. Most people don't resort to them unless they have no further argument up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txshntr] #3806258 12/01/12 10:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
KCCO

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3806443 12/01/12 11:55 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Seems like the more we learn about deer management, the less we know....

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Longhunter] #3806464 12/02/12 12:03 AM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
If I shoot every other spike I see, am I still right? scratch

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: fowlplayr] #3806519 12/02/12 12:23 AM
D
DeerTamales Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: fowlplayr
If I shoot every other spike I see, am I still right? scratch

It's a toss up grin

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3806574 12/02/12 12:50 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
You found the miracle buck great for you. Really doesn't prove anything.

Overall those spikes will never average what their multi branched antler siblings will. I and most of Texas have too many deer so I will consistently take the lowest genetics out of each class.

The seriously managed ranches I have ran we didn't had spikes. If you did see one it was something to talk about...of course right after he is on the ground.

Spikes are great for dreamers (and folks that play the lottery) thinking that "just maybe" he grow into a giant.

Are you sure about that?

Apparently you did not read the study. Dr. Kroll proves your statement incorrect. See below...(chart taken from the study)

At 5.5 years old, the average B&C score of bucks in the two samples was LESS THAN ONE PERCENT different!! So if these two bucks were standing next to each other.....one scoring 139 3/8" and the other scoring 140 5/8"....are you seriously trying to tell me that you could tell the difference in them?? (not to mention being able to tell which one was the "inferior" spike as a yearling). Give me a break.

And do you not know that that study sucks, and is a terrible paper? Go look at the Caesar-Kleberg articles like I've asked you to, and you'll see that Kroll is a quack.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: KWood_TSU] #3806736 12/02/12 01:45 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Yep Kroll is after the $$$

If he goes along with something that has already been said he doesn't capitalize on the $$.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: KWood_TSU] #3806749 12/02/12 01:49 AM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

Overall those spikes will never average what their multi branched antler siblings will. I and most of Texas have too many deer so I will consistently take the lowest genetics out of each class.

The seriously managed ranches I have ran we didn't had spikes. If you did see one it was something to talk about...of course right after he is on the ground.

Spikes are great for dreamers (and folks that play the lottery) thinking that "just maybe" he grow into a giant.

Are you sure about that?

Apparently you did not read the study. Dr. Kroll proves your statement incorrect. See below...(chart taken from the study)

At 5.5 years old, the average B&C score of bucks in the two samples was LESS THAN ONE PERCENT different!! So if these two bucks were standing next to each other.....one scoring 139 3/8" and the other scoring 140 5/8"....are you seriously trying to tell me that you could tell the difference in them?? (not to mention being able to tell which one was the "inferior" spike as a yearling). Give me a break.

And do you not know that that study sucks, and is a terrible paper? Go look at the Caesar-Kleberg articles like I've asked you to, and you'll see that Kroll is a quack.

Dr. Kroll is far from being a "quack....but please give me a link to the Caesar-Kleberg articles, I would like to read them.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3806790 12/02/12 02:01 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I could have written that up for Kroll without any of the info.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txbobcat] #3806813 12/02/12 02:13 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Wonder how many folks who praise ARs and a sudden slight increase in buck sightings actively look for something to cull....

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3806977 12/02/12 03:18 AM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
the research and studies my uncle did back in early 80's at The Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute are the foundation for my management practices.........

So are you a landowner or long term lessee' who has implemented management strategies (whatever they may be) on a property for a number of years?

I did not own the Zapata ranch the owner is a family friend. I was on the ranch the day they bought it Sept 1992. My uncle implemented the program after the first hunting season. It was a shot out POS, 6 mature buck counted in the first Helo survey February 93'. That same spring after buying it the HF went up. we did not shoot any bucks for aprox. 3 years after that all spikes were shoot on sight and as we started getting the age classes balanced, year 7 on we started shooting management bucks based on inches and age. 2010 9 trophies were harvested all scoring 150" or better with the biggest being 190". We saw several 200" deer over the years but never were lucky enough to harvest one. one buck was a typical 18 pt. which we had several sheds. This property was used only for family and friends. No supplemental feed, NO "breeder/ introduced" deer, No BS strait native home grown. We ran an adult deer to 40 acres.

I use the term owner of our Brackett ranch loosely because its my wife's.... but I run the hunting side. I collect all data confer with my uncle and implement.... we are 4 years in. Its a different scenario obviously, as we are low fence and we have 28 lease hunters. our range is different and the deer are different. at this point we bringing our deer to 1:25 acres from 1:15 acres. With regular hunter turn over its challenging keeping them off 3&4 year olds and the last biologist had crappy goals and didn't enforce his crappy plan anyway.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3806996 12/02/12 03:24 AM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

Are you sure about that?

Dr. Kroll is far from being a "quack....but please give me a link to the Caesar-Kleberg articles, I would like to read them.

as I pointed out before that data is grossly incomplete and potentially misleading

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: SingleShot85] #3807054 12/02/12 03:40 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Listen up, guys.

You should all shoot spikes and eat them. They're delicious.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: cameron00] #3807096 12/02/12 03:56 AM
K
krazy kris Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
If its down is all I care about

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: cameron00] #3807122 12/02/12 04:09 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Listen up, guys.

that's SOOOK true. Yet when I have a genetically altered/superior spike that was like...150" the. I'd wait

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: cameron00] #3807149 12/02/12 04:18 AM
T
tkuehn5410 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Listen up, guys.

I have a friend with a high fence place 10 miles from our lease in the Panhandle. For the last 2 years both our lease as well as his place that he owns has had 60% of his 1.5 year old bucks being spikes. The previous 4 years he had less than 10 percent of 1.5 year olds as spikes...what's changed????

We are in a drought and the deer are stressed and don't have the nutrition to exhibit their true genetic potential.

IMHO, if you are at carrying capacity, then shoot more does and let the bucks grow up...

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Eland Slayer] #3807197 12/02/12 04:34 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Read until your blue. Very well done research, with the best researchers out there. All of their studies take 10 years. The Caesar-Kleberg research institute is pretty awesome, and you can learn a lot
http://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/?id=56

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: rifleman] #3807259 12/02/12 04:53 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman
the debate about the kerr study isn't so much about the pens, it's about selective breeding which cannot be replicated in a natural environment. The same way you get stud bucks in a breeding program by matching up good pedigree, they were doing the same thing with trash pedigree in those pens to get to the conclusions they wanted.

And that is the dirty little secret nobody citing the study ever wants to discuss.

Let'em grow old
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: rtp] #3807267 12/02/12 04:58 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Regarding the question as to the tags staying in the deer's ear for 5 years, the answer is yes. I hunted and helped with the capture part of the study being done on one of the south Texas ranches from 2001-2003. Bucks that were caught that had previously been tagged, simply had data taken and then released. Sometimes the tags did come out but for the most part they did stay with the buck until he died.

Let'em grow old
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: txtrophy85] #3807276 12/02/12 05:02 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Just a thought....

How many people who are touting the Kerr study are landowners or been actively involved in managing deer for antler size over a number of years?

In other words, who has firsthand experience on managing a deer herd?

Great question. I spent a number of yrs around those directly responsible for managing a LF deer herd and now Im 7 yrs into doing it myself and I feel like Im still learning something new every year.

Let'em grow old
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: DoubleTrouble] #3807293 12/02/12 05:08 AM
D
duckcentral Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: DoubleTrouble
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
again where is the paper....... what are you traking with the does?????? or is she just tagged for the heck of it

They are tagging all of them at the zoo! Native doe also..

I guess he isnt going to speak about the tag in the does ear. lol. Probably another joke they call research being conducted on her.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: rtp] #3807310 12/02/12 05:17 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: rtp
Just a thought....

How many people who are touting the Kerr study are landowners or been actively involved in managing deer for antler size over a number of years?

In other words, who has firsthand experience on managing a deer herd?

Great question. I spent a number of yrs around those directly responsible for managing a LF deer herd and now Im 7 yrs into doing it myself and I feel like Im still learning something new every year.

I dabble around with a cpl places, but wouldn't say I'm managing for antler size. I'm managing on a shot out, former type 2 place, just to try to get the age classes stacked from 1-6. Have had rules set since 2005, both sides of the place now hunted instead of being rotated and the guys are starting to see some 150s on cams and a bunch of younguns where you used to not see much of squat.

Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: blancobuster] #3807531 12/02/12 01:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The size of the head and ears when shown as a spike is not the size of any 1.5 year-old deer that I've ever seen. In fact, it appears to be virtually the same size in all the images. Several other characteristics of the spike photo just don't appear "characteristic" of a 1.5 year old deer as well.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Why you shouldn't shoot yearling spikes... [Re: Texas Dan] #3807559 12/02/12 01:36 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
The size of the head and ears when shown as a spike is not the size of any 1.5 year-old deer that I've ever seen. In fact, it appears to be virtually the same size in all the images. Several other characteristics of the spike photo just don't appear "characteristic" of a 1.5 year old deer as well.

So what are you insinuating?

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide