Print Thread
One way being like Germany would be nice #3754313 11/14/12 04:19 AM
T
theserxtremedays Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
In Germany suppressors are not regulated so you can buy them. This is basically Ebay for guns and suppressors, if you live there you could buy it and have it shipped straight to your house. If only we could get OSHA involved and convince them that suppressors are important for the health and safet of shooters.

http://www.egun.de/market/list_items.php?mode=qry&query=Schalld%E4mpfer&plusdescr=off&wheremode=and&order=price&asdes=desc

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.

you must realize that fear is not real, It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand, danger is very real, but fear is our choice!
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: theserxtremedays] #3754551 11/14/12 06:34 AM
T
thedoveshooter Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Yeah, but you have to go through basically a school to earn the right to have firearm and another to hunt.

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: theserxtremedays] #3754638 11/14/12 10:45 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Please help me understand why a suppressor is important to the health and safety of hunters.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: thedoveshooter] #3754782 11/14/12 01:10 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: thedoveshooter
Yeah, but you have to go through basically a school to earn the right to have firearm and another to hunt.

You mean kinda like going thru a CHL class?
Some folks I have seen _NEED_ a lesson or two, though.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: thedoveshooter] #3754980 11/14/12 02:28 PM
R
rentzington Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R

if that would give me the right to just go out and buy suppressors with no wait, then i'll take a class.

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: Dave Davidson] #3754993 11/14/12 02:32 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
Please help me understand why a suppressor is important to the health and safety of hunters.

Because with a suppressor you don't really need hearing protection, I know a few times I've walked right out of the house and forgot mine. That way we won't have a bunch of deaf hunters running around.

[Linked Image]

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: KRoyal] #3755045 11/14/12 02:44 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
They also force their opera musicians to wear ear protection. . . . .

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: Vern1] #3755691 11/14/12 05:40 PM
M
Mr. Jeem Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Vern1

Not sure about gun owning but hunting you need to have like a masters in game management. Liscense an fees are expensive.

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: Mr. Jeem] #3755731 11/14/12 05:50 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I'm not saying be like them in every way just saying if things were less regulated for suppressors it would be nice. A suppressed gun is quieter and more preferable personally. I know it would never happen that suppressors were sold like firearms but you have to admit it would be nice. It would also seriously lower the price tacked on them. Did anyone look at the prices on those, convert it over and your looking at about $100-500 I would have one for every gun at those prices.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.

you must realize that fear is not real, It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand, danger is very real, but fear is our choice!
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: Dave Davidson] #3755774 11/14/12 06:09 PM
G
grasshopperglock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G

The one unintended effect a suppressor has. Is catching the nasty junk after the bullet leaves the muzzle. It helps keep the rifle emissions WAY down. Both in lead containment, and noise pollution.

Suppressors are an excellent way to both enjoy nature and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time. "Cans" are not scrubbed clean in the woods. They are removed from the environment to a location that can insure a maximum clean, and lead disposal.

With the pluses of such a simple, yet very marketable product.

Isn't it time, those as hunters, reduce our carbon footprint?

Suppressors are not weapons. Our cars have noise reduction devises. Why not our rifles? Respect nature, respect our wildlife. Use a suppressor.

*Update. Starting in march of 2013. Texas will require sound reduction devices for pistol cals in the 30-50 range. All rifles hunted with within 300yards of a road.

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: grasshopperglock] #3756507 11/14/12 09:36 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: grasshopperglock

*Update. Starting in march of 2013. Texas will require sound reduction devices for pistol cals in the 30-50 range. All rifles hunted with within 300yards of a road.

Source?

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: TexFlip] #3756809 11/14/12 11:18 PM
G
grasshopperglock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: grasshopperglock

Source?

LOL....My entire post was satire.

That's what would happen if you could buy suppressors without a wait and stamp. Suppressors are not some magic device. The james bond, oh no he's got a suppressor hysteria is over.

They are very effective safety devices.

Last edited by grasshopperglock; 11/14/12 11:21 PM.
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: grasshopperglock] #3757975 11/15/12 06:01 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Very well put I appreciated the humor of it. Seriously politicians are vastly ignorant if you sold it to them as a safety device and said they needed to push legislation to make it safer it might just pass.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: theserxtremedays] #3760075 11/15/12 11:43 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
To some extent, in every country, firearm laws are more or less absurd. It’s made by politicians with little or no knowledge about guns.

Let’s take France for example…

You can relatively easily buy a gun. You just need a hunting permit (much easier to obtain compared to Germany), or a license form a shooting club (pretty easy to get). Same thing for silencers (actually until 2011, the purchase of silencers didn't have any requirements. Now you also need a hunting or shooting permit).

Now the absurd part… Every caliber that is used by military, is classed is a specific category (it’s called war category) that makes the purchase extremely hard and subject to many additional restrictions. For example it’s extremely difficult to have a 308 or 223 rifle (and pretty easy to get a 7-08 or a 222).

That being said, regarding gun laws, in the US (well in Texas at least)we are extremely lucky compared to some other countries (maybe even compared to every other country) . I hate the concept of lobbying (politicians serving the interest of industries instead of people) . The only exception would be the NRA Lobby (it’s a little selfish. I know...)

Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: Dave Davidson] #3760103 11/15/12 11:53 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C

After using one this season, I am changing all my hunting guns to accept my suppressor. Once you hunt with one, you will understand. It's so much quieter, and quicker. I don't have to scramble to grab my hearing protection when that buck comes running out!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: theserxtremedays] #3762115 11/16/12 04:54 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I never really thought much about getting a suppressor. But I was talking to a former forum member that lived in Corinth and had an FFL. I had a pistol shipped to him and he was telling me about his rifle.

He had a 30 caliber rifle (I think a.308) that he handloaded with 150gr RN bullets at subsonic speed. He said he would lie prone about 150 yards from his feeder at night. When a group of pigs came in, he could usually kill every one of them. His rifle didn't make enough noise to scare them off and I guess the tops of their siblings heads popping off didn't scare them either.

I don't have any personal experience with them but I feel as though he was telling me the truth. Just because I don't have a particular need for one doesn't mean that nobody else should be using them.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: Mr. Jeem] #3762363 11/16/12 06:31 PM
C
Chris/HOU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Mr. Jeem
Originally Posted By: Vern1

Not sure about gun owning but hunting you need to have like a masters in game management. Liscense an fees are expensive.

I took the course while I was stationed there. It was the equivalent of a college course on hunting. They covered native species, breeding seasons and gestation, tactics, management, hunting traditions, acceptable calibers for each species (min. amount of force needed to kill), gun styles, optics etc. There was also a shooting portion which included shotguns and rifles. There was also a final written test at the end of the course. Very thorough class and I loved every moment of it.

Gun registration was a pain. You had to get permission before you made the purchase. For instance, if you wanted to buy a new rifle you had to go down to city hall and fill out the form informing them about the gun you wished to buy. They would make the decision based on the guns you already owned. I can't remember the exact number but I'm going to say 8 was the max number of guns you could have...7 long guns and 1 pistol. I will check my license if I can find it. Your guns were listed on your license. Bad news if you had a gun that wasn't! Ammo was 65-100 Euro per box of 20 for my .308.

Last edited by Chris/HOU; 11/16/12 06:31 PM.
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: Chris/HOU] #3762380 11/16/12 06:38 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
OMG! Minimum force to kill??? Nobody on this forum could pass the course. They'd be argueing about that till the cows came home...or they flunked out.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: One way being like Germany would be nice [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3762406 11/16/12 06:47 PM
C
Chris/HOU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
OMG! Minimum force to kill??? Nobody on this forum could pass the course. They'd be argueing about that till the cows came home...or they flunked out.

Go with book answer, argue later up

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide