Page 1 of 2 1 2
Swollen Hoof #3628935 10/03/12 05:32 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
From the looks of the lopsided, deformed rack, I would say this hoof has been bothering him for several months. Looks mighty pitiful, but can jump in & out of the pen.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Dodge_Rock] #3628941 10/03/12 05:34 PM
T
TXHogger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
that thing looks in bad shape. shoulder looks all jacked up too and is that something on his chest? may need a mercy killing there.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: TXHogger] #3628942 10/03/12 05:35 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
snake bite.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Dodge_Rock] #3628943 10/03/12 05:35 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Looks like the ankle joint. He probably caught it in the top wire on a fence.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Stump_jumper] #3628984 10/03/12 05:50 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Agree with the shoulder being all jacked up too...

He is in bad shape and his foot, knee, and shoulder all on that front leg are all messed up...he looks pretty thinned out all around, not sure he would make it through the winter.

He needs to go!

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Stump_jumper] #3628989 10/03/12 05:51 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Stx posted a lot of info on some kind of hoof fugues or hoof rot. That's what it looks like.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: 8pointdrop] #3629179 10/03/12 06:53 PM
T
Topshot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
his shoulder has almost no muscle due to him not using that leg at all. his hoof looks bad; whatever caused it did so long ago, and it isn't healing up well imo. no muscle in his shoulder as proof it has been plaguing him a quite a while.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: hook_n_line] #3629286 10/03/12 07:26 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
snake bite.

x2

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Dodge_Rock] #3629289 10/03/12 07:27 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
He's messed up for sure. But I'm not so sure I'm on the "shoot him" bandwagon. One of a human's traits (including myself sometimes) is applying our senses and sensibilities to other animals. We don't know if he is hurting. We don't know if he is unhappy. We don't know if he'd rather be dead than alive. Unless we know that he would rather be dead than alive, it's a bit arrogant of us to pass that judgement on him.

I'm not knocking anybody or saying anybody is right, wrong, cruel, empathetic, or anything. I'm just wondering (in print) if we should so freely euthanize an animal because of our human paradigm.

Practice doesn’t make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3629300 10/03/12 07:33 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
In my humble non deer biologist/vetranarian opinion, if he can jump that fence and is still making an efort and coming to food he has a chance to make it. I think when they stop eating is when it is time to wright them off. Wild animals are amazingly tough animals compared to us. Ive seen bucks running on a broken leg chasing a doe, yeah, he looked funky as heck trying to run, but didnt let it bother him just kept after it. I would let him go.

We had a buck 2 years ago that got a bad messed up front shoulder, was one of the nicest bucks we had seen, he made it just fine, but for about 2 months after the season he never missed an easy meal at the protein/corn feeder.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: redchevy] #3629334 10/03/12 07:42 PM
C
Check1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Put the sad thing out of its misery.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Check1] #3629369 10/03/12 07:55 PM
E
Eagle Eye Impson Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
Deer are tough animals. I had one like this 2 years ago that had even broken off one side of his hoof. He survived to live another year. I took him out last year. He is probably in some pain but they are way tougher than we are.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3629373 10/03/12 07:55 PM
T
TXHogger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
In my humble non deer biologist/vetranarian opinion, if he can jump that fence and is still making an efort and coming to food he has a chance to make it. I think when they stop eating is when it is time to wright them off. Wild animals are amazingly tough animals compared to us. Ive seen bucks running on a broken leg chasing a doe, yeah, he looked funky as heck trying to run, but didnt let it bother him just kept after it. I would let him go.

We had a buck 2 years ago that got a bad messed up front shoulder, was one of the nicest bucks we had seen, he made it just fine, but for about 2 months after the season he never missed an easy meal at the protein/corn feeder.

matt

what is your take on a deer with inferior genetics?
Originally Posted By: PrimitiveHunter
He's messed up for sure. But I'm not so sure I'm on the "shoot him" bandwagon. One of a human's traits (including myself sometimes) is applying our senses and sensibilities to other animals. We don't know if he is hurting. We don't know if he is unhappy. We don't know if he'd rather be dead than alive. Unless we know that he would rather be dead than alive, it's a bit arrogant of us to pass that judgement on him.

I'm not knocking anybody or saying anybody is right, wrong, cruel, empathetic, or anything. I'm just wondering (in print) if we should so freely euthanize an animal because of our human paradigm.

not trying to start a big mess but i am curious as to what your take on "inferior genetics" are? we as humans don't see that as a reason to euthanize someone but in the deer world it is acceptable.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: redchevy] #3629413 10/03/12 08:08 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

matt

I agree with you that animals are tough little buggars...just imagine humans living in the wild and you would see over half of us die off the first year...

My point in saying he needed to go was simply that his whole body looked thinned out, like he wasn't making it happen or whatever is causing his hoof/knee/shoulder issue is affecting his whole body, like some infection or something...

I don't think this is an injury to the hoof, based on the swollen knee and wasted shoulder. Had it been an injury to the hoof significant enough to cause that kind of wasting in the shoulder, his knee would be tiny as well. It could have been a whole leg injury, but then you would think it would be more mangled than this and the hoof would not be swollen.

To me, this is either an infected snakebite which he is not recovering well from, or an infection of some sort (hoof rot or fungus or something). Given the shoulder wasting and the rump wasting on that side, it is long standing and his body is not handling it well. If he was healthy, his rump on the affected side would be extra-large to compensate for the leg issue...it is not, and in one of the pics appears quite the opposite.

That is why I said he needed to go...just letting you know what my reasoning was...

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Texas buckeye] #3629485 10/03/12 08:31 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

matt

I agree with you that animals are tough little buggars...just imagine humans living in the wild and you would see over half of us die off the first year...

My point in saying he needed to go was simply that his whole body looked thinned out, like he wasn't making it happen or whatever is causing his hoof/knee/shoulder issue is affecting his whole body, like some infection or something...

I don't think this is an injury to the hoof, based on the swollen knee and wasted shoulder. Had it been an injury to the hoof significant enough to cause that kind of wasting in the shoulder, his knee would be tiny as well. It could have been a whole leg injury, but then you would think it would be more mangled than this and the hoof would not be swollen.

To me, this is either an infected snakebite which he is not recovering well from, or an infection of some sort (hoof rot or fungus or something). Given the shoulder wasting and the rump wasting on that side, it is long standing and his body is not handling it well. If he was healthy, his rump on the affected side would be extra-large to compensate for the leg issue...it is not, and in one of the pics appears quite the opposite.

That is why I said he needed to go...just letting you know what my reasoning was...

Ok, my point is mother nature is a B! and deer are tough critters, he is still making a go of it, let him go. Im not gonna eat that deer if I shot it, so I would let him go and if he died he died and if he made it he made it.

matt

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: redchevy] #3629577 10/03/12 08:54 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Ok, my point is mother nature is a B! and deer are tough critters, he is still making a go of it, let him go. Im not gonna eat that deer if I shot it, so I would let him go and if he died he died and if he made it he made it.

matt

Understand completely, and agree with your reasoning there...he would be a good deer to take for a kid or first time hunter, but there is nothing wrong with letting him hobble around cheers

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: TXHogger] #3629729 10/03/12 09:32 PM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Originally Posted By: TXHogger
not trying to start a big mess but i am curious as to what your take on "inferior genetics" are? we as humans don't see that as a reason to euthanize someone but in the deer world it is acceptable.

I don't have a take on inferior genetics. I have a take on killing anything just because we think it's best and I believe you can deduce that from my statement.

If not, here it is in a nutshell:
I will kill to feed my family.
I will kill to protect my family.
I will not kill anything simply because I make the judgement that he/she/it is better off dead.

While I believe our Creator (in whatever form you believe) will condone killing as per the first two lines, He will not condone killing as per the third line; however well intentioned we may be.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3629787 10/03/12 09:49 PM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
he needs to be put down

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3630286 10/04/12 12:23 AM
T
TXHogger Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

Originally Posted By: TXHogger

I don't have a take on inferior genetics. I have a take on killing anything just because we think it's best and I believe you can deduce that from my statement.

If not, here it is in a nutshell:
I will kill to feed my family.
I will kill to protect my family.
I will not kill anything simply because I make the judgement that he/she/it is better off dead.

While I believe our Creator (in whatever form you believe) will condone killing as per the first two lines, He will not condone killing as per the third line; however well intentioned we may be.

not really sure why i am doing this cause i do fear the wrath of many here coming down on me but based on your statements - which i completely respect, it seems you do have an opinion on inferior genetics..

"I will not kill anything simply because I make the judgement that he/she/it is better off dead."

i wonder though what if this deer were in far worse shape. lets say you hit it with your car and it was obviously in severe pain and going to die? would you hold to your creed? like i said i completely respect your view and understand you are appear to be a godly person. i'd like to think i am as well. just trying to understand the stance. i will admit my original statement was in haste and i don't know that i really feel that way.

Last edited by TXHogger; 10/04/12 12:24 AM.
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: TXHogger] #3630476 10/04/12 01:15 AM
P
PrimitiveHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You can "what if" anything to death. Those are my basic tenets. When I was a teen, my Dad and I came across a doe that been shot in the hindquarters. It had been a while. She was infested with maggots, the meat had turned white, and she was so weak she couldn't try to get up. My Dad said we couldn't leave her like that. I told him I'd shoot her. He said a gunshot would scare off any deer so I had to kill her with a rock. I had been killing game since I was five years old and think what you want, I could not make myself crush her skull with a rock while she lay there and looked at me. I walked away and my Dad did it. I was weak I guess but I'm not ashamed of it. What if I'd been alone? I'd have killed her but with a gun shot. So yeah, there will be the rare exception when you are forced to do something that goes against your grain.

If it makes you feel any better though, if I found you in the same condition I wouldn't shoot you. grin

I understand everything you're saying except the genetic thing. I was just talking about a wounded deer. I didn't mean to infer anything else.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: PrimitiveHunter] #3630572 10/04/12 01:31 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
This buck has hoof or foot rot. It is a bad case at that. He probably got it sometime this summer. It did not effect his antler growth side to side but might have effected his overall rack. Hoof/foot rot starts when a deer gets a cut or skin break around his hoof and a bacteria from the soil gets into his system. Rutting bucks seems to have about 90% of the hoof/foot rot I have seen Once it gets started it can really bad. It gets into the joints and bones. Very rarely seen in does or fawns but they do get it. Hooves can slough off. That hoof or joint will feel like mush. It will smell and if you mash it what comes out of it will gag you. It is not genetic. He can live thru it if he gets enough food and does not get into trouble with other bucks in the rut. I have seen bucks get it in 1,2 or 3 hooves. If they get it in 2 or 3 hooves they usually die. I have seen bucks with it in one grow a great rack the next year. Seen them get it so bad they grow a half rack. Rear legs are worse than front on antler growth. Foot rot bacteria lives in the soil and can appear in wet or dry weather. Also once a buck has had it and gets better he can get it again.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: redchevy] #3631507 10/04/12 11:21 AM
S
Sniper Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I bet he got hung in a fence.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: stxranchman] #3631570 10/04/12 12:15 PM
D
Dodge_Rock Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Thanks for that explanation stxranchman. First instance I've seen. Letting mother nature take her course & we'll see what happens.

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: Dodge_Rock] #3631580 10/04/12 12:19 PM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
hope he can make it, hes a young guy!

Re: Swollen Hoof [Re: stxranchman] #3633032 10/04/12 09:09 PM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
This buck has hoof or foot rot. It is a bad case at that. He probably got it sometime this summer. It did not effect his antler growth side to side but might have effected his overall rack. Hoof/foot rot starts when a deer gets a cut or skin break around his hoof and a bacteria from the soil gets into his system. Rutting bucks seems to have about 90% of the hoof/foot rot I have seen Once it gets started it can really bad. It gets into the joints and bones. Very rarely seen in does or fawns but they do get it. Hooves can slough off. That hoof or joint will feel like mush. It will smell and if you mash it what comes out of it will gag you. It is not genetic. He can live thru it if he gets enough food and does not get into trouble with other bucks in the rut. I have seen bucks get it in 1,2 or 3 hooves. If they get it in 2 or 3 hooves they usually die. I have seen bucks with it in one grow a great rack the next year. Seen them get it so bad they grow a half rack. Rear legs are worse than front on antler growth. Foot rot bacteria lives in the soil and can appear in wet or dry weather. Also once a buck has had it and gets better he can get it again.

Learn something new every day. Thanks for the explaination.

Let'em grow old
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide