Print Thread
Woven Palm or camo netting? #3701649 10/29/12 01:07 PM
H
HardWired Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
On my duck boat, I've used camo netting over burlap for the last few years. The concealment is great, and it is not difficult to set up, by it could be easier.

I need to replace the burlap, so I'm considering just using the manufactured palms instead for outer blind.

Any negatives to the palm besides the $200 cost?

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: HardWired] #3701657 10/29/12 01:10 PM
M
masagaut Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
You need to check on ebay bud. They have stuff on there a lot cheaper than that. Search "palm thatch," comes in a lot of different dimensions to. It is what I have on my boat right now. Not crazy about it at the moment. Every thing is still so green it sticks out a lot. Spray paint has helped but it still isn't to my liking. I am sure it will be better later in the season though.

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: masagaut] #3701732 10/29/12 01:40 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
No way in heck would I ever pay $200.

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: Featherduster] #3701779 10/29/12 01:57 PM
B
Beretta Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Featherduster
No way in heck would I ever pay $200.

Yea I would check eBay, I've seen people build a whole scissor blind camo and hardware for under $200

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: HardWired] #3701803 10/29/12 02:04 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: HardWired
On my duck boat, I've used camo netting over burlap for the last few years. The concealment is great, and it is not difficult to set up, by it could be easier.

I need to replace the burlap, so I'm considering just using the manufactured palms instead for outer blind.

one down side is the same as burlap it's the need to keep plams as dry as you can to stop mold & meldew;,they also dryrot perry quick. my didn't last but about two years you could make your own grass mats much cheaper they really arn't that hard to make. if you can find the reeds or river cane (smaller kind)

Last edited by Team Hillbilly; 10/29/12 02:07 PM. Reason: fat finger

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: Team Hillbilly] #3702410 10/29/12 05:00 PM
M
masagaut Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: Team Hillbilly

one down side is the same as burlap it's the need to keep plams as dry as you can to stop mold & meldew;,they also dryrot perry quick. my didn't last but about two years you could make your own grass mats much cheaper they really arn't that hard to make. if you can find the reeds or river cane (smaller kind)

Where can I get a video of how to make or something on this? I would really like to be able to do it myself.

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: masagaut] #3702557 10/29/12 05:39 PM
H
HardWired Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
I agree it is too high a price. Im looking for a better backing for the netting than burlap. I'm thinking black construction liner or the like. I love the netting but the backing is essential, because it will catch everything possible. Burlap isn't bad for $50 for the whole boat, but there is better in sure.

This was last night before i stripped it all off to re-do the backing.

Any other backing ideas at a lower price?

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: masagaut] #3702661 10/29/12 06:13 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: masagaut

Where can I get a video of how to make or something on this? I would really like to be able to do it myself.
I've got on a old confuser I'll see if I can dig it out for might be a day or two so maybe a reminder would help to

Team Hillbilly
Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: Team Hillbilly] #3702740 10/29/12 06:36 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
PM sent to you masagaut

Team Hillbilly
Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: Team Hillbilly] #3702890 10/29/12 07:19 PM
H
HardWired Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Well guys I just hit harbor freight and they had 10'x8 black mesh tarp on sale from $45 to $20 used for shading.

Pretty much like burlap except a poly material, should be good stuff, and cheaper than burlap per foot. Waterproof and does not peel or unravel like burlap when cut.

Should get it on tonight.

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: masagaut] #3702953 10/29/12 07:36 PM
S
seethemkillthem Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S

^^^^^

X2

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: seethemkillthem] #3703095 10/29/12 08:15 PM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: seethemkillthem

^^^^^

X2
I pm'd you a link, I've been told not to post it on the open forum in the past no reason to do it now smile
13. Guides, hunting related businesses, and other web sites, feel free to promote your services here. The only exception to this rule is promotion of a site that is a direct competitor of the THF or Texas Fishing Forum (TFF) – that includes most fishing and hunting forums. We don’t use other forums to promote our sites and we expect the same from our members.

Last edited by Team Hillbilly; 10/29/12 08:19 PM. Reason: fat finger

Team Hillbilly
Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: Team Hillbilly] #3703421 10/29/12 09:49 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Hillbilly, I would like to take a look at this link if ya got the time.

[Linked Image]

Re: Woven Palm or camo netting? [Re: Fooshman] #3705356 10/30/12 12:10 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I would like the link as well Hillbilly, if you have time.
I am working on a new blind for my boat.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide