Print Thread
Yildiz SPZ ME 12 gauge O/U- First Impressions #3594764 09/22/12 05:29 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Just picked up this shotgun yesterday from a man on TexasGunTrader .

The walnut, while nice, is nothing to get excited about. The checkering is mediocre, and seems like it was just put on there for the aesthetics.

The ejectors on this gun could shoot a shell probably 10 feet. I much prefer extractors vs ejectors, and I may end up cutting down the ejector springs. This will not only serve to reduce the force with which shells are ejected, but it will also ease closing of the action, as the ejectors are "pulled back" upon closing. The action is very stiff at the moment, and that should help it out until the gun is broken in.

The engraving is nice, and while I would have much preferred a plain-framed gun, I can deal with it.

These guns were a special for Academy Sports & Outdoors, produced by Huglu in Turkey, and they're marked as such. Although it's not like they're that special- all the Huglu O/Us use the same frame from what I can tell, and they aren't very different at all. However, these guns are serviced by Briley down in Houston, so it's nice to have a reputable company doing service.

The gun is very light (somewhere between 6-7 lb depending on where you get the information), and depending on how much it kicks today, I may be picking up a decelerator pad soon. The trigger is rough, and just sort of flops around under pressure from your finger after firing a shot. The safety also doubles as a barrel selector which can move from left to right to select the top and bottom barrel, respectively.

The Yildiz website claims that it can accept mobilchokes, but just by looking at the design, it's going to be proprietary. Good thing they've got Briley making the chokes. The rib has a single bead at the end, which I very much like compared to the double bead design. Not like I care much, anyway, because I hardly use the bead in the first place. The shotgun points well, and has a good fit for someone of my stature. I may just go ahead and get the recoil pad just to add another half inch or so to the LOP.

I'd say it's a buy, but I haven't shot it yet. It seems to swing well, and the 28" barrel is a good fit for most applications. If you placed it side to side, you'd definitely be able to see a distinct difference between the craftsmanship between this and a Citori, or god forbid a Kreighoff. Still, I'm impressed with what I've gotten for the money, and it should work very well for what I'm using it for.

Re: Yildiz SPZ ME 12 gauge O/U- First Impressions [Re: HicksHunter] #3594953 09/22/12 07:36 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Well its a $300-400 over/under so cant expect too much. It shouldnt be compared to Browning, Beretta much less a Krieghoff. Compare it to other O/Us in the same price range and thats where it really shines. Put it side by side with a Stoeger to see the difference

Re: Yildiz SPZ ME 12 gauge O/U- First Impressions [Re: jeepercreeper] #3595053 09/22/12 08:35 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
My cousin's have it and love it. I used on of them in 20ga.

Great gun.....kicks a little though

Re: Yildiz SPZ ME 12 gauge O/U- First Impressions [Re: chital_shikari] #3595075 09/22/12 08:51 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Get a good kick pad for it.

Re: Yildiz SPZ ME 12 gauge O/U- First Impressions [Re: dgilbert] #3595235 09/22/12 10:23 PM
R
rockyraider Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I'm not sure what you paid, but when buying one new from Academy it really pays off to have them bring you a half dozen of them out so that you have your pick of the best wood. Some of them have beautiful stocks that would be found on much more expensive shotguns. I did some modding on mine and I really like it, shoots like a dream (20 guage). I bought a green fiber optic front sight from Academy and a Limbsaver recoil pad. I also took three or four large egg shaped fishing sinkers and taped them together really well and inserted them into the void at the butt end of the gun. When you take the kick pad off, you'll see what I'm talking about. The weight will go all the way to where the butt stock meets the receiver so its nice and balanced when its all the way forward. This will add some much needed weight, will help balance the gun, and will kill some more of the kick. I love the original one I bought which is going to be my son's and I've yet to shoot the other 20g that I just bought the other day as a beater.

Re: Yildiz SPZ ME 12 gauge O/U- First Impressions [Re: rockyraider] #3596784 09/23/12 04:45 PM
J
JWP58 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
I believe you are mistaken. Huglu does not make these guns, Yildiz does. Huglu makes Huglu shotguns, that Dehaan and CZ sell.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide