Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: rtp] #3671305 10/18/12 02:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: rtp
I hate the words Cull Buck. This single term has led to the killing of more young bucks than anything. "I shot him because he was a cull and WE needed to get him out of the herd". Every deer that is shot, is culled from the herd regardless of antler size or configuration. A certain number of deer need to be removed from the herd each year depending on a number of factors. It is up to you to determine how many of each sex. If you concentrate on killing the older bucks and does you will always have a replenishing resource. Boy this is a touchy subject with me and gets me going.

Killing young deer has nothing to do with the term cull buck.

It has everything to do with impatient trigger happy people trying to find a reason to shoot somethign and people thinking they know everythign there is to know about deer and they dont.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: Don Dial] #3671311 10/18/12 02:57 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Don Dial
Having been raised in and around ranching most of my life my definition of a Cull (anything) is something you don't want in your herd or breeding in your herd. That can mean a sick, injured, old, genetically lacking animal. It can mean an 8 point
or an odd point animal..Now whether or not you charge for same depends on the ranch and the animal..Some cull bucks are worthwile to mount...Some are not even fit to eat..I've killed so
many in the past 40 or so yrs. that I'd not know what a good deer
would be like to wish to kill and mount on the wall...Also it may
be females, spikes, ect..and I do not subscribe to 3 yr olds..I think at most you let them get past a yearling..If the Spike is 18mos old..he should be hamburger meat..DD

I have to disagree with the red part, a deer that young and tender should be steaks and jerky!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: txaggie02] #3671312 10/18/12 02:58 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: txaggie02
I hate the words Cull Buck. This single term has led to the killing of more young bucks than anything. "I shot him because he was a cull and WE needed to get him out of the herd".

This is a crazy statement. Don't blame it on the term. If somebody shoots a young buck, then the blame needs to lie in the lack of education by the hunter. Do you blame your pencil for misspelled words too?

Some ppl need to forget the term bc they don't have the deer numbers to be doing it. I've seen multiple folks say they've started seeing more bucks bc of ARs and then want to "cull". If you want to fill every tag possible then call it what it is.

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: redchevy] #3671324 10/18/12 03:01 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I hate the words Cull Buck. This single term has led to the killing of more young bucks than anything. "I shot him because he was a cull and WE needed to get him out of the herd". Every deer that is shot, is culled from the herd regardless of antler size or configuration. A certain number of deer need to be removed from the herd each year depending on a number of factors. It is up to you to determine how many of each sex. If you concentrate on killing the older bucks and does you will always have a replenishing resource. Boy this is a touchy subject with me and gets me going.

It has everything to do with impatient trigger happy people trying to find a reason to shoot somethign and people thinking they know everythign there is to know about deer and they dont.

So now it is wrong in your eyes for a hunter to fill his tag with a deer of his choice?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671337 10/18/12 03:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

So now it is wrong in your eyes for a hunter to fill his tag with a deer of his choice?

Not at all! Its wrong to kill it and not be happy to shoot it and have to call it a "cull buck"

It's hell eatin em live
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671343 10/18/12 03:06 PM
T
txaggie02 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

Nobody said that. He is responding the the fact that somebody is blaming the term "cull buck" for the shooting of young bucks. And yes, shooting young bucks is bad management for the herd. There is a reason that TPWD implemented antler restrictions.

Last edited by txaggie02; 10/18/12 03:15 PM.
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: txaggie02] #3671372 10/18/12 03:14 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Nobody said that. He is responding the the fact that somebody is blaming the term "cull buck" for the shooting of young bucks. And yes, shooting young bucks is bad management for the herd. There is a reason that TPWD implemented antler restrictions.

But yet gave them an extra tag to kill unbranched antler bucks and spikes.

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671374 10/18/12 03:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Ranchman, what do you call a 3pt 1.5-2.5 year old buck on places you have worked on in the past?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671377 10/18/12 03:17 PM
T
txaggie02 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

Absolutely. But there are still tons of hunters that kill very young spikes that shouldn't be shot. I'd be willing to bet $1000 that many of those spikes haven't even had the time to grow anything more than spikes. They just see a spike and stick the rifle out the window without even realizing the deer is 1.5 years old.

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: redchevy] #3671379 10/18/12 03:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Ranchman, what do you call a 3pt 1.5-2.5 year old buck on places you have worked on in the past?

Genetically challenged and chicken fried venison after that.

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671382 10/18/12 03:19 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Genetically challenged and chicken fried venison after that.

Kinda what I thought food

It's hell eatin em live
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: txtrophy85] #3671386 10/18/12 03:20 PM
J
jtz821 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
the word "cull" hits a bad chord with alot of guys.

we used it to classify the worst of the worst bucks. like mature 5,6 and 7 points with really nasty racks.

those were culls. the "managment" stuff are 8 and 9 point bucks around 120". Now, some ranches, there managment deer are in the 140's. to me, this is trophy class.

as with everything else, it depends on where your at.

a 6 lb largemouth caught at choke canyon or fork isnt going to raise any eyebrows, its a nice fish, but not a trophy. however, go up to illinois and it might be the biggest largemouth caught in several generations of fisherman, up there, it is a trophy, because bass just don't grow that large up there.

hunting, just like everything else, isn't going to be the same for everyone. Some guys will shoot just one buck that would qualify as a trophy to most folks, some will shoot one every year, some will never, and hunt all their lives.

what matters is that you enjoy your experiance

Well said up

Crazy Bone Hunting
Contact us for available Whitetail and exotic packages and prices!
http://www.facebook.com/CrazyBoneHunting
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: txaggie02] #3671390 10/18/12 03:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Absolutely. But there are still tons of hunters that kill very young spikes that shouldn't be shot. I'd be willing to bet $1000 that many of those spikes haven't even had the time to grow anything more than spikes. They just see a spike and stick the rifle out the window without even realizing the deer is 1.5 years old.

You need to read some of your bretheran work then down at CKWRI and read some of their research on "culling". 10 yr study on over 4,000 bucks on 5 ranches in South Texas

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671411 10/18/12 03:30 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I was born and raised in Kansas and never heard of the term "Cull Buck" or "Management Buck" before I moved to Texas 8 years ago.

I was raised on the farm and did construction work to put myself through beer (before the Army) and college (after the Army). We "culled" through the material delivered and gave back the material we felt was "inferior"....so, I understand why someone would call a "genetically challenged" buck, a "cull".

I don't look at them as "throw aways" or something to get rid of. What I look at deer with antler traits not desirable to me, is an opportunity to put a friend or someone in need of meat on a nice animal.

Last edited by Pittstate; 10/18/12 03:32 PM.
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671430 10/18/12 03:36 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Ranchman
You need to read some of your bretheran work then down at CKWRI and read some of their research on "culling". 10 yr study on over 4,000 bucks on 5 ranches in South Texas

Is this online somewhere? Would be neat to read something new.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671448 10/18/12 03:42 PM
T
txaggie02 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T

Already read them. Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited by txaggie02; 10/18/12 03:42 PM.
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671462 10/18/12 03:47 PM
T
TXW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

STX, is this what you were referring to?

http://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/fileadmin/use...tions/FOLEY.pdf

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: TXW] #3671477 10/18/12 03:52 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: TXW

STX, is this what you were referring to?

http://www.ckwri.tamuk.edu/fileadmin/use...tions/FOLEY.pdf

Yes some of the same data was used on that presentation that was used on the one that I was at. Took the data and put it into terms/charts that the everyday deer hunter could understand. It was given by Dr. Hewitt

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: TXW] #3671478 10/18/12 03:52 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I like the STX studies, but I want some done in ETX.

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: rifleman] #3671481 10/18/12 03:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

When do we start and where? popcorn

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671497 10/18/12 03:59 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
That's a good question.. Temple has given SFA free run of some places for a while so figured they would have come up with something by now.

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: rifleman] #3671504 10/18/12 04:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
That's a good question.. Temple has given SFA free run of some places for a while so figured they would have come up with something by now.

How about that Gumby Pasture to start with stir

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671506 10/18/12 04:02 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Bet gumby is quacking in his boots!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: redchevy] #3671515 10/18/12 04:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Bet gumby is quacking in his boots!

confused2 trout peep grin

Re: One man's cull / another man's trophy [Re: stxranchman] #3671522 10/18/12 04:06 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

How about that Gumby Pasture to start with stir

I think I'm going to let him die of old age and get a statue bronzed in his honor.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide