Print Thread
.50 Beowulf accuracy question #3578613 09/17/12 02:37 PM
F
folsom Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
I finally put an optic on my Beowulf I chose the luepold 1-4x with the pig plex reticle. I mounted it with the Burris perp mounts that I laped. Now in all honesty it's my first time using an optic setup like this and first time shooting this riffle for accuracy purposes. After lapping and mounting the scope i shot it at a 60 yard target to get it on paper and get some groups going. After that we moved it out to 100 yards and it seemed the best I could get it to group was about 4 inch or fist sized groups. I was shooting factory AA 334 jhp. My question Is this considered decent groups at that yardage for this setup? In all we shot about 40 rounds so I know I need more trigger time with this rig but Ive been curious what others would expect out of this set up?
Oh and we shot it out of a lead sled to help reduce recoil for this process.

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: folsom] #3580670 09/18/12 12:33 AM
T
Texas Heat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Buddy of mine has one, I'm sure he will chime in on this. If I remember correctly his was a little all over the place with factory ammo so he reloads and it definitely brought his groups in tighter.

Love the Beowulf, definitely a hog slayer and attention getter at the range.

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: Texas Heat] #3581421 09/18/12 03:07 AM
F
fonzo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
yea I wouldn't call a fist sized group that great, pretty blunt I know. When I used to use factory ammo I could still get pretty decent groups within about 2" or so in a 5 shot group. They got a lot closer with reloads/me shooting the beowulf a lot more and not flinching so much. I had maybe 1 flyer out of the group of 5 with the factory ammo, very well could've been me flinching/pulling the trigger and gun trying to brace for the kick. Now with my reloads I still get a flyer due to me either being over confident, rushing my shot, or still pulling the trigger/flinching.

I'm not a big lead sled fan, so I couldn't tell you whether that helps or hurts your accuracy by relying on the sled to take all the kick and such for you or what. I usually shoot mine bench supported and when I take my time and concentrate on what I'm doing then I can get pretty good groups.

one of the last times I took my beowulf to the range to get my scope dialed in this is what my target looked like. granted this was only at 50 meters, but my groupings typically look the same out at 100 meters as well when I'm able to shoot out that far. the group right in the middle above the red dot is my last 5 shot group. the one directly above the 4 touching and to the right is the one where I got overconfident and pulled the trigger way too soon. I could've gotten them dialed in for the red dot but I left them high on purpose to try to adjust for 100 meters since I was going hog hunting and that was the furthest they were supposed to be max.

this next picture is from a few months ago at 100 meters. I let a few people shoot it to see what it was like at the range. very top two are one person's two shots, bottom 5 shots towards the bottom and right are another guy's 5 shots. the one shot a half mile below the 9 on the left and the 3 next to it are me just shooting it real quick. last 5 in the center are my last 5 shots actually paying attention to what I'm doing.

this is not to say that I don't ever shoot like crap, I do, TexasHeat can attest to it haha. When I first started shooting my beowulf my groups were probably fist sized as you say, but the more I got comfortable with the weapon/round/kick/etc, my groupings got a lot better. Hope this helps, but if you have more questions/comments/etc I'll definitely let you know what I know about my beowulf.

do you have a brake on your beowulf or no? also, what kind of stock are you using? just curious.

Last edited by fonzo; 09/18/12 03:10 AM.

First one down, many many more to come!
Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: fonzo] #3585396 09/19/12 02:14 PM
F
folsom Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
thank you for that detailed response fonzo, much appreciated. dont worry i have thick skin and i was under no illusion i had a perfectly sighted in riffle so i appreciate the bluntness.lol. as i stated before its my first experience trying to sight in this gun and cal. and i was curious how tight of groups others were getting out of the round. thank you for the pictures now i have a reference to go off of. as far as the lead sled im not the biggest fan either i just knew id be shooting a lot of rounds thought itd save my shoulder some. next trip out ill be shooting it from sand bags. as i suspected i think my main issue is just being new to this particular riffle, need more trigger time. to answer your questions i do not have a break on this gun and the stock is just a 6 position on a bushmaster lower. a better stock may help some? dose the break have any real affect on this particular riffle? curious if you'd be willing to offer up your reload specs as after we work up some more brass ill start reloading as you know its hard to find any factory ammo in stock. again thanks for the info

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: folsom] #3585552 09/19/12 03:07 PM
F
fonzo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
i just go off of the recommended reload data from alexanderarms, I'm not a professional reloader so i don't want to find out i did something wrong and blow up my barrel. Whether a new stock will help or not i'm not sure, i just kept having issues with my regular little 6 position stock collapsing on me sometimes and causing me to get smacked in the forehead with the scope, so i finally changed to a different type of stock. i read on another forum that a guy had success with a fab defense/mako recoil reducing stock on his beowulf so that's what i got. only got to fire one round out of it so far due to my buffer retaining pin wanting to come out and play also so i'll have to go back to the range and try it out more, but i'm pretty sure it reduced the felt recoil quite a bit from what it was before. plus it helped with my confidence and not jerking the trigger and trying to jump out of the way just in case my stock decided to collapse on me again. i don't have a brake on mine yet either, but after seeing a video of a full auto beowulf with a brake on it that didn't rise more than what seemed like about 2", then i decided i'd finally get one. it's supposed to reduce felt recoil about 20% i believe. like i said and you mentioned though, it's really just more trigger time that gets you more comfortable with this caliber and helps your groupings a ton.

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: fonzo] #3587258 09/20/12 01:39 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Mine has the factory brake, at the range people around me back away! (Holland stye brake) blast out the sides. I load and shoot 334 HP and some "old" 400gr SP. The piggies flip over when they are hit! Loaded to factory load specs.(Max.)

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: boonee] #3592969 09/21/12 08:43 PM
F
fonzo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
dunno if I should just create another thread, put it in my other thread or just drop it here. I figure I'd just drop it here though and hope you don't mind, folsom. I went to the range real quick today just because I still was itching to try out my new match trigger lower and fab defense recoil reducing stock. and all I have to say is.....

!!!!!

freakin LOVE this new stock. it reduces the recoil a TON, and I still don't have a brake on it yet! is it more fun to shoot, no not really because I enjoy this thing just the way I bought it, bare bones and full blast, but I also enjoy it the way it is now. does it allow easier, quicker, more on target, less effort follow up shots with my new stock, YES! I wouldn't accredit any of this to the match trigger, I just said that because that's how I distinguish between this lower receiver and other ones that I have. I shot more today also. those were just my last 5 shot group actually trying. the lower target, picture I'm about to show, was me trying to feel how the stock felt more than me going for accuracy, there were still a few good 3 and 4 shot groups in the mix though.

like I said, bottom target was first shots just getting a feel for the stock, top target was me trying to put them all in the same hole. still at only 50 meters though unless I go on the weekend so I can go out to 100 meters at this range on post, but it seems to do ok with it where I have it for hogs so far.

up close of the scatter target

little bit of funny, if you look at the first picture I put up, you can see the hill top in the background. that's all for now. I tried to take video also, hopefully it came out ok and I didn't curse too much when I kept getting burnt by my brass, if it did I'll put it up on here if anyone is interested in it.

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: fonzo] #3603676 09/25/12 07:55 PM
F
folsom Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
no problem fonzo i want to see and hear whats good, bad and recomened for this riffle and caliber. sorry ive taken so long to reply ive been busy with work and away from a computer. after seeing those last pics i may have to look into a new lower and stock myself..i cant to get a pig in the cross hairs now. still havent had more time to shoot it again but i will soon and report back and let you know if im shooting it any better. as for reloading i have a freind who is pretty good so im sure he'll kow what to do i was just curious if you guys liked certin bullets or powders better then another one. again thanks for helping me become more familar with this riffle.

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: folsom] #3603861 09/25/12 08:43 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Just for the record, are you shooting with a clean, cool barrel and still getting crappy groups?

rifles fling bullets all over the place when they're overheated and haven't been cleaned. I'm sure you knew this, but just to cover all the bases.

Last edited by Crews; 09/25/12 08:45 PM.
Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: Crews] #3604146 09/25/12 10:00 PM
B
bigtex46 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Alexander arms upper. Factory AA ammo. 3 shots @ 100 yds.

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: bigtex46] #3605239 09/26/12 02:36 AM
B
B MADIGAN Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Just got to find what the gun likes

Try different loads and try some reloads if you do that

Blake Madigan
Social Media Rep
Liberty Suppressors
817-999-2825
Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: bigtex46] #3605249 09/26/12 02:38 AM
F
fonzo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted By: bigtex46
Alexander arms upper. Factory AA ammo. 3 shots @ 100 yds.

one day i'll have groups like that!

as far as what powder and bullets, i use hodgon lil gun powder loaded to the max recommended grain according to alexanderarms' website, and i use rainier bullets i order from midwayusa. really not much to it, although i typically don't follow all the rules/guidelines to get the most out of my loads, but so far they've all worked and i haven't had any issues really so until i invest more money into my reloading setup then i'll just keep doing what i'm doing.

Re: .50 Beowulf accuracy question [Re: fonzo] #3608171 09/26/12 11:11 PM
F
folsom Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
F
Looks like I've got some practicing to do. Yes I shot a clean barrel and kept an eye on barrel temp I'm just needing more trigger time with it I believe.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide