Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: mcraig] #3722017 11/04/12 11:46 PM
H
Houston Wildcat Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
State

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Houston Wildcat] #3722062 11/04/12 11:58 PM
1ShotNoKills Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
We got a "heads up" by the gw today about separating them out and keeping them that way. Said he doesn't nit pick like that but a fed would.

Love to Cast and Blast
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: 1ShotNoKills] #3722123 11/05/12 12:18 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
i still think its a stupid law.

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: mcraig] #3722126 11/05/12 12:20 AM
B
Bull Sprigs Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Very Stupid law in my opinion! when your out fishing and have a box of reds and trout are they going to say ok guys who caught what? And the twitching teal if he gave you a fine for that it would be nitpicking in my opinion! I understand want and waste,shooting over your limit,ect but they dont have to be jerks about some things, 99% of the gamewardens i have dealt with are totally cool with very few exceptions! Were talking about game violations here.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Houston Wildcat] #3722128 11/05/12 12:20 AM
G
GreyDuck Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Houston Wildcat
Didn't bother to get a name but we we're as far as I know we were in complete compliance minus the ducks being separated. We separated them as he asked. My problem was the bird that was "alive". As all of you know some of them will twitch. We had one headless one that was twitching for an hour. I'm not saying he wasn't doing his job or even doing it poorly I'm questioning the "live" bird thing. The thing freakin' twitched.

Dead birds don't twitch. If it's twitching, it's still alive.

That reminds me. The Walking Dead comes on tonight. grin

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: GreyDuck] #3722151 11/05/12 12:27 AM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
the best way to protect the resource is to make people too afraid of stupid laws to hunt

#sigline
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: GreyDuck] #3722156 11/05/12 12:28 AM
S
SweetTea Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
You guys gotta remember all the morons y'all run into
Out there on opening weekend the wardens have to deal with them also. If you didn't get a ticket then consider it a free lesson and yourselves lucky.

OMG, this is the best slumber party ever!
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Houston Wildcat] #3722187 11/05/12 12:39 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
He's still alive somebody is getting a fine for having a live bird.

Have you found out yet what your fine will be?

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Sniper John] #3722300 11/05/12 01:16 AM
D
Deputy T Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Federal Wardens are brutal and that was coming from a State Warden lol

In God we trust, All others I run through TCIC/NCIC
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Sniper John] #3722305 11/05/12 01:19 AM
B
Bull Sprigs Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Had to vent a little earlier the bottom line is its the Law.Milk crates work great for keeping your birds separate and it sets a good tone for the game warden.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Bull Sprigs] #3722362 11/05/12 01:31 AM
I
ishootspoonies Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I
deputy T.. are you a state warden?

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
I like spoonie, his humor is dryer than my duck lease.
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Sniper John] #3722429 11/05/12 01:44 AM
H
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Fortunately after all was said and done he didn't fine us. Like I said earlier I know he was just doing his job. Just was wondering if anyone had ever had the same problem.

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: mcraig] #3722441 11/05/12 01:46 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Doing his job, prolly had a bad day, the law is the law though.
Q

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Houston Wildcat] #3722758 11/05/12 02:58 AM
G
GreyDuck Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

Fortunately after all was said and done he didn't fine us. Like I said earlier I know he was just doing his job. Just was wondering if anyone had ever had the same problem.

All's well that ends well.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: hpd] #3723142 11/05/12 04:06 AM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: hpd
I don't want the name, but I'm curious as hell as to which GW is was. I've had some issues with GW's around the Houston area. The whole co-mingling issue IS the law, but it wasn't created in order to nitpick a bunch of guys out there who are following the rules as best can be expected. I see plenty of people crossing the street in front of my house and not using a crosswalk, but nobody calls them on jaywalking!

I finished hunting one day in a marsh near Houston with my brother. As we picked up our birds and spent shells, we noticed that some idiot had left a pile of about 30 spent shells behind. We cursed that guy a couple times and then picked up all the shells. As we approached our vehicle, a GW came up and asked us how many shots we had taken and asked to see our spent shells. We gave him an approximate number and then pulled out a huge bag of spent hulls, informing him that we had ours AND a bunch of spent hulls that we had found. He then (with the same frown he had approached us with) told us to separate our hulls and the old hulls so that he could count and ensure that our spent hulls matched the number of shots taken. They matched, of course. But surely the guy could have taken us at our word when we pulled out that big 'ol bag of dirty and rusty spent shells!

Sounds like that GW was bored or having a bad day. I am good friends with a GW and you would be interested to see how they think when their uniform isn't on, they will tell you how they make decisions and what they look for. Its all about how you carry yourself and how you talk to them.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: STXHO] #3723196 11/05/12 04:19 AM
D
Duck Buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My run-in was quite nice. Stood up as he walked toward me, shook his hand, handed him my license/proof of hunters safety, checked my gun for plug, checked my shells, checked my birds, said thank you-good luck and left.

As for birds in a pile- Texas game wardens must be picky. In Cali all they cared about is if you can personally name what you shot and separate them in front of them - whether its on the same stringer or on separate. And of course you aren't over the limit.

The live bird thing is interesting though. I have only had 1 bird (bluebill) that WOULDN'T die. I shot it, rung its neck, bit its head, slammed its head on the stock of my gun, and it finally died on the hike back to the truck. Miserable experience for me, and I am sure more for it. I think it is a weird but reasonable law, because if that bird is still alive, it quite possibly is suffering, and it is our duty, imho, as hunters to make sure our game doesn't suffer.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: mcraig] #3723414 11/05/12 06:12 AM
W
WatersFowler Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Had lunch with a buddy and his GW friend once and the GW told lots of crazy stories about hunters he had caught doing illegal activities. The one that stands out in my mind was a couple of hunters that had a legal limit of ducks and legal weapons....the more questions the GW asked he could tell they were nervous about something. When he asked to check the shells in their bags they were all steel shot. Acting on a hunch, he cut one of them open to learn they were re-loaded with lead.

Moral of the story is that GW's will often ask a bunch of questions to see if you are nervous about anything. If you are.....you are probably going to get busted.

Go ------------> elmer
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: STXHO] #3723428 11/05/12 06:40 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: CoastalPrairieOutfitters
Its all about how you carry yourself and how you talk to them.

^This^

I have had two GW encounters this year.

One during opening weekend of teal season. I was walking along the road from my kayak to where my truck was parked and carrying three canadas. I was late to a family reunion and double timing it.
Game warden passing by saw me, hit the brakes, and I walked up to the road. He admired my geese, we talked about what other hunters in the area had killed, shared stories about the hunting history of the lake, he asked if he could take my picture, then said have a nice day. I interupted and asked if he wanted to check anything and he said no, that he knew I was late, so he would just check me next time.

Other was in Oct on a wma in Oklahoma. I pulled up to a new place with only about an hour of shooting time left. I was pulling my gun out and about to let Dash out of the truck. Game Warden came driving up pretty fast. Asked if I was going to run the pup, I said yes, talked about the Snipe prospects, how much dove where in the area, and listned to stories of his Snipe hunting he did last year. Again, h left with "have a nice day", call me if you ever have any questions, and without checking anything he drove off saying he did not want to take up the little time I had left before sunset.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: ishootspoonies] #3723461 11/05/12 10:31 AM
D
Deputy T Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: ishootspoonies
deputy T.. are you a state warden?

No sir, I am a Sheriff's Deputy. I do work closely with our 2 Wardens....Oh, and hunt with them wink LOL

In God we trust, All others I run through TCIC/NCIC
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: WatersFowler] #3723512 11/05/12 12:10 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: WatersFowler

Moral of the story is that GW's will often ask a bunch of questions to see if you are nervous about anything. If you are.....you are probably going to get busted.

I get nervous everytime I talk to a GW. Don't know why I do but I do. Just because you get nervous doesn't mean your doing something wrong.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Trout-killer] #3723623 11/05/12 01:17 PM
T
Tvilbig Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
Originally Posted By: WatersFowler

I get nervous everytime I talk to a GW. Don't know why I do but I do. Just because you get nervous doesn't mean your doing something wrong.

I think most people get a little nervous around any LEO. I know I do. But theres a little nervous and theres I hope he doesn't find the 30 mallards I shot this morning with a 22.
Also people tend to focus on the thing they are worried about. All my leo buddies say when they were working beat if they would drive by someone and they would grab at a pocket or check their pockets 9 out of 10 times when checked they had drugs in that same pocket.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Tvilbig] #3723656 11/05/12 01:27 PM
H
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
We've been checked at the same spot by a lady twice. As nice as she could be. When we saw her checking other people we went ahead got our birds out of the bed of the truck, laid our license's down took our shotguns out of their bags, etc. Did the same thing for this guy not a smart word out of a singles persons mouth, we know better. I make it a point to be within the law every time I hunt.

- Clint Eastwood

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Houston Wildcat] #3723888 11/05/12 02:33 PM
S
seethemkillthem Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Every body complains about the game wardens but I like them. Think about how many Barney’s and Topwaters got tickets yesterday for the most stupid things and sat in their trucks saying they will never come back out again. Thanks GW. You guys are great.

On a side note I have been checked more times than I could count in the last 5 years and from time to time I would have something not quite right. One time I forgot to fill out the back of my license after shooting a deer and the GW questioned me about that. One time I did not have the registration to the boat with me and the other (yesterday) I did not have my duck stamp attached to the back of my license. In each one of these cases I did not make excuses, I apologized for making the mistake and I have not received any citations from any GW. Believe me they did make me feel like and idiot which was most likely the point. I have not made these mistakes since and try every time to be in compliance no matter if I agree with the law or not.

Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: seethemkillthem] #3723914 11/05/12 02:40 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I was thinking about the commingle problem this morning, and thought what if you put different colored zip ties around their feet. Like one guy all red on his 6 and blue on another guys 6 and so on. Then I don't see what the problem could be if you chunked them in a pile.

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Game Warden run in.... [Re: Jeff Elder] #3723990 11/05/12 02:55 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Laws a law but I see almost every person on here posting pics with a ton of birds in a big pile, I do it and so does everyone else that likes to take pictures with their birds. Stupid law but everyone here is guilty of breaking it.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide