Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: pegasaurus] #3803990 11/30/12 11:18 PM
T
TXHogger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
this is really disconcerting. i am sure there are respectable processors out there but all these stories are scary. i never put too much thought into the "getting someones meat that you don't know wth they did with it before you got it".

i just hope the one in strawn is good...

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: East] #3803998 11/30/12 11:23 PM
F
Flat Cat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I was a butcher since birth. IMHO they all process all deer at the same time not one at a time. That is why I process mine myself.

Seen it everywhere, the evidence speaks for it self.

Anyway, if you want sausage it cost nearly the same to process as the cost of pork/beef sausage in the store. I could never justify the cost and it all taste the same.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: TXHogger] #3804025 11/30/12 11:36 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: TXHogger
this is really disconcerting. i am sure there are respectable processors out there but all these stories are scary. i never put too much thought into the "getting someones meat that you don't know wth they did with it before you got it".

i just hope the one in strawn is good...

Last time I used a processor I had 80 lbs of smoked pork sausage links made. It was aweful! Absolutely no way that was my meat. I've been eating it all of my life & know what it's supposed to taste like. No doubt I got someone else's meat that didn't take care of it properly. Not to mention it was expensive nasty sausage.....that was it for me.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: East] #3804026 11/30/12 11:36 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I had used the same processor in Plano for a long time. Only had a couple of minor issue's before last year. Last year was a mess. Brought 2 bucks in skinned and backstraps removed. Ordered Summer Sausage, Links, Chili cuts and spicy breakfast sausage.

They called said my order was ready, went to pick it up and it was only part of my order for $262.00? I said is that for all of it & they said no. So I got them to calculate my balance and it was going to be about $500. So after him & I adding it up 3 more times we settled on what we thought was right and wrote it down.

Oh boy the fun starts! They call me for the rest of my order is in, I go in talk to the same guy who remembers me and I show him our price agreed upon. Well he starts re adding and tries to charge me an extra $60 + dollars.

Well after a few choice words out of my mouth he went back to the agreed upon price. They are really nice people but they use butcher paper and the product is nothing special. I certainly will not use them anymore!!

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: Flat Cat] #3804030 11/30/12 11:37 PM
T
TXHogger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Flat Cat
I was a butcher since birth. IMHO they all process all deer at the same time not one at a time. That is why I process mine myself.

Seen it everywhere, the evidence speaks for it self.

Anyway, if you want sausage it cost nearly the same to process as the cost of pork/beef sausage in the store. I could never justify the cost and it all taste the same.

based on economics, i would have to agree here. reading people say they do one at a time, it just seems that at some point the processor cannot sustain this because he is not making money. a serial process like that will cost him his business in today's cutthroat world. we all want a deal but we want top quality work

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: jab3006] #3804270 12/01/12 12:59 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I dropped one off at a processor two weeks ago.... if the job goes as usual, it will be my last trip to one!. I took a doe to one in Strawn last year... not a huge doe. I got back 4 2lb ground meat, 1lb of jerky, a softball sized roast and 6 packs with 3 pieces of butterflyd back strap.

The best part of going to Strawn twice was eating at Marys!

Last edited by hoof n wings; 12/01/12 01:32 AM.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: hoof n wings] #3804600 12/01/12 02:45 AM
East Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Well I opened my first wrap of cutlets tonight to cook for dinner. It was practically hamburger meat formed into a steak that you had to use both hands to pick up. It kept falling apart. Makes me sick. I had nowhere to hunt this year but OK and this is what I got on return. Damn

I think I should make a trip back up there and get my money back.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: East] #3804976 12/01/12 04:46 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: East
Well I opened my first wrap of cutlets tonight to cook for dinner. It was practically hamburger meat formed into a steak that you had to use both hands to pick up. It kept falling apart. Makes me sick. I had nowhere to hunt this year but OK and this is what I got on return. Damn

I think I should make a trip back up there and get my money back.

Bad deal man. If you chose to start doing your own get a good electric grinder with all the attachments to do the sausage and jerky etc. There is a place called Mineola Meat Packing where you can go and buy natural casings for the sausage. If you start with the right equipment you will be amazed at how easy it is. It can be done cheaper but expect to spend $3-400 on good equipment that will last you for years.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: wp75169] #3805000 12/01/12 05:01 AM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I process all my own deer and have for years now. Only thing I get done is summer sausage by someone else. I have grinders and saws. If anyone needs a good saw let me know as I have two Butcher Boy saws if you want to get into doing your own.

Just do not trust processors and they make a killing off hunters. No pun intended.

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #3805078 12/01/12 06:02 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I only use Kuby's. I garantee you will always get your meat, and your order will be right. I've seen their operation from the inside. They are absolutely honest, ethical, and professional.

It scares me to hear about some of these small town/small time processors. But if you use someone reputable, you don't have these problems.

Btw, Kuby's has been doing about 8-10 animals a year for me for years. Axis and other exotics, whitetail, and hogs.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: Huntmaster] #3805181 12/01/12 09:40 AM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
i promise, if you quarter that deer, take out the two backstraps,and anything else you want. put it on the very top of ice in a chest, watch it and drain the water off each day for 3 to 4 days. Always keeping the meat cold---you will never go back. don't worry about the waste, get in your kitchen, take your time and slice it anyway you want to. you will be amazed. good luck

I have watched my mom and dad do it this way for 36 years, we've never had a bad experience. It really isn't all that much trouble.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: TRIJI....WHAT] #3805238 12/01/12 12:11 PM
T
TXHogger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TRIJI....WHAT
I process all my own deer and have for years now. Only thing I get done is summer sausage by someone else. I have grinders and saws. If anyone needs a good saw let me know as I have two Butcher Boy saws if you want to get into doing your own.

Just do not trust processors and they make a killing off hunters. No pun intended.

why don't you do your own sausage?

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: TXHogger] #3805246 12/01/12 12:24 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
For you guys that only use processors I have a question for you. How much meat do you think you should get back? In pounds that is. I'm very curious since I have always done my own cutting & grinding and know how much I get off every deer.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: grout-scout] #3805324 12/01/12 01:28 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It should be about the same weight. The drop off weight includes bone but that is closely off set by adding pork or beef to your sausage. So if you get 1/2 cut and 1/2 sausage the bone will be cut out but 1/2 of the sausage weight will be casing, spice, pork, water. That would be close to 1/3 of he total weight. So it about evens out when deboned.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: pegasaurus] #3805347 12/01/12 01:50 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
It should be about the same weight. The drop off weight includes bone but that is closely off set by adding pork or beef to your sausage. So if you get 1/2 cut and 1/2 sausage the bone will be cut out but 1/2 of the sausage weight will be casing, spice, pork, water. That would be close to 1/3 of he total weight. So it about evens out when deboned.

Yes but curious what some of the guys who say they didn't get back enough meat think they should get back. Again in pounds.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: grout-scout] #3805483 12/01/12 02:48 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I deboned and trimmed a doe last year and probably only came away with about 25#s minus the backstraps. I take my deer to Kuby's because i really like there sausage and find that it gets ate way quicker this way.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: ChrisB] #3805521 12/01/12 03:05 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The only processing I have done for me is smoked sausage. I have the local high school do it for me. I just can't make it tastier than they can.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: grout-scout] #3805586 12/01/12 03:38 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Yes but curious what some of the guys who say they didn't get back enough meat think they should get back. Again in pounds.

i never checked but i would say about 40% of a gutted deer maybe 35%

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: vanguard] #3805647 12/01/12 04:16 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Im glad im not a deer processor because nobody is ever happy.

Not singling a person out but everybody does nothing but ?itch

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: Payne] #3805658 12/01/12 04:19 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Payne
Originally Posted By: Curtis
I have two that I trust. One in Halletsville and on in New Braunsfels.

Janaks?

No. Actually I have never used them. It was years ago that I used the one in Halletsville.I do not remember the name. It was a friend of a taxidermist. But since they charged more for shipping meat for my customers, I made a switch to Rust in New Braunsfels. I still have trust in either one that that I will get what I ordered and it be my meat that I brought in. Its just a price difference for me and my customers. The quality on most items was about the same.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: grout-scout] #3805708 12/01/12 04:47 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
For you guys that only use processors I have a question for you. How much meat do you think you should get back? In pounds that is.
The 1st thing my processor does is weigh it. IMO - the reason he does this is to give you a good idea of how much meat to expect so that you can more accurately request your order.

The flip side - it leads me to believe they process in bulk. Never gotten any bad met back from them so I will continue to use them.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: fowlplayr] #3805836 12/01/12 06:10 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. BLUFF DALE DEER PROCESSING. You get YOUR deer back and it is done right. They look at each kill and even smell the meat. I've even seen them cook a small cut of meat off an animal, and taste test it. They won't accept it if it seems the least bit 'Edgy'. I can certainly understand someone wanting to process their own deer, it's part of the hunting experience, and saves you some money. Heck I've processed mine for years. Not anymore, $90 shrink wrapped and custom cut, I'm in!

Last edited by Erathkid; 12/01/12 06:11 PM.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: Brother in-law] #3805955 12/01/12 07:26 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Im glad im not a deer processor because nobody is ever happy.

Not singling a person out but everybody does nothing but ?itch

That's what I'm thinking. Earlier this week I saw one of the local meat processors here in Gonzales. He told me that he will only process deer meat if you bring it in already boned out so that his customers have a really good idea of how much meat they are going to get back. He also told me that it doesn't help much at all when a customer brings back blood shot meat and blown out guts all over the meat. A lot of the meat is wasted from that when they process it.

Personally I have seen people bring in some deer that were pretty disgusting and dirty and not cleaned properly so I have often wondered exactly how much difference that really makes. Just saying.

I always clean mine before putting it into the ice chest and nothing goes in there that has gut material on it, leaves, grass, dirt, or anything else and I get pack what I expect to get back.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: Curtis] #3805961 12/01/12 07:30 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Curtis

Earlier this week I saw one of the local meat processors here in Gonzales. He told me that he will only process deer meat if you bring it in already boned out so that his customers have a really good idea of how much meat they are going to get back.

Sounds like he wants people to break the law.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Think I am done with processors [Re: toolman] #3806101 12/01/12 09:03 PM
H
Hunter_812 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: toolman
James Processing

X2

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index