Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teal hunting in evening #3593176 09/21/12 10:06 PM
J
JTL 7mm Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Ok I know it's tradition to duck hunt in the mourning but I was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck hunting the evening on big public reservoirs?

"HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS"
Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: JTL 7mm] #3593273 09/21/12 10:39 PM
S
samsamthemex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I was wondering the same thing!!

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: samsamthemex] #3593312 09/21/12 10:55 PM
1 Year Wonder Offline
Tracker
Tracker
..........Its all terrible in the afternoon. Stay home.

The Wonder

Piles-O-Mallards TM

All posts made by the Wonder are a lie, tale, fib or some other stretch of the truth.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: JTL 7mm] #3593319 09/21/12 10:57 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Yes.

[Linked Image]

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: JTL 7mm] #3593324 09/21/12 11:01 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: JTL 7mm
Ok I know it's tradition to duck hunt in the mourning but I was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck hunting the evening on big public reservoirs?

Here is the deal. The pattern of ducks for the most part is that ducks have a place they roost at night, and a place where they feed during morning, and most of the time they will hang in that same spot all day. So most of the time, ducks sleep all night in spot A, then at first light they head to spot B and they stay there all day till sunset and they fly to spot A to roost.

So, lets say you got a spot were ducks like to be all day, and say that spot is holding 100 ducks. If you get there in the afternoon you are just going to scare all 100 ducks off. And x% of those ducks will not come back. But if you get there early morning, shoot the first 4 ducks that come in to feed, and get out of there with your limit, then when the other 96 ducks come they will land and that hole will be good for next morning. In addition, with 96 ducks on the hole, it will attract new ducks during the day and 96 could grow to say 115 ducks..

In addition, as said, ducks do most their flying in the morning, and when they find a spot they like, they will hang there all day unless they are disturbed. So morning is best because 1) ducks fly more in the morning and 2) less chance of messing up a feeding spot.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: JTL 7mm] #3593441 09/21/12 11:59 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

For Teal...Often. Some of my best teal hunts are in the late afternoon. Morning or evening I am still hunting the same water for teal. Regular big Duck season roost theory does not apply. Blue wings are migrators and always on the move. They do not stay in N TX long as they move through. The teal you hunt today, very likely are not the same birds you hunt tomorrow. For this reason I seldom scout before a hunt other than to assess water levels. The season is short, so morning or evening does not matter. If you have the time, get them while you can. But I will say it would be best if everyone else only hunts in the mornings.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Sniper John] #3593506 09/22/12 12:31 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

For Teal...Often. Some of my best teal hunts are in the late afternoon. Morning or evening I am still hunting the same water for teal. Regular big Duck season roost theory does not apply.

I would not say it does not apply at all. I say it does apply, but does not apply as much. I would say if you scout and find a hole holding 100 teal at sun set, a higher % of the duck you shoot the next morning will be the same ducks. Big ducks, a higher %.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Sniper John] #3593510 09/22/12 12:32 AM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've had some pretty good shoots in the afternoon. Friday afternoon when a lot of people are out scouting after work is a good time.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Guy] #3593561 09/22/12 01:01 AM
G
GreyDuck Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Guy

Here is the deal. The pattern of ducks for the most part is that ducks have a place they roost at night, and a place where they feed during morning, and most of the time they will hang in that same spot all day. So most of the time, ducks sleep all night in spot A, then at first light they head to spot B and they stay there all day till sunset and they fly to spot A to roost.

So, lets say you got a spot were ducks like to be all day, and say that spot is holding 100 ducks. If you get there in the afternoon you are just going to scare all 100 ducks off. And x% of those ducks will not come back. But if you get there early morning, shoot the first 4 ducks that come in to feed, and get out of there with your limit, then when the other 96 ducks come they will land and that hole will be good for next morning. In addition, with 96 ducks on the hole, it will attract new ducks during the day and 96 could grow to say 115 ducks..

In addition, as said, ducks do most their flying in the morning, and when they find a spot they like, they will hang there all day unless they are disturbed. So morning is best because 1) ducks fly more in the morning and 2) less chance of messing up a feeding spot.

I live South of most of the big reservoirs.

PLEASE hunt them in the evenings. grin That way we will continue to get the migrants that leave the lakes and head south since their roosts were disrupted.

Guy is spot on with this post. The fastest way to blow ducks out of an area is to hunt them in the evening. Sure, lakes are large but with pressure in the morning combined with pressure in the evening, they will not stick around long.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: GreyDuck] #3593597 09/22/12 01:15 AM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Don't hunt the roost and it'll be fine.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: GreyDuck] #3593821 09/22/12 02:37 AM
D
duckboogieman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: GreyDuck
The fastest way to blow ducks out of an area is to hunt them in the evening. Sure, lakes are large but with pressure in the morning combined with pressure in the evening, they will not stick around long.

^^^ This....

HRCH Miss Ivy's Frequent Flying Dutchman MH (Dutch)
Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: duckboogieman] #3599733 09/24/12 04:32 PM
E
E-Tx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I've had good success teal hunting in the afternoon catching them on the way to the roost.

Did have one hunt on fork. Shot some teal with some buddies. Heard a big splash as we were picking them up. Noticed half of one of the teal was missing....

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: E-Tx] #3604190 09/25/12 10:09 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Maybe, just maybe, the upper 90 degree temps for the evening shoot of early Teal is a good reason to hunt mornings only?

Guy ... does your initial response apply to big ducks Nov - Jan also? It's not been my experience.

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Cappy_TX] #3604667 09/26/12 12:30 AM
Y
Yegua lab Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Y
If yur hunting a lake with alot of crappie and bass guys, they keep the teal moving all day. Them suckers are looking for crappie and bass all day. If not, by 9:00 am, they are setting til last light. Don't take much to make a teal set in the morning.

2 Corinthians 4:8-9
Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Guy] #3604720 09/26/12 12:48 AM
C
Charlito Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

I would not say it does not apply at all. I say it does apply, but does not apply as much.

What in the hell are you talking about? Does it apply or not??

Originally Posted By: Richie Incognito
the thing about baiting is, even a rookie hunter could have a 170 bird season if they bait holes
Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Charlito] #3604799 09/26/12 01:07 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Charlie the Duck Dog

I would not say it does not apply at all. I say it does apply, but does not apply as much.

What in the hell are you talking about? Does it apply or not??

You can't read?

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Guy] #3604829 09/26/12 01:13 AM
C
Charlito Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Not your broken english...

Originally Posted By: Richie Incognito
the thing about baiting is, even a rookie hunter could have a 170 bird season if they bait holes
Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Trout-killer] #3605406 09/26/12 03:11 AM
J
J Loves Huntin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
have not had too much success./

If you look back over your life are you fully satisfied you pleased the Maker of Creation. Are you fully assured that you have trusted in His Son, Jesus Christ, for your salvation. Are you confident that you have a definite hope of going to Heaven?

EMT-B
Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Cappy_TX] #3606280 09/26/12 02:00 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Guy ... does your initial response apply to big ducks Nov - Jan also? It's not been my experience.

Yeah Cappy, that is my experience.

1) Ducks sleep in one spot and feed/party in another
2) Party starts at first light, and ends at last light
3) Get there before first light and you are the first one to the party, and you can smack the first ones coming thru the door. Get there in the afternoon and you crash the party.

Can’t tell you how many times I have been scouting in the afternoon and seen yahoos walking about shooting ducks on the water, busting up the hole, and pass shooting/sky blasting them as they fly around. Scout in the afternoon, and hunt in the morning is best, JMO!! And that is why I like WMAs, because they do not allow hunting in the afternoon, I can scout it in the afternoon and not have to worry about someone busting it up.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Guy] #3606302 09/26/12 02:04 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Better bring your watch...your only gona have a small window of shooting and usually will be on cloudy days when they are running a little earlier than normal. Iv had a few decent hunts in the afternoon but i would much rather be out durring morning anyday

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Navasot] #3606391 09/26/12 02:22 PM
S
sasquatch1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
So if you have water that is a roost and teal are going to move any way do you hunt the roost?

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: sasquatch1] #3606423 09/26/12 02:30 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sasquatch1
So if you have water that is a roost and teal are going to move any way do you hunt the roost?

I wouldn’t, but that is just me.

1) I would like to find out were they are going in the morning to feed, and shoot them there.

2) Ducks will keep coming to a feeding hole after been shot at vs a roost because they like to eat. Roosting spot, there is nothing there to keep them coming, they move on.

3) You shoot ducks coming to a roost, more times than not, it is after legal shoot time when most of the ducks get there.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Guy] #3606472 09/26/12 02:45 PM
S
sasquatch1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Guy, the place is a small private lake. The only time teal are there is in the evening. You are right about the time they get there it is just a flurry before the end of lst.

But with teal are they not gonna be gone quick will there be more utilize it as a roost?

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: Guy] #3606587 09/26/12 03:16 PM
S
shutduck Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

It seems to me this approach is more applicable to private hunting than for big public reservoirs. If you hunt the same public spot repeatedly this is probably pretty sound logic but there is an underlying assumption that you can control when a given spot is hunted. I think hunting ducks in the morning is the best time but not the only time. If you can get in the pattern you can decoy ducks late afternoon to early evening without shooting them off the roost. JMO.

Re: Teal hunting in evening [Re: shutduck] #3606661 09/26/12 03:27 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: shutduck

It seems to me this approach is more applicable to private hunting than for big public reservoirs. If you hunt the same public spot repeatedly this is probably pretty sound logic but there is an underlying assumption that you can control when a given spot is hunted. I think hunting ducks in the morning is the best time but not the only time. If you can get in the pattern you can decoy ducks late afternoon to early evening without shooting them off the roost. JMO.

On the private lakes and tanks we hunt we only hunt in the morning, because if you bust the roost they may move along.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide