Forums46
Topics538,115
Posts9,733,136
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: splash556] #3762837 11/16/12 09:33 PM
G
GriffGruff78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: splash556

Does any one have an opinion/experience with this round as a hunting round. Is my experience normal and is my worry realistic or am I over thinking this? Would any of you look for another round or stick with what seems to shoot the best out of this gun.

I went through a sleeve of the same bullets with a very similar experience. The first deer I shot with it was a management 9 pointer. He was big bodied and did a cabriolet kick on the shot before running into the brush full tilt. I didn't have any emotion when I fired and knew I had made a good squeeze, but when I got down to the place he was standing to look for blood I couldn't see any sign of a hit at all. No blood, no hair, no nothing. I looked in the direction he had run and started heading in that direction blindly. Nothing. I started to worry that I had missed him and wasn't quite sure how I was going to explain this to the guys. I felt a little gutshot, to be quite honest. I walked about fifty yards looking for blood or other sign but couldn't find squat, then just so happened to spot a flash of white in patch of prickly pear. He had run about 100 feet and dropped dead. Little entry wound a smidge behind the shoulder and a teeny, tiny exit wound smaller than the entry wound with a single drop of blood running out of it. It looked like a shard from the jacket or maybe just the polymer tip was all that exited. When I opened him up I couldn't really tell heart from lung from bone fragments. He was absolutely shredded. Pretty efficient fragmentation I guess.

I shot a doe in the neck later that year with no exit wound; same story, small hole outside, bloody mess inside. Another doe that I shot through the heart had a 0.308" hole on one side and a hole about the size of a dime on the other. The bullet clipped through a rib and never slowed down or deformed at all as far as I could tell.

I shot a pig in the neck who had a small entry wound, no exit wound, but his head literally fell off when I skinned him.

I guess that the performance is actually very good, but I just can't get comfortable with a 30 caliber bullet that doesn't pass through. I've gone back to the green and yellow box, but those silvertips did seem to group REALLY well.

FWIW, everything I've shot with one has died really fast, I just like having a blood trail to follow if I need it.

Last edited by GriffGruff78; 11/16/12 09:36 PM.
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3762852 11/16/12 09:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: dwoo

This is the entrance hole. No exit bullet blew up on hide at 200 yrds. last time i will use BT . I dont like injecting lead into anything i am going to eat. Barnes only now

Thats a damn nice goat suxs you lost the cape. Same thing happend to me with a serria gameking...I pretty much exclusive now with ttsx or partition

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: GriffGruff78] #3763371 11/17/12 02:47 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: GriffGruff78
Originally Posted By: splash556

Does any one have an opinion/experience with this round as a hunting round. Is my experience normal and is my worry realistic or am I over thinking this? Would any of you look for another round or stick with what seems to shoot the best out of this gun.

I went through a sleeve of the same bullets with a very similar experience. The first deer I shot with it was a management 9 pointer. He was big bodied and did a cabriolet kick on the shot before running into the brush full tilt. I didn't have any emotion when I fired and knew I had made a good squeeze, but when I got down to the place he was standing to look for blood I couldn't see any sign of a hit at all. No blood, no hair, no nothing. I looked in the direction he had run and started heading in that direction blindly. Nothing. I started to worry that I had missed him and wasn't quite sure how I was going to explain this to the guys. I felt a little gutshot, to be quite honest. I walked about fifty yards looking for blood or other sign but couldn't find squat, then just so happened to spot a flash of white in patch of prickly pear. He had run about 100 feet and dropped dead. Little entry wound a smidge behind the shoulder and a teeny, tiny exit wound smaller than the entry wound with a single drop of blood running out of it. It looked like a shard from the jacket or maybe just the polymer tip was all that exited. When I opened him up I couldn't really tell heart from lung from bone fragments. He was absolutely shredded. Pretty efficient fragmentation I guess.

I shot a doe in the neck later that year with no exit wound; same story, small hole outside, bloody mess inside. Another doe that I shot through the heart had a 0.308" hole on one side and a hole about the size of a dime on the other. The bullet clipped through a rib and never slowed down or deformed at all as far as I could tell.

I shot a pig in the neck who had a small entry wound, no exit wound, but his head literally fell off when I skinned him.

I guess that the performance is actually very good, but I just can't get comfortable with a 30 caliber bullet that doesn't pass through. I've gone back to the green and yellow box, but those silvertips did seem to group REALLY well.

FWIW, everything I've shot with one has died really fast, I just like having a blood trail to follow if I need it.

Had sorta similar performance on a basket-rack buck several years ago. Shot him @ last light, heard the bullet slap, and he went down so fast that I though he ran, and I just lost sight of him. We went to look and found him laying on his side with a mouthful of wheat, and just looked like he was sleeping. We couldn't find a drop of blood on him, but when I started poking around behind his shoulder where I was aiming, it got really squishy. whn we loaded him in the truck, one drop of blood escaped and ran down the shoulder. When I opened him up, it looked like he'd swallowed a hand grenade-the heart was liquefied, as was the lower half of both lungs, but there was no exit.

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: toolman] #3765818 11/18/12 09:38 AM
R
rusky Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Shot a doe with a 7-08 at 60 yards. Small entrance, half dollar sized exit. Lungs were liquid. She went 20 yards and fell over. Been using them in 223 for tires forever. I recommend them as a game getter.

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: rusky] #3766560 11/18/12 05:51 PM
S
seacam Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I used to use 150 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in my 300WSM. Went on a Red Stag hunt with it. Shot a stag at 90yds right on the shoulder. The bullet exploded on his shoulder and did not penetrate onto the body. Found him 3 days later. With that being said I still use them for white tails. I have never lost a deer to BST's. They were all DRT. However if I am going after anything bigger or tougher then I am using 180grn Accubonds.

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: seacam] #3766585 11/18/12 06:02 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: seacam
I used to use 150 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in my 300WSM. Went on a Red Stag hunt with it. Shot a stag at 90yds right on the shoulder. The bullet exploded on his shoulder and did not penetrate onto the body. Found him 3 days later. With that being said I still use them for white tails. I have never lost a deer to BST's. They were all DRT. However if I am going after anything bigger or tougher then I am using 180grn Accubonds.

+1. If you like shoulder shots on big animals, a Partition might even be a better pick here. But definately NOT a BST or BT for penetration through a stag's shoulder......

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: dawaba] #3767048 11/18/12 09:32 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Originally Posted By: seacam

+1. If you like shoulder shots on big animals, a Partition might even be a better pick here. But definately NOT a BST or BT for penetration through a stag's shoulder......

That's why i like the Accubonds so much I get the accuracy of the BT's with the penetration of the partition.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3774452 11/21/12 12:06 AM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I quit using Ballistic Tip Projectiles because I don't like them
coming all apart, no penatration, and blowing holes out like crazy, because we eat what I shoot that's not a varmit or vermin.
I have a plastic baggie with several pcs. of jackets, ect from my
old 338's and 300 Wthrbys' ect from the BT bullets..They are easy
to reload for and shoot accurately..but wait until you are trailing a deer half the nite and the rattlers are out..I went to Barnes all copper several yrs back, cleaned the uh huh out of
my rifles, and worked up the loads..Avg.d about $150 a rifle not
counting my time..but I got every one of them w/same hole or touching hole groups..sometimes I get lucky and get them in the first batch..and you have to use their Reloading Manual..no exception, unless you are a multi millionaire and want to search for loads..DD

Last edited by Don Dial; 11/21/12 12:07 AM.
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Don Dial] #3779692 11/22/12 08:33 PM
O
oulufinn Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Yep. Bullets are about the cheapest part of hunting. Use a good one.

NRA Life Member

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen" ~ Dennis Prager
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: oulufinn] #3781782 11/23/12 07:59 PM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have used them in my 270 and 7mm-08 for a long time and have had over 100 kills with them with massive holes, blew through shoulders at 200 yards with ease and DRT. I will continue to use them and dont want a bullett to blow straight through and not leave a noticable hit like we saw last week on a deer at about 140 yard by a 300 win with Noslers. I think the WBST are great bulletts and have not let me down yet.

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: BBD84] #3781787 11/23/12 08:01 PM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Oh and I have taken a 5x5 bull elk with the 7-08 at 170 yards and dropped him where he stood with these bulletts. Its all about shot placement and how comfortable you are with your gun. The win BST are great game killers and have proven it time and time again for me.

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3783147 11/24/12 02:45 PM
B
Buglemintoday Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I've never had issues from Ballistic Tips. Have used them out of more than 10 different calibers.

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Buglemintoday] #3784290 11/25/12 01:23 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I've used them with good success on pigs.

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: bigjoe8565] #3785207 11/25/12 04:00 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I hunted Elk at extreme ranges in yrs. past, and whitetails w/both Nosler Ballistic Tips, and partitions, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, ect. I take issue with the Ballistic Tips in most except for Barnes, and I eat what I kill and don't wish to damage
a lot of meat, nor do I shoot shots that I even consider I may have to track any longer. Not as young as I once was. I did shoot a TTSX from my 308 yesterday squarely thru the shoulders of
a 8pt. in Tarpley..He ran about 30yds pushing his front end..had a lot of frothy blood like a lung shot..small hole both sides, insides and ribs very shocked, but no meat damage to speak of..Don

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3800437 11/29/12 09:48 PM
L
Lochsley123 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
I have used the 168gr Silvertips in my 30-06 for years and never had an issue.

Originally Posted by rickym
What kind of lights does it shoot out?
Like are we talkin the mini bulb Christmas lights or a 500 watt flood light?

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3817178 12/05/12 05:35 AM
W
wellingtontx Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I have killed many a deer with BST in my 300 win mag

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3818317 12/05/12 05:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nitro27

This is the entrance hole. No exit bullet blew up on hide at 200 yrds. last time i will use BT . I dont like injecting lead into anything i am going to eat. Barnes only now

I would have to see it happen with my own eyes to believe that was an entrance wound that hadnt been cut around on with a knife. I in no way shape or form believe that someone shot that pronghorn, it fell over and when they got there to pick it up thas what it looked like on the entrance side.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: redchevy] #3826540 12/08/12 02:53 AM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Redchevy why would anyone intentionally ruin a cape on a Boone& Crockett goat by cutting the hole bigger?

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3829518 12/09/12 03:13 PM
M
MB Wilson Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I have had one blow up on a shoulder and had the jacket and core separate on a fallow doe shot in the shoulder at 75 yards with a .270 WSM. But, when they go behind the shoulder, they kill like lightning bolts...... At least my experience

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Nitro27] #3838328 12/12/12 12:03 AM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
The picture above makes my point..I quit using Silvertips, Balistic Tip Noslers, or AMax Hornadys because I kill this stuff
to eat and try to shoot head and neck shots as much as possible.
I had a doe w/a Hornady look just like the Pronghorn a few years
ago and she ran about 80 yds into the Whitebrush and Rattlers..I
didn't like the damage..I have used Barnes in my cull guns in everything from a 22-250 to a 338 Win Mag, and my hunting bud uses them in his 30-378 Wthrby/Sako..and they all mostly get DRT
and we have only recovered 1 projectile in about 15yrs..Don

Re: Opinion on Win Ballistic Silvertips for hunting [Re: Don Dial] #3838552 12/12/12 01:16 AM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Don, if you neck and head shoot then all the ones you listed would penetrate more than enough to suffice, it's when heavy bone is hit that problems arise. I'm curious as to why you waste the Barnes on neck and heads when they were built for penetration.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide