Forums46
Topics538,797
Posts9,741,414
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Texan1554] #3634601 10/05/12 01:34 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A call is only as good as the operator using it. If you can run a call you can call them in with anything. A $130 call in the hands of a poor caller will not put more ducks in the hole

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Texan1554] #3634602 10/05/12 01:35 PM
D
duckenstein Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I was at the Wildlife Expo and saw those Quack Shack calls. They're nice. I'd like to have one.

Scott and the other people with him seemed like cordial people.

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Jeff Elder] #3634644 10/05/12 01:49 PM
D
duckman10 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
A call is only as good as the operator using it. If you can run a call you can call them in with anything. A $130 call in the hands of a poor caller will not put more ducks in the hole

Amen!

Dry Creek Outfitters - North Texas Duck, Dove, Turkey and Pig Hunts!

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Widgeons shall now be known as democrats. Living off the hard work of others.

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: duckman10] #3634674 10/05/12 02:01 PM
D
duckenstein Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
You know... Back in 1936, Thomas Walsh won the national duck calling competition using only his own voice. So why are we spending $100+ on calls? It's humanly possible to sound like a duck... Just sayin

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: duckenstein] #3634679 10/05/12 02:03 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Because its not about sounding like a duck as much as its about controle of your call on main street calling. Its a whole different deal now.

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: duckenstein] #3634694 10/05/12 02:06 PM
fanatiquack Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I think Quack Shack calls are a little pricey, but I also like that Scott and Cameron are local, they've apparently got their own show coming out this fall on the SportsmanHD channel. (Produced by the same guys that do Treks across Africa)

Not often you can support local guys who live in our backyard...who will also get on TV talking about hunting ducks in Texas.

Especially when the calls are decent....even if pricey.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: duckenstein] #3634706 10/05/12 02:10 PM
D
duckman10 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: duckenstein
You know... Back in 1936, Thomas Walsh won the national duck calling competition using only his own voice. So why are we spending $100+ on calls? It's humanly possible to sound like a duck... Just sayin

Not at all sure a duck 300 yards away would here your voice calling at it.

Dry Creek Outfitters - North Texas Duck, Dove, Turkey and Pig Hunts!

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Widgeons shall now be known as democrats. Living off the hard work of others.

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Jeff Elder] #3634718 10/05/12 02:18 PM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Calling ducks is way over thought by most people. There is a time and place for each and every note that you can make on a duck cal. I have seen where a main street high ball has turned and brought in migrators. I have seen where just clucks and chuckles have put them feet down. I have seen where they don't want to hear a mallard hen call at all and a sprig whistle is what you need. And I have seen where more than not, that no calling was what needed to be done. IMO there are three types of duck callers.

1) Those who cant run a mallard hen call and say a whistle is all you need. ( because they are not yet proficient at the Mallard hen call)

2) Those that are just dangerous enough to make some decent notes on the call, so they tend to over call because they think you have to run that call from LST till you pick up your decoys.

3) Then there is the guys that know how to READ DUCKS and run a call. They know what a duck wants to hear from how they are acting THAT DAY and they can make that call talk duck, but they know when to call and not call.

Some how this whole thread has gotten off topic and been high jacked confused2

Anyway I will always have my RNT original and a Sprig whistle

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: duckman10] #3634789 10/05/12 02:44 PM
D
duckenstein Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: Duks-R-Us

Not at all sure a duck 300 yards away would here your voice calling at it.

Then why all the garish colors and irrelevant logos? If a good duck call is strictly about getting those "300 yarders" to come back to you, then why tart up a good call with all that nonsense?

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: duckenstein] #3634793 10/05/12 02:46 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
because it sales and looks pretty

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Texan1554] #3634877 10/05/12 03:26 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Texan1554
Originally Posted By: WAL1809
Asking what CNC was my attempt at poor humor. I know what it is and how it works. I just can't see a call costing that much. I don't blame them for charging what they want to charge. It is a free market society as of right now. Charge a $1000 for all I care, but don't get butt hurt when we declare it is too high. $115 bucks is a lot of money. You say it is worth it, some of us say it is not. There are a lot of calls out there. A lot of calls that work very well. I can't put down my old Faulks. I won't put it down. I won't put it down until the day it stops bringing them in. It is a very inexpensive call and I have killed 1 or 2 mallards with it over the years. Maybe even 3! I can say this. If somebody sat down in my blind and went to high balling, he is taking his future in his own hands. I'll redneck eye him from the left and my brother will redneck eye him from the right. The redneck eye is an early warning system for highballers. I have absolutely no problem with pulling a fast one on highballers. For example: I have been known to say "Oh wow! Nice call! Can I look at it". Of course the highballer who did not recognize the Highballer's early warning system falls for it and hands it to me. A 4 inch call slipped easily into the mud. I simply say "Thank you, now quit blowing that damn call" as I hand them back a barrel full of mud. I run a soft call and very rarely throw a cadence at a bird. In fact only if they are on the way out will I give a light cadence. I have found a bird that is choosing a spot but not decided will leave, I'll give a very soft cadence and leave it alone. MOre often than not a highballer will throw the kitchen sink at them at that point. I leave them alone. Often they will come back as I am giving them soft pops and quacks. A highballer will run them off and just say "Well its late season you know, they are jumpy" or "You can't call in every bird". We can all add to the list of stated reasons why a bird won't come in. #1 on the list is because somebody is trying too hard to get a bird in with only a call. Those people don't know what they are doing. Those people are the exact reason why I leased private in a mallard infested area, paid out the nose with only one other lease member on the lease. That one other is my redneck brother who feels just like I do about duck calls. As a matter of fact he sucks at blowing a call. He won't admit it but when birds are over head he will not touch his call. He is always saying "Get them in here Wayne" everytime. He has a great understanding of how birds respond to calls. They respond real well to very little calling.

So to end my early morning soap box I'll leave you with this. Expensive does not mean effective. You all have seen my posts about all of these new duck hunting products. Blackcloud is on top of that list. A company produces a product, they have to market it. How better to do that than use the human desire to be looked at as "In the know" to market that product. So they establish pro staffers. They post pictures to boost sales. Their pro staffers talk up the product. Prostaffers get free gear to push that product. I get it, it is sales they are after first and foremost. Great! Sell away. I just don't fall off of a turnip truck that easily. I sent a response to one of the guys pushing a duck call on here. Don't know who it was nor which brand of call. My response was "The call sounds like it is nice, send me one in the mail and if I like it I'll buy it". It is kind of humorous to think they never responded to my thread response. So here you go call makers, send me a call and I'll run it for a season. If I like it and see a grand improvement on the mallard activity, I'll send you the cash.

Ever think the reason your ducks come in is because you leased private in a good area and don't over pressure it? We'll just tack that to one on the list of reasons, right behind those soft pops and quacks.

Glad you have a good spot and have found what works for you.

In some other areas around the duck hunting world, they have found what works for them as well.

Agree

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Featherduster] #3634901 10/05/12 03:42 PM
M
Muddyfoot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Thread does seem a lil High Jacked getting on to the price of calls....But what I'm trying to say here is I would agree hands down that you can call at ducks with a call that cost $1 to $1000's but when call makers design a call and put a price on it thats for a whole different reason than just calling a duck.

For example....Everyone would agree that the Duck Commander has good calls for a pretty good price, Well then if they feel like the calls they make are good for the price then WHY do they have calls in their line up that cost in the hundreds of dollars?

I can take a call cut from tooth pick wood and call at ducks or I can spend the money for a well built call and it will out live me.

Last edited by Muddyfoot; 10/05/12 03:42 PM.
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: duckenstein] #3634940 10/05/12 04:01 PM
L
LuckyDucker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
And why aren't we still using black plastic bottles, canvas waders and wool coats...

If $100 is too much to spend on a piece of working equipment, you're in the wrong sport. Besides my shells and coffee, that's almost the cheapest item in my blind bag... lease, boat, 4 wheeler, dog, guns, decoys, blah, blah, blah... popcorn

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Muddyfoot] #3634955 10/05/12 04:06 PM
B
Beretta Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Well damn!! I started this thread to find out some calls I should look at since I want to get one or two more, had no Idea it was going to turn in to the Maury show. Anyways, I like the idea of keeping my money in Texas so from what I read Quach Shack is in Texas and what others are also here in our great state??

Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Beretta] #3634967 10/05/12 04:10 PM
R
Rob Robertson Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686
what others are also here in our great state??

Yentzen

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Beretta] #3634970 10/05/12 04:10 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
For your next post ask what mud motor is best.

Then shotgun.

Then ask about your local lake.

duel

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Beretta] #3634975 10/05/12 04:12 PM
T
Texan1554 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BerettaOnyx686
Well damn!! I started this thread to find out some calls I should look at since I want to get one or two more, had no Idea it was going to turn in to the Maury show. Anyways, I like the idea of keeping my money in Texas so from what I read Quach Shack is in Texas and what others are also here in our great state??

Cadence http://cadenceduckcalls.com/

JB http://jbcustomcalls.com/

Both really good calls here in TX

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: LarryCopper] #3634979 10/05/12 04:13 PM
B
Beretta Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Rob thank you

Two kinds of people vote democrat. Rich people that don't have to work, and poor people who don't want to work.
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: LarryCopper] #3634980 10/05/12 04:13 PM
L
LuckyDucker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

Then shotgun.

duel

Wait, include what's the best shells... up

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Beretta] #3634985 10/05/12 04:15 PM
B
Beretta Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
LMAO Larry, well no boat so no motor info needed... Yet. And I already have a shotgun I like and I've already seen the ending for naming public lakes smile

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Beretta] #3634994 10/05/12 04:18 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Tawakani

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: garrett] #3635085 10/05/12 04:55 PM
M
Maynard Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I love duck calls of all forms. I am a self proclaimed duck call junkie. I have both cheap ones and expensive ones. They all work. To me the call is one of the things that is so addicting to duck hunting. Its also why I love turkey hunting. Being able to sound like a wild animal and witness thier natural reactions is amazing to me. A duck call is a tool, and the right tool needs to be used the right way at the right time. Thats where reading ducks comes into play. If all you use is a whistle you are missing opportunities at ducks you could have killed. If all you use is a mallard hen call you are missing opportunities. If you are sitting where they want to be it gets easier, and takes less to get them in. We cant always hunt excatly where they want to be. Sometimes you have to pull them in, make them think they want to be where you are, and that takes a more aggressive aproach. When I say aggressive Im not talking just high balling. There are ways to be aggessive that are still ducky and not the highball. Even the highball has its place though, nothing works all the time. But those highfliers and ducks way off the highball can and will pull them in , and its about the only way to get thier attention. Duck hunters that roll there eyes at duck hunters who like to use duck calls make me laugh a little. If ducks didnt react to them the way they did and they werent required I wouldnt find duck hunting near as addicting. Scout, sit, wait, hope...sounds to much like deer hunting. I like having some controll on the outcome of the hunt. Pull a group of 75 plus birds from way off, work them for two passes, and have them sit down on you from straight up all committed on the third pass, knowing it woulndt have happened without being able to reach out there to get them, you might change your mind on the necessity of a duck call. The one call I wouldnt leave home without would probably be a Daisy Cutter, but i always carry a DR 85 with me some where.

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: LuckyDucker] #3635124 10/05/12 05:19 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: LuckyDucker
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

Then shotgun.

duel

Wait, include what's the best shells... up

Clearly Black Cloud! End of discussion! The Duck Commander is on the box it has to be the best!

stir

Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Maynard] #3635192 10/05/12 05:46 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Originally Posted By: Maynard
I love duck calls of all forms. I am a self proclaimed duck call junkie. I have both cheap ones and expensive ones. They all work. To me the call is one of the things that is so addicting to duck hunting. Its also why I love turkey hunting. Being able to sound like a wild animal and witness thier natural reactions is amazing to me. A duck call is a tool, and the right tool needs to be used the right way at the right time. Thats where reading ducks comes into play. If all you use is a whistle you are missing opportunities at ducks you could have killed. If all you use is a mallard hen call you are missing opportunities. If you are sitting where they want to be it gets easier, and takes less to get them in. We cant always hunt excatly where they want to be. Sometimes you have to pull them in, make them think they want to be where you are, and that takes a more aggressive aproach. When I say aggressive Im not talking just high balling. There are ways to be aggessive that are still ducky and not the highball. Even the highball has its place though, nothing works all the time. But those highfliers and ducks way off the highball can and will pull them in , and its about the only way to get thier attention. Duck hunters that roll there eyes at duck hunters who like to use duck calls make me laugh a little. If ducks didnt react to them the way they did and they werent required I wouldnt find duck hunting near as addicting. Scout, sit, wait, hope...sounds to much like deer hunting. I like having some controll on the outcome of the hunt. Pull a group of 75 plus birds from way off, work them for two passes, and have them sit down on you from straight up all committed on the third pass, knowing it woulndt have happened without being able to reach out there to get them, you might change your mind on the necessity of a duck call. The one call I wouldnt leave home without would probably be a Daisy Cutter, but i always carry a DR 85 with me some where.

YES!

#sigline
Re: The one call you will always have with you [Re: Beretta] #3635478 10/05/12 07:54 PM
B
bill buster Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
quack shack outlaw by far

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide