Print Thread
Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt #3657302 10/13/12 11:11 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Bought 2 Pork Butts that weigh abot 8.5 lbs each.
First time trying to cook on my new smoker tomorrow am early!

Smoker has an Offset fire box. I have alot of Mesquite and Hickory wood. Questions, which wood? Do I put a pork or any kind of rub or seasoning on them? How many hours per pound of meat at what temperature? Thought about adding some chopped Onions & Garlic with Jalapenos slices on it. Am I getting to far out there?

This Rookie Appreciate's any and all input!!

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Stub] #3657329 10/13/12 11:23 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I use hickory. Any kind of dry rub will work. I done one yesterday. I place mine on the grate fat side up and turn about half way thru. My small smoker does not have a temp gauge, so when you can pull the bone in it out, it's done. If you want to add stuff to it, it's your's. Sounds good to me. The main thing about a Pbutt to me is when that bone will pull out, you have a nice chunk of meat. I hope this helps. Good eating.

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Cool Mo D] #3657376 10/13/12 11:43 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Pull the bone. If it does not fall out, warp it and put it in the oven till it will. They're hard to mess up.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: bill oxner] #3658743 10/14/12 03:06 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
In addition to the drub, cover it in cilantro, onions, garlic and some
Peppers

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: ccoker] #3659683 10/14/12 08:16 PM
T
Theboyandi Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
On a side note, I smoked a shoulder on Friday and my wife made homemade tamales with a couple pounds of it for lunch today. Lights out, I wonder why I am so fat?

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Stub] #3660089 10/14/12 10:52 PM
R
Ringer1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Follow this and everything will come out perfect. Main advice you need to follow is buy a meat thermometer. Walmart sells them for $16. They are digital and you can has a wireless reciever that you can carry around with you. Do not go by time.

Seasoning, you can buy a product at a store or go as simple as salt and pepper. Just make sure to use kosher salt if you go the salt ad pepper route.

As for wood. With pork, I use whatever I have. With beef I use anything but mesquite.

Directions below. Make sure you post the results:

Originally Posted By: cb66

Boston butt. Coat w yellow mustard and then apply your favorite rub; plastic wrap in fridge at least overnight. Take it out of fridge 2 - 4 hours before cooking to sit at room temperature.

Fire up smoker, I use charcoal as my base and then only add hickory wood; keep your smoker running at 220ish. Do this until the butt reaches 165 internal temp. Wrap in heavy duty foil and move to the oven at 220 ( no need to waste anymore wood ) until meat reaches 200 internal temp. Remove from oven double wrap in foil then wrap in beach towels & put in a cooler for at least an hour to "rest". Remove and the shoulder blade bone will lift right out. Shred/pull using big salad folks. I hit it w a little "finishing sauce" while pulling it; the sauce is apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Tony's, red and black pepper.

It will make you wanna slap yo' momma.

Spraying w a combo of Captain Morgans & apple juice combo is an option during the smoking process. The sugars will help develop that dark bark...

CB

This is the way I've cooked mine for years. It turns out great everytime. The key here is to use an internal meat thermometer so you know what the temp of the meat is. I've cooked multiple butts before that we're the same size but they reach temp hours apart. It all depends on fat content and density of the muscle fibers. If you go by the temps listed above it will be great.

Only a couple of things I do different:

The night before I inject the butts with creol butter marinade that you buy at the store. Put my rub on (I buy the rub at Hard 8 in Coppell), wrap in plastic, and put in the fridge over night. Make sure to take it out of the fridge about four hours prior to putting on the smoker so it will get to room temp. If you put a cold butt on the smoker the outside will dry out while the center is getting up to temp. Once I unwrap it I always throw a little more rub before I put it on the smoker. Probably doesn't make any difference but I've always done it this way.

Lastly, I've done the Captain Morgans and apple juice and it good. But I would prefer to drink my Captain Morgans instead. So what I do now is mix apple juice and canola oil (50/50 mix) in a spray bottle. After 45 minutes of the meat sitting in the smoker I will spray the meat every 20 minutes until it reaches 165 degrees. At this point I take the butt off the smoker, put it on my foil, pour some of my mixture over the butt, wrap another layer of foil from the top making sure to wrap the edges underneath. Then I wrap it once more from the bottom. Put it in a pan and put it the oven at 220 degrees. It is ready when the internal temp is at 200-203. As CB said, put it in the cooler for an hour and let it rest with a towel wrapped around it before you pull it.

When you pull it you can leave it in shreds or pull chunks and chop it with a meat cleaver. I like it both ways but I been using the meat cleaver lately and I like the texture. Once you have the meat pulled pour some of the drippings that's left in the foil over the meat and mix with you hands. This will keep the meat moist.

We serve our with finishing or BBQ sauce on the side since its so good by itself.

The most important note is to go by meat temp and not time. If you do this everything will turn out great.

Have fun and good luck!

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Stub] #3662742 10/15/12 07:49 PM
B
BobG Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Stub
Smoking Pork Butt

Don't you read the Surgeon General's Warning!?! Smoking causes cancer! wink

Have fun smoking it, I sure wish I could do that today!

Gravley Custom Woodwork: Household Furniture, Custom Cabinetry and much more!

Hunters, Fisherman and other liars gather here.
Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Ringer1] #3666910 10/17/12 01:59 AM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Ringer1
Follow this and everything will come out perfect. Main advice you need to follow is buy a meat thermometer. Walmart sells them for $16. They are digital and you can has a wireless reciever that you can carry around with you. Do not go by time.

Seasoning, you can buy a product at a store or go as simple as salt and pepper. Just make sure to use kosher salt if you go the salt ad pepper route.

As for wood. With pork, I use whatever I have. With beef I use anything but mesquite.

Boston butt. Coat w yellow mustard and then apply your favorite rub; plastic wrap in fridge at least overnight. Take it out of fridge 2 - 4 hours before cooking to sit at room temperature.

Fire up smoker, I use charcoal as my base and then only add hickory wood; keep your smoker running at 220ish. Do this until the butt reaches 165 internal temp. Wrap in heavy duty foil and move to the oven at 220 ( no need to waste anymore wood ) until meat reaches 200 internal temp. Remove from oven double wrap in foil then wrap in beach towels & put in a cooler for at least an hour to "rest". Remove and the shoulder blade bone will lift right out. Shred/pull using big salad folks. I hit it w a little "finishing sauce" while pulling it; the sauce is apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Tony's, red and black pepper.

Spraying w a combo of Captain Morgans & apple juice combo is an option during the smoking process. The sugars will help develop that dark bark...

CB

This is the way I've cooked mine for years. It turns out great everytime. The key here is to use an internal meat thermometer so you know what the temp of the meat is. I've cooked multiple butts before that we're the same size but they reach temp hours apart. It all depends on fat content and density of the muscle fibers. If you go by the temps listed above it will be great.

The night before I inject the butts with creol butter marinade that you buy at the store. Put my rub on (I buy the rub at Hard 8 in Coppell), wrap in plastic, and put in the fridge over night. Make sure to take it out of the fridge about four hours prior to putting on the smoker so it will get to room temp. If you put a cold butt on the smoker the outside will dry out while the center is getting up to temp. Once I unwrap it I always throw a little more rub before I put it on the smoker. Probably doesn't make any difference but I've always done it this way.

Lastly, I've done the Captain Morgans and apple juice and it good. But I would prefer to drink my Captain Morgans instead. So what I do now is mix apple juice and canola oil (50/50 mix) in a spray bottle. After 45 minutes of the meat sitting in the smoker I will spray the meat every 20 minutes until it reaches 165 degrees. At this point I take the butt off the smoker, put it on my foil, pour some of my mixture over the butt, wrap another layer of foil from the top making sure to wrap the edges underneath. Then I wrap it once more from the bottom. Put it in a pan and put it the oven at 220 degrees. It is ready when the internal temp is at 200-203. As CB said, put it in the cooler for an hour and let it rest with a towel wrapped around it before you pull it.

When you pull it you can leave it in shreds or pull chunks and chop it with a meat cleaver. I like it both ways but I been using the meat cleaver lately and I like the texture. Once you have the meat pulled pour some of the drippings that's left in the foil over the meat and mix with you hands. This will keep the meat moist.

We serve our with finishing or BBQ sauce on the side since its so good by itself.

The most important note is to go by meat temp and not time. If you do this everything will turn out great.

Have fun and good luck!

That sounds great... I'm going to try this ASAP

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Ringer1] #3669996 10/18/12 01:45 AM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Thanks Guys!! Well I cooked it Sunday, turned out pretty good for the first time. After reading these tips, I will definitely do better next time. Again Thanks!!!

CB

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by Stub; 10/18/12 01:47 AM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Ringer1] #3686238 10/24/12 01:06 AM
C
cb66 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

CB

Have fun and good luck!

Sounds good! wink

Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: cb66] #3718543 11/03/12 01:13 PM
M
Mberet Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I use oak and put a piece of hickory in it every now and a again

I use a mop sauce or apple juice and keep it sprayed down

Mop sauce
1 cup Olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup apple vinegar
1 Tbs salt
1 Tbs of pepper

The canopy became his shroud; he hurtled to the ground. And he ain't gonna jump no more. Gory, gory, what a hell of a way to die, he ain't gonna jump no more!
Re: Need help please. Smoking Pork Butt [Re: Mberet] #3719416 11/03/12 09:18 PM
D
Drew in Tejas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Here is what I do.

Rub the pork butt down with any rub of choice. I rub the butt down with yellow mustard, then add Butt rub pretty thick and let it sit in the fidge overnight. I will fire up the smoker and set it on foil (I have a vertical smoker so it evens the heat out) I use pecan wood and get it going at 225 and let it go at that for about 2hrs per lb. Once I see the internal temp sitting at 160 I will baste it with a little apple cider and wrap it in foil for about 2.5 more hours until it reaches 185deg. Then I will shut down the smoker and put it in a pan and cover it with a towel and let it sit for about 2 hrs to help absorb some of its own juices back. Then open it up and shred it with 2 forks. I prefer a tangy sauce or a thin sauce kinda like Rudy's warmed up.

Drew

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide