Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: dogcatcher] #367826 06/05/08 04:51 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Some of it is like the latest camo clothing that is hidden in a box blind, or the 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel, or the latest ATV. Most have nothing to do with hunting, just a prestige thing.

Ever think that the people that have these things don't care what you think??? If I want a new 4 wheeler and can afford it, I'll buy it. Has nothing to do with prestige. Has everything to do with what I wanna spend MY hard earned money on.
Like JCB said, I see more people who don't have the "nicer" things looking down on those that do than the other way around. Like they are snobs because they have a nice gun and drive a nice truck.
BTW, the prestige comment sounded like a little stereotyping.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Cool_Hand] #367827 06/05/08 04:55 AM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Crazy it may be a city/country thing. Folks that live out side the city limits seem more content with what they have as opposed to "keeping up with the jonses" mentality. Country folk seem more practical than extravagant. City folk say "look what I got", while country folk would rather you not know what they have.

Now personally, I bought a mossberg shotgun at walmart that was a waste of money, horrible gun. But I also have a .22 savage I bought there for 89.00 years ago that still shoots like a dream. Sometimes its better to pay the extra sometimes I get lucky.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367828 06/05/08 05:37 AM
C
Cruz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I’ve noticed what CH has mentioned on this and other forums. It seems to me that posters ignore what the question was and have to talk about what they bought to apparently remind everyone again.

I know what works for me and realize that my choices may not “fit” everyone which is why if recommending gear/guns for the most part I try to mention a few that I may not want myself but may be useful for someone else.

I also try not to make sweeping generalizations about my choices as if they are the only ones that are worth trying. Reading the question in the original post and thinking a little might help.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Cruz] #367829 06/05/08 10:48 AM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
The one thing that sticks out in my mind is how people will ask a specific question with parameters and as CH has said, people will respond as if they never read the question.

If someone asks(as they have done) "should I buy gun A or gun B? What is your opinion of these two guns?"

Almost, without exception, there will be several responses of "you should buy gun C!"

Then a couple of posts down you begin the argument of "gun C is crap you shold buy gun D!" and so it goes...

I don't judge people by their toys but by their character and the treatment they show to others who don't have the same resources or share the same attitude.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367830 06/05/08 10:52 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You're spot-on CH. Almost every time someone asks for advice in the bowhunting section, they are advised to buy bows that are far out of the price range they stated. They'll say they want to spend $400 on a set up and guys will tell them the only bow to buy is a Switchback. Or tell them to expect to spend up to $1,200 on a set up.

Rifles are the same quite often. Sometimes guys give advice based on the question but most ignore the poster's money restraints and tell them to buy equipment that cost much more than he expected to spend.

Either no one wants to admit they do it, no one realizes they do it, or none of them has responded to your original post. On the other hand, I'm as guilty as they are but in the opposite direction so I guess I'm just a variation of the same guys. If someone new to either side of hunting says they expect to spend $XXX, I usually caution them that they can be just as deadly for quite a bit less. Thinking about it, I guess I fit right into that category of not always just giving them the answer they ask for.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367831 06/05/08 01:36 PM
J
J.R. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
This mirrors the post and reply I made in the Off Topic section. Here in Frisco (N. Dallas), I have only managed to meet individuals that wish to be defined by how much they pay for thier material posessions. I get SICK of it and in the last couple years have actually told friends how much their blabbing about the value of their material posessions bothers me. Late last year, my wife and I invited several friends over for dinner. One showed up with a friend of his from out of town who promptly insulted my choice of Scotch and then my choice of cigars. When the conversation turned to hunting/guns, he then insulted my deer rifle, quoting what HE had and what HE paid for it. I promptly threw the sorry S.O.B. out of my house. I hated to embarrass my friend by throwing his friend out, but enough was enough.

I agree that it's great to be proud of something you saved for and acquired, but I feel sorry for anyone that consistently depends on his or her material posessions to define who they are. No one (at least no one that should matter) will remember a person because they were snooty about material posessions...

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: J.R.] #367832 06/05/08 01:38 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I agree with that. Anyone that would say such things deserved to be thrown out.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: J.R.] #367833 06/05/08 01:53 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Frisco and Plano are target rich environments for snob hunting.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: highlonesome1] #367834 06/05/08 02:05 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Highlonesome, you might be right in some respects with your assessment, although I have seen folks born and raised on farms and ranches west of the MetroMess that would buy the newest and best toys on the market, and many times the higher priced ones.

When they can afford it and if it is what they want, I have ney problemo with that.

It is when they get to downing someone because of their equipment.

I remember a few years back up in Young county, in the Graham area, a bunch of them folks got their selves all pysched up over putting together $2500.00 rifle scope rigs centered around Mark V Weatherbys is 30-378.

Claimed they were the best whitetail guns fron zero to infinity and beyond, and would actually laugh at and snub folks that stuck with 270's and 30-06's and such cartridges and the guns that shot them.

Now, a few years down the road, those artillery pieces are gathering dust in the back of those folks gun safes.

A little healthy, good natured kidding is one thing.

To actually snub people because their equipment is not up someones screwball set of standards is flat wrong.

Maybe I notice this or have noticed this more than some on here, simply because I have had more opportunity.

I just always wonder why or when price and quality of equipment became the "Gold Standard" to judge other hunters/fishermen by in regards to whether they are a hunter or not.

What happened to judging a hunter/fisherman by their success rate. JMO.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367835 06/05/08 02:19 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
There are people that will criticize those with nice things because they themselves cannot afford them. Just petty jealousness and resentment. Those people are Tools.

There are people that have nice things, and they think that they are superior to others because of their possessions. Those people are also Tools.

Then there are people who enjoy what they have and don't judge others based on possessions. Those people are Non-Tools.

I don't like Tools of any kind.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: cbump] #367836 06/05/08 02:21 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Quote:

Quote:

Some of it is like the latest camo clothing that is hidden in a box blind, or the 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel, or the latest ATV. Most have nothing to do with hunting, just a prestige thing.

Ever think that the people that have these things don't care what you think??? If I want a new 4 wheeler and can afford it, I'll buy it. Has nothing to do with prestige. Has everything to do with what I wanna spend MY hard earned money on.
Like JCB said, I see more people who don't have the "nicer" things looking down on those that do than the other way around. Like they are snobs because they have a nice gun and drive a nice truck.
BTW, the prestige comment sounded like a little stereotyping.

its almost like when you see a extreemly attractive girl with a guy, then everyone who dosen't have a girl of that caliber automatically assumes either A: hes filthy rich, or B: he's part donkey. ever think its maybe just because he's nicer or better looking than the other people.

if you work hard, theres no shame in having nice things.

you don't have to settle for mediocracy if you don't want to

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367837 06/05/08 02:38 PM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
We have to keep in mind that not everyone is raised the same. They don't learn the same moral values or the same lessons in life. I grew up poor and in doing so I appreciated everything that I got and took very good care of it. I also made a promise to myself that I would someday have those nice things. That day finally came and I started acquiring nice expensive things. I didn't look down on anyone else but at the same time I wasn't going to have anyone looking down on me. That didn't last too long, I finally realized that material possessions didn't matter. As long as I was happy with what I had it didn't matter what anyone else thought. My point of view now is this; if you want to purchase that high end item, I'm happy for you. If you can only afford something from a pawn shop, I'm just glad you were able to get out and enjoy something you have a passion for.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: kbobbjr] #367838 06/05/08 02:59 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Excellent post and attitude on the subject.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: J.R.] #367839 06/05/08 03:49 PM
J
jsoukup Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Quote:

One showed up with a friend of his from out of town who promptly insulted my choice of Scotch and then my choice of cigars. When the conversation turned to hunting/guns, he then insulted my deer rifle,

If he had also insulted your dog, your pickup, or your wife, you would have been well within your rights to shoot him. Man law.

Shoot straight and always carry a 7mm Remington Magnum.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: txtrophy85] #367840 06/05/08 03:57 PM
J
jsoukup Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Quote:

its almost like when you see a extreemly attractive girl with a guy, then everyone who dosen't have a girl of that caliber automatically assumes either A: hes filthy rich, or B: he's part donkey.

EeeHaw! EeeHaw!

Shoot straight and always carry a 7mm Remington Magnum.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: jsoukup] #367841 06/05/08 04:26 PM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Maybe its just a Texas thing; everythings bigger and better in Texas. Like how we wear our ballcaps and red wings around town but break out the stetsons and tony llamas when we visit friends and family or go to the rodeo.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: highlonesome1] #367842 06/05/08 05:01 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I think it is funny my roomate has several nice guns, a couple weatherby mark V's, two pre 64 mod 70's, and several others, and he made fun of me for paying 6 or 7 hundred dollars for my remington 700. All of his guns were given to him, and he had no idea what soever what they were worth. Since then I have explained to him what his guns would have cost had he boght them and he realized that he is a very fortunate individual, and quite lucky as well.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: redchevy] #367843 06/05/08 06:36 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've got a few nice guns and a few "experienced" guns. But the guns I treasure most are my old ones such as the 30-30 that I bought when I was 12. Yes, Gibson's sold a new Marlin 30-30 to a 12 year old kid in 1966! My Rem 1100 that my dad bought for me on my 16th birthday. The Winchester Mod 67 that my Dad bought my Mother as a wedding gift in 1943. His old Belgium Browning Light Twelve he bought in 1945. The vast majority of the time, I hunt with these. Sitting on a Dove stool with that old Browning is almost like still having my Dad to hunt with. Shooting a squirrel out of a tree with the old 22, I can almost see my Mom doing the same as a young woman. I don't care if they're worth $1 or $1,000,000.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #367844 06/05/08 08:38 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
would you be exactly in the middle of the two, snobbery and practicality, if you were hunting inside an exclusive high fence with a low priced rifle? Public land with a high priced custom rifle? and so Orn can be included in the discussion an older model camaro with a stolen .22 or a stolen camaro with an older model single shot .410 that I baryed from the house where my mommas baby daddy usually stay at(for all non east Texas readers that means his dad's house)

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Sethfish] #367845 06/05/08 09:00 PM
T
TXPH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
lmao

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Sethfish] #367846 06/05/08 10:47 PM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Quote:

would you be exactly in the middle of the two, snobbery and practicality, if you were hunting inside an exclusive high fence with a low priced rifle? Public land with a high priced custom rifle? and so Orn can be included in the discussion an older model camaro with a stolen .22 or a stolen camaro with an older model single shot .410 that I baryed from the house where my mommas baby daddy usually stay at(for all non east Texas readers that means his dad's house)

You ain't right............ , aaaaaaaaahhhhhh East Texas, like going to a diffrent country.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Cool_Hand] #367847 06/06/08 12:02 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Quote:

Those old Browning humpbacks will kick ya twice when you pull the trigger!!! I used to have a light 12 with a cuts-compensator on it to take some of the shock out of it. If the kick bothers you at all you can fill the stock with some shot and it will absorb some of the shock. I've got an O/U 12 ga. and I put the shot in mine and it helped it. Just a suggestion.

This one belonged to my dad and I had one just like it. I got rid of it becuae of the weight.
I grew up in Louisana and was a very avid squirrel hunter. We hunted in virgin timber bottoms in some of the tallest trees you could imagine. More often than not I found myself litterally shooting staight up. Dad used to buy us 2-3/4" Magnum # 6 shot because we often found our selves stretching the limits on these old Brownings because of the terrain we hunted. That humpback cut my right eyebrow so bad that I probably needed stitches a couple of times. It also hit me in the nose one day a peeled all of the hide off of the bridge of my nose clean down to the cartledge. It was usually that second or third shot that would get me in trouble.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: jsoukup] #367848 06/06/08 12:18 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I love to hunt around these types. I don't know how many deer I have killed hunting next to guys that had to have it "all" and they brought "all" of it to the woods with them. They make so mutch racket getting in and out of the woods that they would run deer out by me. I even learned to come to my stand late when someone was in the woods who liked to bring it "all" because when the racket died down from engine noise, slamming truck doors, unloading or loading a 4 wheeler,followed by more truck door slamming, the rattle of the deer stand on the back of the 4 wheeler and the ramps rattling on the 4 wheeler trailer as they left the woods the big bucks would take this as signal of "all clear" and start moving. I got one really nice 8 point one morning just because of a situation just like I described.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: lakewaydr50] #367849 06/06/08 01:43 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
LOL!!! Didn't mean to sidetrack the thread but wanted to add something. I too was an avid squirrel hunter in Ky. Seems that was the big thing where my mom and dad were raised. I've shot straight up several times but with a 410 or 20 ga. I miss squirrel, hot bisquits and gravey and fresh tomatoes!!!!

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Cool_Hand] #367850 06/06/08 02:31 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I didn't read all the posts but I consider my grandpa one of the best hunters and shots I know...he has hunted with 257 Roberts for the last 40 or 50 years all out around Ft Stockton....I have seen him hit a big muley at 350 yards and drop him in his tracks. I have also seen him turn a muley at full speed around and had him coming right back at us with just a sound from his mouth. So..No I don't think everyone needs the biggest and best gun or equipment but I guess if that makes them feel better and they like having nice stuff then who am I to say they should not use it.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide