Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Snobbery versus Practicality. #367801 06/04/08 10:50 PM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I keep noticing that when new folks come on here, or even some of the folks that have been on here for a while, make a post concerning the purchase of a "New" piece of equipment, there seems to be, or is a definite, division into two camps.

Those that feel the latest most pricey equipment is all that should be considered, and those that try to recommend equipment that is serviceable, but won't be more than what the person can handle, monetarily or experience wise.

How many make recommendations with out reading what the parameters are that the person asking has listed?

What happened to the concept of letting people start out with entry level equipment, then as their abilities and skills develope, letting them decide how much higher up the ladder as it concerns equipment they want to go?

Also in conjunction with that, how many believe that unless a rifle/scope rig did not set the shooter back at minimum $1500.00 it is no good and should not be allowed in the field?

Why does a set of Binoculars have to cost as much or more than a new rifle or a scope cost at least half as much as the rifle?

Does price have any thing to do with killing ability?

It don't matter how much a person spends on a rig if they are a Piss Poor Hunter or Game Shot.

I see it on here and also around camp fires in hunting camps, if some one ain't got the latest, most costly equipment, they are treated differently, up to the point of being looked down on, simply because they are not carrying the latest or best gear.

The sad part is, that it don't matter that they may be the best hunter/rifle shot in the camp, they are looked down on, simply because they don't have the latest and costliest toys.

Does anyone else see this behavior?

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367802 06/04/08 11:06 PM
M
Mconner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
IMO you should buy what ever you can afford and practice a much as possible. No one should have to justify to anyone what he or she uses.

When someone calls you special it's not always a good thing!!
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367803 06/04/08 11:08 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
"Also in conjunction with that, how many believe that unless a rifle/scope rig did not set the shooter back at minimum $1500.00 it is no good and should not be allowed in the field?"

First, who in their right mind would think this.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367804 06/04/08 11:09 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
When it comes to the latest greatest rifle, its no secret that I love quality guns and optics, but I dont look down on those that have lesser quality gear! I aint rich but I look at quality rifles and scopes as an investment that I can always get my money (or most of my money) back on when I decide to sell it. Honestly I still love hunting with the old Winchester 94 with open sights as much as I like hunting with my Sendero topped with the Sworvoski!

When it comes to Binnoculars I use a $60 pair of Bausch & Lomb! I would rather put my money in my scope than my Binos!

I do see the behavior that you are talking about on occasion both on the forum and in camp!

On most leases I choose to sit on the ground and hunt rather than hunt from a stand! Over the years I have had people think I was just plain "cheap" for not haveing the hotel on legs to hunt from, but thats not it at all! I choose to hunt that way because thats what I enjoy! I love sitting on the ground and having animals dang near at arms length from me before they know I am there! Thats my definition of fun!

No I dont look down on others because of their equipment, where they hunt, or how they hunt....except for high fences, but we will not discuss that here!!

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367805 06/04/08 11:10 PM
D
DoubleB20 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I"m a victim of that, not from folks on here, but in general. I have good servicable equipment. I've had the same one and only shotgun for 30 something years. Likewise, my recurve was used when I got it in 1974, still shoots as good as ever. My old deer rifle, plain jane remington 6mm w/decent optics (4x) is a tack driver. Folks tell me all the time, why don't you upgrade and I just tell them no reason to fix what's not broken. But I'm old and crotchety with tough skin so they can make all the fun they want while I keep bringing home the game...

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367806 06/04/08 11:15 PM
P
Parker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Oh, geez...that's just not on here. That's in everyday life. There's ALWAYS a segment of the population that values an item based on its cost and looks down on others that either don't want to, or can't, afford what they have. Just people trying to feel better about themselves by judging what they have in comparison to what they THINK you don't have.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: cbump] #367807 06/04/08 11:18 PM
F
fowlplayr Offline
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
Shenanigans Scorecard keeper
F
Yep see it all the time...everywhere you go there is someone who will judge.

I try to set my standards sort of in the middle.

I won't buy the cheapest brand or item, simply because of possible quality issues. I don't want to be let down when it counts most. Notice I said...POSSIBLE quality issues.

At the same time, I do not believe that the "top of the line" product is required to handle the job effectively.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: DoubleB20] #367808 06/04/08 11:19 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
I have seen it too but my favotite rifle is a old 6.5 swedish mauser i had sporterized with a simmons scope and all i can say is the critter is within 300yds he better be ready to die and if he dont its my fault and not the gun!

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Parker] #367809 06/04/08 11:22 PM
M
Mconner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Quote:

Oh, geez...that's just not on here. That's in everyday life. There's ALWAYS a segment of the population that values an item based on its cost and looks down on others that either don't want to, or can't, afford what they have. Just people trying to feel better about themselves by judging what they have in comparison to what they THINK you don't have.

That goes both ways.

When someone calls you special it's not always a good thing!!
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: JCB] #367810 06/04/08 11:27 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
You know.........after thinking about this for a little while, I have to say that I have had more people look down on me for having BETTER equipment than them rather than the other way around!

Maybe there jealous! I dont know!!

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Hoytman] #367811 06/04/08 11:30 PM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I hunted deer for 30 years with a 742 Remington w/6 power weaver scope and not once did either piece of equipment let me down. I sold the Remington because there are no available parts for it and bought a Savage 270 cal. and I only had it out of the safe once or twice and I don't recall killing a deer with it! My binoculars cost $35.00 I got in a pawn shop.

I shot skeet on tour for a few years and had a nice barrel set of Kraighoffs but later sold them when I quit shooting for money.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367812 06/04/08 11:35 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What does it matter what someone buys and how they use it. It doesn't bother me or affect me. If someone wants to buy cheat stuff, go right ahead, if you want to spend $1500 on a rifle, go for it.

What I have seen, if someone does not do or buy what is recommended, they are downed. It's only their business, not others to worry about.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367813 06/04/08 11:41 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I like to recommend items that I have personaly researched or seen in action. I research and read about products as much as possible and go to another forum when it comes to shooting and equipment. This site on the gun subject highlights the Ford/Chevy opinion; mine is better etc.
I personally believe in purchasing quality materials and look into items not just because they have a big marketing name. But how they compare in quality and price.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: dgilbert] #367814 06/04/08 11:57 PM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
It's the same way with what caliber rifle you use, what brand car you drive, etc. I get a kick out of the guys that tell me caliber XX is only good to 300yd, etc. So I guess at 301 the bullet just drops right out of the air? Does it matter if my Leupold scope can zoom in a critter at 500yd when we're hunting in 75yd shot territory?

On the other hand, I've seen snobbery come out quickly when somebody has something that looks junky OR too nice. The theory on the too nice end is that you must not know what you're doing because you spent more than you had to. So really it boils down to anybody that doesn't have middle of the road, quality gear has to suddenly feel like he has something to prove to the crowd.

I use what I like. I like some high-end gear, way higher quality and price than what I need. But I want it and this is America where we can go work a little harder to get a fancier widget. If I see one sign of snobbery I just get it out on the table and squash it. Bottom line is that I'm not gonna take off running and find out if a junky rifle can hit me at 100yd or if a guy with a $1500 rifle can't shoot! I'll be very fast to point that out to anybody that runs their mouth to me or any of my buddies who have WELL USED or lower end gear!

Binocs: $120 Nikon compacts
Rifle: one slightly customized, one much customized, one radical
Clothes: what fits, mix Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.
Boots: Danner-I don't like sore feet!
Knives: Gerber mostly with some Bucks and Benchmade
Backpacks: Badlands-they're tough but I also have Wally World packs
Trucks: '99 F350 or '95 Toyota 4runner

Yep, I get looked down on sometimes. But never by people who've lived a life that means you work for what little you have..

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: pyledriver] #367815 06/05/08 12:07 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The way I look at it, "a person spends they're money anyway the choose" About the only time I'll voice an opinion is in caliber choice.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Crazyhorse] #367816 06/05/08 12:11 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Some of it is like the latest camo clothing that is hidden in a box blind, or the 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel, or the latest ATV. Most have nothing to do with hunting, just a prestige thing.

Personally I kind of like it when a newbie buys more than they can afford. I have managed to upgrade my personal arsenal for less than half of the retail cost. Example AR15, Colt version HBAR, cost me $300. That is with scope, mounts, hard case, soft case, and a slew of magazines

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: pyledriver] #367817 06/05/08 12:15 AM
J
jsoukup Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Growing up, my family had enough money for a house payment and one car payment at a time. My dad always had us involved in some little kind of job somewhere to make extra money for the household. We weren't poor, but we didn't have extra money for a lot of the "extras" that make life easier. We always did everything the hard way.

Now that I have my own family and we make a pretty good living, and my parents own their own business, where they make a good living, we've got money to make things easier, to have the nicer stuff.

Do I feel bad or snobbish about it? No, because I've been there. There were some times in college where I didn't have enough money to eat. I worked hard, and continue to work hard to have these things. My dad and I will do something and scratch our heads and say, "why didn't we have this 20 years ago?" Well, probably because we couldn't afford it.

Shoot straight and always carry a 7mm Remington Magnum.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: jsoukup] #367818 06/05/08 12:28 AM
H
HaskellCoDeerKiller Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I own Some Of The Best Guns Money can Buy.ANd still reach in the Closet and Pull out the Old Favorites and Haul them to the Hunting Field.Its just a matter of opinon.On what you can afford and spend.I have an Old Savage Mod 340 222 That is a tack driver with a 30.00 Bushnell.Go figure

I see this every day in the Open Pubilc.I own a Plumbing Co.And Make a Good living And when I go to Some Rich Dudes House Still Get Treated Like A Ol Blue Collar Nothin.But Little Does He Know I Make More Than He Does LOL.I like Turning the Tables on The Smart Arses.

Get What you Can Afford And Enjoy The Great Outdoors.

Last edited by HaskellCoDeerKiller; 06/05/08 12:29 AM.

"SAY WHEN"
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: HaskellCoDeerKiller] #367819 06/05/08 12:55 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
i am a believer in owning good quality gear.

i buy middle of the road optics. i buy middle of the road rifles. i could afford a safe full of guns but i don't see the need so i get by with 3 rifles and two shotguns.

as far as gear is concerened, i have seen people get more frustrated by cheap gear than if they would have spent a little more on quality items.

anything more than neccesary is just showing off anyhow!

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: HaskellCoDeerKiller] #367820 06/05/08 12:56 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I fall in to the group of practicallity over how expensive. My son and I are getting ready to start duck hunting this year and we are buying everything, shotguns, clothes, waders, decoys, calls, etc. I'm not filthy rich so I've got to get the most bang for my buck. We bought Bass Pro decoys, and waders off of Ebay, We are going to buy Redhead hunting clothes and for our shotguns I am looking at 5 different models, Remington 870 Express one of the water fowler versions, Mossberg 835, 500, the Mossberg International silver addition over and unders, and the Stoeger over and under. None of the guns are no where near the super expensive catagorie but they are all quiet functional in the field.
I went to a turkey shoot locally the other day and was able to shoot some of the finest mass produced shotguns made pricing anywhere from about $1400 on up. Some of the guns that I have looked at so far felt just as good in my hands as the expensive ones I shot. I realize that the quality may not be as good as a high dollar firearm, but all I'm looking for at this point is geting the job done in a reasonable manner.

Last edited by lakewaydr50; 06/05/08 01:00 AM.
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: lakewaydr50] #367821 06/05/08 01:16 AM
P
Parker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I'd still have my Remington 870 if I could have gotten it fixed. I was having a problem with the extractor (if that's what it's called). It'd jamb up and not eject spent shells. Took it to the shop 2 different times and they never got it fixed. So, I looked at the money that I was willing to spend. I could either get a cheap auto or a better pump. I went with the Benelli Nova. I tend to buy down the middle of the road. I do the best research that I can and try to make the best possible decision from it. Plus, me, I don't care if my camo jacket doesn't match my camo pants...I doubt the deer care, either!!!!

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Parker] #367822 06/05/08 01:24 AM
S
spanky Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Randall it's in everything we do. The mentality is win at all cost. You see it in all segments of our society, from school to sports. I do not mind a competive atmosphere, but it can go too far, as my deer lease last year. I won't rehash what happened, but rest assured it will be a long time before I go deer hunting again.

Let me ask you this, since when did any of us have to live up to anyone's expectations or standards other than our own?

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: spanky] #367823 06/05/08 01:35 AM
Crazyhorse Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
As can be seen by some peoples responses to this scenario, you can readily tell that I haven't.

I know some folks don't like it when I ask questions like this one, what I can't figure out is why.

Maybe asking such a question will get someone to stop and think for a minute about how they view or react to others.

I guess some folks just don't care, or would rather act like such attitudes don't exist. JMO.

I have been fortunate or unfortunate to have witnessed this type of behavior for several years now and it never ceases to amaze me the ways and methods humans find to segregate themselves into groups.

Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: Parker] #367824 06/05/08 02:34 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Quote:

I'd still have my Remington 870 if I could have gotten it fixed. I was having a problem with the extractor (if that's what it's called). It'd jamb up and not eject spent shells. Took it to the shop 2 different times and they never got it fixed. So, I looked at the money that I was willing to spend. I could either get a cheap auto or a better pump. I went with the Benelli Nova. I tend to buy down the middle of the road. I do the best research that I can and try to make the best possible decision from it. Plus, me, I don't care if my camo jacket doesn't match my camo pants...I doubt the deer care, either!!!! [/quote
Buying a cheap shotgun does worry me a little, but I figure if I can get one season out of it and my son likes duck hunting when the season is over, I'll sell them and upgrade to something better. I have a 1963 A5 Belgium Browning 12 guage 2-3/4" full choke with 30" vented rib that I recently enherited that looks like it did the day it was bought new except for a couple of scratches. I used it the other day in a Turkey Shoot and had a blast. I wouldn't want to shoot steel shot in it though, because I would eventually ruin the barrel. I checked into getting a new barrel with choke tubes for it and that would cost me as much as new gun, so I guess I'll just buy 2 new ones.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Snobbery versus Practicality. [Re: lakewaydr50] #367825 06/05/08 02:51 AM
C
Cool_Hand Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Those old Browning humpbacks will kick ya twice when you pull the trigger!!! I used to have a light 12 with a cuts-compensator on it to take some of the shock out of it. If the kick bothers you at all you can fill the stock with some shot and it will absorb some of the shock. I've got an O/U 12 ga. and I put the shot in mine and it helped it. Just a suggestion.

Benny
Promise Ranch
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide