Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Help on mechanicals [Re: justwes] #3665857 10/16/12 09:01 PM
R
Rockstar.3345 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Thanks for the help. I've never bow hunted in my life and no one in my family has ever done it either. I had fixed blade but I could never get them to fly straight. I can't afford a $600 bow, a $125 target, 3 $40 broadhead packs, a $35 release, a $60 sight and a dozen $8 arrows. So I use what I can. The first broadheads I used broke in the target when I hit it. Gummi Bear you've defiantly been the most help on this thread. I've heard the mechanicals fly like Feild points so I only had to buy one pack of broadheads and get a bunch of Feild points to practice with.

Last edited by Rockstar.3345; 10/16/12 09:02 PM.
Re: Help on mechanicals [Re: Rockstar.3345] #3665946 10/16/12 09:28 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If fixed blades are not flying right you need to take your bow and have it tuned. My fixed blade fly just like my field points.

Re: Help on mechanicals [Re: Wes70] #3665953 10/16/12 09:30 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Wes70
If fixed blades are not flying right you need to take your bow and have it tuned. My fixed blade fly just like my field points.

Re: Help on mechanicals [Re: Gummi Bear] #3666042 10/16/12 09:56 PM
J
JThoele Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Gummi Bear
Originally Posted By: Rockstar.3345
Do Y'all got something against me or what? I ask for help and get questioned on things that have nothing to do with the question. O rings and or ings that fit my broadhead are two totally different thing. It's not like I'm walking through the sock isle and boom there they are.

Here's the deal, and why folks are not responding positively to your ideas: Bowhunting is not something you want to short cut. It's your lax attitude that is setting people off.

There are enough things that can go wrong, without cutting corners and adding another dimension of something that can go wrong.

Your heads will not function properly if you try to find a short cut to "make it work" Use the bands that the manufacturer offers, even something close enough can lead to a failure.

Keep in mind that bowhunters as a sweeping generalization are very passionate, and have perhaps even more respect for their quarry than any other hunting demographic; partially due to the fact that we are so intimately close to them when the moment arrives. We spend hours and days and weeks and months during the off season practicing, tuning our equipment and scouting so that when the time comes we can put the best (most ethical) shot possible on our target. To many, bowhunting is a lifestyle, not just something you do to "get an extra month of deer hunting"

I disapprove of all mechanicals philosophically. I have had so many things go wrong on a hunt, I don't need something else to fiddle with or worry about.

All that said, you do NOT want to shoot the heads you've been practicing with at an animal. It is unethical. A dull blade will not cut everything in it's path and cause the hemorragic shock that kills quickly, but can and will slide right through game leaving them with a debilitating injury and suffering. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing and explaining this.

When you head out into the field, you want brand new RAZOR SHARP broadheads to take that shot that you worked so hard for so your game goes down without suffer.

Excellent response

Re: Help on mechanicals [Re: JThoele] #3667260 10/17/12 02:53 AM
J
jigman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I have a buddy who dips his rage 3 blades in melted wax I have never done it but he swears by it

Re: Help on mechanicals [Re: Rockstar.3345] #3667449 10/17/12 03:58 AM
G
Gummi Bear Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Rockstar.3345
Thanks for the help. I've never bow hunted in my life and no one in my family has ever done it either. I had fixed blade but I could never get them to fly straight. I can't afford a $600 bow, a $125 target, 3 $40 broadhead packs, a $35 release, a $60 sight and a dozen $8 arrows. So I use what I can. The first broadheads I used broke in the target when I hit it. Gummi Bear you've defiantly been the most help on this thread. I've heard the mechanicals fly like Feild points so I only had to buy one pack of broadheads and get a bunch of Feild points to practice with.

I can appreciate wanting to save a buck somewhere along the way.

I bought my first compound bow when I was 12, with lawn mowing money. I busted my hump all summer to save up for it. I understand how hard it is to turn loose of a dollar.

If you're new to archery, I highly recommend you pass on hunting this season. Take some time to get to know your equipment, perfect your form, and start learning a new way to hunt.

You will go through some equipment: upgrades, stuff you want to do differently and so on.

No new hobby is going to be cheap, but spend your money on the right things, and you can still have a good time while learning.

First thing I'd do, is spend the money to have your bow professionally tuned and fitted for you at a real pro shop. It will iron out issues like you can't imagine. Next, sign up for some lessons; it's money well spent to fast track yourself to shooting success.

If you are not improving, you are not having fun. If you are not having fun, you will not continue to pursue this activity.

I shot Thunderheads for years, and put a ton of meat on the table with them. They are inexpensive, durable, and fly very well. I started shooting them around 1989 (pretty sure they were out long before that), and they have remained largely unchanged for all these years. Why? Because they work.

Nowadays, I shoot Slick Tricks. They are a little more spendy, but fly really straight, and leave a mess of a hole.

For an all around target, save up for a Rinehart 18-1. They are around $100; what you get is a target that is super durable, easy to remove arrows from, accepts both field points and broad heads, weathers well, and comes with a 1 year warranty. If you can shoot it out completely in 1 year, they will replace it for free.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...”

Henry David Thoreau
Re: Help on mechanicals [Re: Gummi Bear] #3667728 10/17/12 12:15 PM
R
Rockstar.3345 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Thanks,I have a target ive been using, got it from a garage sale,it's a humungo and says its a broadhead target but I've had fixed blades break in it. Thanks for the help Gummi bear!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide