Print Thread
Isolunar app ? #3651703 10/11/12 08:15 PM
R
rofd1374 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Question who here uses Isolunar app on iPhone and how is it used. Meaning should I focus on major or minor times etc. If understand it right I should focus on major peak time and what ever day shows the best potential . Is this correct.

instagram.com/mcgrawimages
Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: rofd1374] #3651746 10/11/12 08:29 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
That is correct, and it will tell you LST.

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #3651761 10/11/12 08:34 PM
R
rofd1374 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Lst ?

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: rofd1374] #3651906 10/11/12 09:33 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

A buddy and I created iSolunar 3 years ago...

In a nutshell, iSolunar™ Hunting & Fishing Times is an iPhone app that provides users with location-specific solunar times (peak feeding and activity periods). For the skeptics & unbelievers out there, it also has some practical info like sunrise/sunset times, weather, trophy room, maps, etc.

The Solunar Theory was originally proposed by John Alden Knight in the 1930s. Knight was an avid outdoorsman and journalist who examined 33 variables to see their effect on hunting times and fishing times. Of the 33, only the position of the sun & moon and barometric pressure were determined to be of importance. Because of the influence of the sun and moon, he called these times solunar periods.

Quote:
“Other conditions not being unfavorable, fish will feed, animals will move about, birds will sing and fly from place to place, in fact, all living things will become more active, more alive, during Solunar periods than at other times of apparent equal value. Those anglers who have had the breadth of vision to follow the schedule, have found that it is a guide to the best fishing of each day, and the quality of their sport has improved...” -- From "Moon Up, Moon Down" by John Alden Knight

The Major Periods last 2-3 hours and peak when the moon is positioned overhead and underfoot. The Minor Period times occur roughly half way in between when the moon passes the horizon at moonrise and moonset. Minor Periods generally last half as long as the Major Periods. The best hunting times and best fishing times occur at the peak of the Major and Minor Periods. These roughly correlate with high tide and low tide times. Knight also proposed that the intensity of the solunar periods also vary day to day through out the month with the moon phase - with the best activity occurring around a Full/New Moon and the least intense activity occurring around the 1st/Last Qtr Moons.

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: rofd1374] #3652076 10/11/12 10:39 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: rofd1374
Lst ?

LST, Legal Shooting Time

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #3652725 10/12/12 01:55 AM
R
rofd1374 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
R
Thank you

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: RedSnake] #3653035 10/12/12 03:00 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Old Weller
Old Weller
T
Originally Posted By: RedSnake

A buddy and I created iSolunar 3 years ago...

In a nutshell, iSolunar™ Hunting & Fishing Times is an iPhone app that provides users with location-specific solunar times (peak feeding and activity periods). For the skeptics & unbelievers out there, it also has some practical info like sunrise/sunset times, weather, trophy room, maps, etc.

The Solunar Theory was originally proposed by John Alden Knight in the 1930s. Knight was an avid outdoorsman and journalist who examined 33 variables to see their effect on hunting times and fishing times. Of the 33, only the position of the sun & moon and barometric pressure were determined to be of importance. Because of the influence of the sun and moon, he called these times solunar periods.

Quote:
“Other conditions not being unfavorable, fish will feed, animals will move about, birds will sing and fly from place to place, in fact, all living things will become more active, more alive, during Solunar periods than at other times of apparent equal value. Those anglers who have had the breadth of vision to follow the schedule, have found that it is a guide to the best fishing of each day, and the quality of their sport has improved...” -- From "Moon Up, Moon Down" by John Alden Knight

The Major Periods last 2-3 hours and peak when the moon is positioned overhead and underfoot. The Minor Period times occur roughly half way in between when the moon passes the horizon at moonrise and moonset. Minor Periods generally last half as long as the Major Periods. The best hunting times and best fishing times occur at the peak of the Major and Minor Periods. These roughly correlate with high tide and low tide times. Knight also proposed that the intensity of the solunar periods also vary day to day through out the month with the moon phase - with the best activity occurring around a Full/New Moon and the least intense activity occurring around the 1st/Last Qtr Moons.

Sums it up up

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others...

Like the THF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texashuntingforum
Grizzly Coolers
Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: TreeBass] #3653389 10/12/12 06:13 AM
B
bhackfeld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
This is great, I didn't even know this type of app existed. I just bought the app and can't wait to try it out this weekend when I go to the lease.

We moved to a house with acreage and deer basically living in my backyard last December. I have watched them trying to pick up habits according to weather and moon phases, and have noticed more activity around New and Full moons.

Would I see any type of correlation between past Periods if I compared them to my game camera pictures?

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: bhackfeld] #3654051 10/12/12 03:44 PM
G
grasshopperglock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
After a while using those apps(I use one for android). You get use to the times. Like three days before a new moon and three days around the full moon.

Here's an old school way of knowing good times:

If you have house cats. Watch when they are most active. Not just laying around giving you go to hell looks. They are predators like all the rest. Most active when game animals are.

Watch the squirrels. They are just as lazy as cats. If you notice them active during times you don't see usually see them. Its a good possibility most of the other animals are active also.

Both of the groups of animals are most active during times of the lunar cycle. Around the new and full moons.

Next time you have a really good hunt. Lots of animals moving around. When you get home, notice what your critters are doing. There active too.

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: grasshopperglock] #3654194 10/12/12 04:32 PM
B
bhackfeld Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I have only went through the pictures of one camera from the last time the card was pulled earlier this week.

I am impressed. There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern with the younger bucks, but the four oldest/biggest bucks that I have pictures of are all really close to the peak periods.

Using the TPWD rut study and looking at the 4 "antler" rating for the same time, I just put in for a few vacation days.

Redsnake - great app! Do you hunt in Nolan County or from around there? I grew up very close and my lease is just outside of Nolan County.

Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: bhackfeld] #3654234 10/12/12 04:45 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I used to have a blue gill in my aquarium at home. I used him all the time. If he was high in the water, underneath the grass, that's where I fished. Wad he holding to the log, or swimming around actively. Just the blue gill in the aquarium helped a lot on where to fish for a day.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Isolunar app ? [Re: bhackfeld] #3654271 10/12/12 04:58 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Im from Dallas. Family ranch in Nolan Cnty - about 10 miles north of Blackwell. Get out there a couple of times a year.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide