Forums46
Topics538,348
Posts9,736,125
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: texasd] #366330 06/03/08 05:56 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Wow! 363 acres with 10 feeders is too many in my opinion.

If I had that many feeders on acerage like that. I would sit down and talk with the other people that hunt and tell them that if they want to hunt the next season, that I would be filling the one or two that I want to hunt at and they should do the same for the feeders that they are going to hunt at. Otherwise, they shouldn't hunt the ones you alone are paying to feed and take care of. No way would I take care and fill 10 feeders for other people to hunt from. That's just too much money and time. I would get some kind of agreement written down on paper for this. It's BS to just fill that many feeder and not get any help. Cut down on the amount of feeders you have and only do three or four. I understand its a family matter and not trying to butt in really. But 10 feeders is a lot of feeders for that size of acerage. I wouldn't think you would need that many, but you know your property better than I.

As far as the amount of work it takes for you to put out there I can understand how much it is. We feed about 400 lbs of protein a day on our operation on one ranch from bags because we just never bought 1 ton capacity feeders. So every day I'm lifting and hauling and emptying bags. It does get old. I hope you find a way to resolve the situation in a peacefull manner with the family and friends of.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: Curtis] #366331 06/03/08 06:04 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
You are right that 10 feeders on this size property is alot but, you do not know the layout of the place. I say 10 feeders but, there is one at camp that we do not hunt off of....just watch. The other 9 are at locations where there are blinds. We could get by with fewer feeders but, when this place was bought, everyone set up a blind to start and a feeder was set along with it. If I were to feed one feeder for me, everyone would want to hunt at that location. Since I can not be there every weekend, I would still be paying for and supplying the means by which everyone took their game----from my feeder!! Therefore, a corporate decision will have to be made. I will not feed at all, or I will feed it all and hope to get some help. When I say help, I mean physical labor and/or money. The money is not as important as the labor. I have the money....don't have the time!!!

IMPEACH!! IMPEACH!! REVOLT!! REVOLT!! REVOLTING!! REVOLTING!!
Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: atascosa_red] #366332 06/03/08 06:13 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Put a heavy duty lock on the door to your blind that you want to hunt. If its a tripod stand or quad with a seat just take the seat off of it. You can always put this stuff back or unlock it when you get to camp to hunt and remove it and lock it up when your gone. That might help discourage anyone else from using your stands or blinds.

Last edited by Curtis; 06/03/08 06:14 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: Curtis] #366333 06/03/08 06:27 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
You are correct in the assumption that would probably stop these guys, however, it would not stop me!! I would throw up my double bull and get to hunting!! However, like I said, this is family, and I have to try and keep the peace. If I had my own way, none of them would be hunting with me. At the point where it is not enjoyable any longer unless I am hunting with my son and neighbor, or by myself. I kind of like it by myself better.....don't have to cater to anybody. Hunt where I want, as long as I want, and kill whatever I want!! Eat what i want, when I want. Sleep in if I want. IT SHOULD ALL BE ABOUT ME ANYWAY!!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: Curtis] #366334 06/03/08 06:32 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
You won't be getting any help. I had the same situation on a family farm when I was younger. I would build the stands, fill the feeders, and everyone would hunt the stands when I wasn't there. I finally quit filling the feeders and just set up a couple of hidden ground blinds. I would salt the roads around those stands whenever I hunted. Think I saw better bucks from those ground blinds than I ever saw around the feeders.

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: atascosa_red] #366335 06/03/08 06:35 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:

You are correct in the assumption that would probably stop these guys, however, it would not stop me!! I would throw up my double bull and get to hunting!!

LOL! Yeah I would do the same. I just figured from the way you talk about them, these guys would probably be too lazy to try that.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: jrs_39] #366336 06/03/08 08:14 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
This is true!!! I do not usually hunt from a blind anyway. I am the one who drives everyone out and drops them off. They have no idea where I hunt. I find a place I like, salt the roads and sit on a bucket. Have killed the bigger bucks every year....they still have no idea where I hunt and I make it a point to keep it a secret. I have my favorite spots......and there are no feeders there!!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: atascosa_red] #366337 06/03/08 08:56 PM
L
larrywoodson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
im going to keep feeding my free choice(corn and protin) going until october and the turn on the spin feeder. it will run for 2-3 seconds and thats it. if the acorn crop is good this year( and i think it will) it will go to one second

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: texasd] #366338 06/04/08 12:00 AM
P
prohunter08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
5.80 bulk you lazy asses.use a bucket to fillem up.10.00 a hundred on the 16% protien bulk.

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: prohunter08] #366339 06/04/08 12:20 AM
J
jsoukup Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
We were using M&M's, but switched to Skittles. The M&M's kept melting and clogging the funnel.

Shoot straight and always carry a 7mm Remington Magnum.
Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: prohunter08] #366340 06/04/08 01:29 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Quote:

5.80 bulk you lazy asses.use a bucket to fillem up.10.00 a hundred on the 16% protien bulk.

Lazy? You calling me lazy?? Hell, I work 7 days a week from spring to end of summer at least. I have two (2) corporations to run... Lazy?? Like I said, it really ain't about the money....IT IS TIME!!! Without HELP, it takes MORE TIME!! Lazy?? HA

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: texasd] #366341 06/06/08 03:01 PM
USMarine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
It seems to simple to me, fill one feeder up year round and YOU hunt it. If there are deer on your place, they will be at YOUR feeder. To the moon with the rest of the family members that are not contributing to the work on the lease. I have a cousin on our lease and he is the same way, I feed all year and he shows up opening weekend, puts corn in his feeder and then tags out. On his way home as I add up MY receipts. So it is JMO that you isolate an area and claim it as your own.

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: USMarine] #366342 06/06/08 03:06 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
The real problem is....I do not hunt at the feeders!!! The rest of the family does but, as said before, they expect all this labor to be done prior to their arrival!! Therefore, like I said, I will take a bag or two with me each time, feed where I HUNT, and to he....ll with the rest of them!!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: atascosa_red] #366343 06/06/08 04:18 PM
J
jbhlsu Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Well your scenario is some what similar to ours! We have about 1500-1600 acres with about 20+ feeders. There is 10 members and we all pay the same. There our 3-4 of us that do all the work. Well last yr this one yo yo on the lease called me up and said....blah blah this feeder is empty...I dropped the phone out of disbelief! I told him to get his gay lazy son of his ars and fill it himself! He said why are you getting mad! Then I said you get off your lazy [censored] and do it yourself! This is a man who lets his son drive the camp truck around while dad opens and closes the gates ! I rememeber when I was camp bitch and thats the way I learned. Well Louie T and I added rule #14 to the list this yr! #14 If you see/hunt at a feeder thats empty or does not go off..PLEASE FILL IT UP OR CHARGE BATTERY! Please do not cry or moan or call another member to tell them about this! THANKYOU MGMT! I sometimes get upset at all this, but 5 of the members hunt once a yr...so its not bad! We also add 200 a member a yr for corn and protein! Right now we have all but 3 feeders going...twice a day for 1 second and the feeders next to the protein are about 3 seconds...The ones on 1 second 2x day are lasting 4-5mths! ...we will keep them going too! Corn is 5.99 for a 40lbs at Academy!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: jbhlsu] #366344 06/06/08 04:30 PM
A
atascosa_red Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
A
Yup, nothing makes me madder then to come in from the morning or evening hunt and one of the hunters, (brother-in-law imparticular), says, "Hey, the feeder did not go off." Makes my teeth grind I get so mad. This chit has been going on for 15 years....he still does not know how to repair, fill, fix, mend, or anything. "I dunno" is his nickname!! I can get corn for $6.60 per 50 pounds at the place I usually buy from. $4.99 is not bad considering Bass Pro Shops is at $7.99 for 40# bags!! OUCH!!

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: atascosa_red] #366345 06/07/08 07:40 AM
H
highlonesome1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Maybe you should look into a feeder service. There are a couple people out here that will take care of those things for you. Then you can concentrate on the hunt and forget the BIL. Which by the way I also have a couple of BIL's that fall in the "sorry catagory. Its just the hand were dealt sometimes

Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: highlonesome1] #366346 06/07/08 11:36 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I also have a couple of BIL's

I'll see those 2 BIL's, and raise you eight. I've had 10 total, and only 2 sisters.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: what are you guys going to feed your deer? [Re: HWY_MAN] #366347 06/07/08 03:17 PM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Protein pellets, corn, and 100 grain Muzzy 4 blades.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide