Forums46
Topics538,383
Posts9,736,536
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3580948 09/18/12 01:31 AM
T
tlh3842 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Oh and since its been brought up now, the Ranger that I rode in which showed an incredible difference in ride was straight rear axle as well

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3581250 09/18/12 02:36 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: donswin
I'll probably park it next to my hunting trailer for deer season & bring it in for cleaning & tune-up in the spring.

Don't take this the wrong way because your entitled to spent your money how ever you'd like; but if your only going to use it a few times during hunting season it is a big waste of money. Any reason as to why you just can't use your truck? Or do you just really want a UTV?

Busted! They just look like fun.

My truck can go anywhere I need it to. It would be nice to go to the lease in my wife's car (more comfortable & better on gas) and have something I can use for utility work.

I am running into a cost problem. I only value the fun part at about $4000. There don't seem to be too many side-by-sides in that price range. The dealer I was talking to has a Ranger but the price goes up each time I call him.

With the Mule's governor, I'd be more comfortable letting my grandsons drive it.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: donswin] #3582118 09/18/12 01:34 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm with you. Today I use my truck and it does everything I need it to do.

That being said, I'd really like to have a Ranger. Keep the scratches off my pickup and they just look fun! Now I just need to find that spare $10k I misplaced.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: TxAg] #3584146 09/19/12 01:31 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Yes, they are fun but worthless if you only use them 10 times a year. I tend to use my truck at the ranch as much as I use the Mule, sometimes it's just easier to have everything you need with you and not have to load & unload the Mule. But at least you have your mind set on a reasonable price, spending $12k on a deer lease Mule is nuts. Guess if you were loaded then it could be easily justified, you do realize you are looking at the wrong time of year though right? Best time to buy them at good prices is after season when a guy realizes he bought a UTV for a couple weeks of deer season and reality sets in that it's going to sit for 10 months with no use.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3584366 09/19/12 02:11 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
grout-scout, you have a good point on the timing. I have noticed prices going up lately.

My lease is a year-round family one & we go out at about twice a month - more during hunting season. Your tool comment hits home. My Tacoma bed is full of tools & parts. I can fix what I need to right there.

I'll be the first to admit the attraction is the fun factor.

From what I've seen, the UTV's get to around $3,500 & stop there unless they're trashed. I figure if I can get into one equipped the way I want it for no more than $4k-$5k, I should be able to get most of my money back when I tire of it.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: donswin] #3584467 09/19/12 02:38 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
If those are your 2 kiddo's in the pic then you might want to go with a trans-mule or the double seat Polaris. They are real, real, REAL tight cabins with 3 in them. Sometimes I'll take a chair with side arms and strap it in the bed so it can't move and let my daughter ride in it for extra room. They are fun and great machines but they are also overpriced for what you get. If you find one in that price range it'll be a good buy and you will enjoy it. Have you talked to UTV/ATV stores in your area about giving you first notice on trade ins?

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3584940 09/19/12 10:18 AM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Using my Rhino and my utility trailer I just put a blind in a spot on our lease that would have been impossible to get to in my truck. I can ride the fence line and do repairs all the way around my lease in the Rhino but I could only get to about 30% of the fence in my truck.
Don't listen to the nah sayers, get a side x side, you and your boys will love it.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: twinbubba] #3602812 09/25/12 03:31 PM
V
vanmedic Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
V
I have 2 mule 610's very rugged machines,dont ride as smooth as the ranger but overall i like it better.The reason mule 610 is nice is it loads right up in a full size pick up no need for a trailer.

Some days your the windshield
Some days your the bug
Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: JustWingem] #3607693 09/26/12 08:31 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Go with the Ranger...Better built unit by far. A buddy bought the Mule and on it's maiden voyage hit a bump too hard and destroyed the steering linkage. He took it back to the dealer and got his $ back.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: donswin] #3607788 09/26/12 08:50 PM
J
Jack Wright Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I have Used both to work on Hunting ranches and to show properties as i sell ranches and use UTVs for that purpose. They are both great machines. I ve used Ranger, Mule, Kubota...far and away they easiest best ride is the kubota. Having said that the Used prices for Mule and the balance of price and performance would cause me to chose Mule if looking for goo used one as the Kawasaki engine is a bit better than polaris.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: JustWingem] #3607799 09/26/12 08:54 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Id buy a good used jeep before i bought a new ranger...price is crazy...mule will be a good workin unit and will be less work to keep it running...just a more simple unit. Now if you could get aholt of an oldschool ranger 500 those suckers were made to work..and would be better on the wallet because they stay under 23mph

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: Navasot] #3607815 09/26/12 08:57 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I personally love my cub cadet UV 4wd...runs off a Kohler engine and will handle a heavy load and the smooth ride is the best about it.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: Navasot] #3646744 10/10/12 03:00 AM
B
btyndell83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I've tried them all. I think the Kubota is the best for pure work, no play, the Mule is great for a smaller budget and the Ranger is the best all around machine. It rides great, the Kubota was stiff like a tractor, guess thats why it can haul so much, you pay the price with the rough ride. I just bought a new ranger, yes, the price is crazy but we use it everyday, better than the kids watching TV I guess. To each his own, I keep being told that Polaris is no good, but after 3 atvs and now a Ranger, they never let me down. The Kubota is very quiet, this is a big plus. The Ranger is faster and easier to drive.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3649799 10/11/12 02:25 AM
F
Finz2right Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Same, our mules have been punished and still run great

Last edited by Finz2right; 10/11/12 02:25 AM.
Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: JustWingem] #3650184 10/11/12 09:09 AM
O
oatmealhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
O
Here are a couple notes or observations that I have made about UTV’s and more specifically Rangers. I have owned 2, one 2007 model single cab and 2011 Ranger Crew 800. I agree with the observation that these are expensive units to purchase but I would like to add that, they hold their value reasonable well. Therefore if you don’t overpay in the beginning, you can own and enjoy for several years then sell fairly easily. I sold both for book value or slightly better each time and pretty quickly to boot. I will add, that the state is scrutinizing any declaration of UTV’s as “agricultural exemption” status and it’s not as easy as it was in years past, to do so. Nowadays, you have to either provide an off-road diesel permit and/or a “Texas Agriculture or Timber Registration” number and both are issued through the comptroller’s office. Anyway, back to my observations. The initial purchase of the UTV is generally not the end of expenses but rather the beginning, as that is when the accessorizing begins and it too, can be expensive. A roof and a windshield for the Polaris crew ranger are around 1500. I opted not to buy these at the dealer figuring I didn’t need them and besides I could probably get them cheaper from aftermarket producers. I’m not sure if it is really any better buying separately from aftermarket suppliers but wow was I wrong about needing them! I found that a roof to keep the hot Texas sun off me and passengers and a windshield to provide a break from the cold wind is essential. Again, you will probably recoup most of your investment but be forewarned, it does get costly. And, if you don’t already have a trailer, a small one can be 800-1200 and larger, even more. So it’s easy to see that you can be into 3-4 grand in extra’s in no time. Another note on the accessories, if you are able to use the “agriculture exemption” you might consider adding your accessories at the dealer, as you might be able to save some money on taxes that you would have to pay, if you purchase separately.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: oatmealhunter] #3651799 10/11/12 08:52 PM
B
btyndell83 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
You make some very good points. It is good to take everything into consideration.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: btyndell83] #3653739 10/12/12 02:04 PM
W
WEBBYODER Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I was looking at Rangers earlier this year and for the 4-5k price range for a used one, I ended up dropping 5k on a jeep! Heat and A/C and its street legal for the rest of the year. Just a thought.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: WEBBYODER] #3654162 10/12/12 04:16 PM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Love my Ranger.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: cos] #3654309 10/12/12 05:11 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker

I finally decided. Availability, price and condition all played a part.

My "new" Ranger had the traditional "Polaris Purple" Camo (faded) so I had it Rhino coated. I am in the process of installing a Big Sky gun rack and have new seat covers on the way.

There was some concern if it would fit on a 5x8 trailer. Well, it can be done, but I don't recommend it. Pics show a tight fit. The ramp had to be elevated to reduce the approach angle so the frame did not hit the trailer rails. I am picking up a new trailer next week.

Thanks for all your input. Different considerations apply when shopping the used market and my price range ($5k) was a tight fit. For a 2003 with 470 hours, I wanted a windshield & top but got a winch & rear window with the deal. I'm happy with my choice.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: donswin] #3655563 10/13/12 01:32 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Nice looking Ranger. It wouldn't be hard to make some doors for that rascal if you wanted to close it all the way in.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3655570 10/13/12 01:37 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Nice looking Ranger. It wouldn't be hard to make some doors for that rascal if you wanted to close it all the way in.

That's a good idea. I was trying to figure out how they would attach. It can get pretty cold during deer season.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: donswin] #3655856 10/13/12 03:33 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I made some for my Mule a couple years ago out of 3/4" square tubing and put clear vinyl over it so I could still see out the sides. I attached mine by welding door hinges to the 3/4" tubing and bolting the other side of the door hinge to the head/roll (the bar with the hand hold) over bar.Your Ranger does have a bit more angle than my Mule does though. That way when it's warm I can just pull the pins out and remove the doors real fast & easily. I'd take pics but my mules 4 hours from me.

Not hard to do, just takes a little pre-planning and brain storming, but works real nice when it's raining, drizzling or cold. Or all the above. grin

Last edited by grout-scout; 10/13/12 03:37 AM.
Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3656508 10/13/12 04:01 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Great suggestion. I didn't think of square tubing. Most of the less expensive kits use velcro & zippers which both can be cumbersome in the cold with gloves on.

If it isn't too much trouble, email me some pictures next time you are near your Mule. I'm curious to see how you attached to the frame and latch the door shut.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: donswin] #3657685 10/14/12 01:57 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Not going back there until the first weekend of December (mule deer season). You might try to find a pic of those inclosed cabs that they make and see how they attached the doors. On my mule the back roll bar is straighter and I bolted my hinges to that, so they actually open backwards of a car. To keep the door closed I use a bungee with a hook and have it real tight so it won't rattle.
When I get time I'm going to make a "Y" type door latch (kinda like how a chain link gate has) that will slip over the front windshield bars/frame. That will be easier to find in the dark versus trying to find a eye bolt with a hook & bungee. Being a tight wad I come up with some crazy ideas.

Re: Mule vs Ranger - Are my observations correct? [Re: grout-scout] #3657763 10/14/12 02:27 AM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Necessity is the mother of invention.

The gate type latch sounds good. All the ideas that work well in our driveway show their flaws when it is cold & dark & windy & wet.

My first add-on will be to build some type of ladder to help me get into the bed. Once there, I need a step to get to the right height to load corn. Doors will follow.

One guy built a neat high rear seat for his Ranger (another post in this forum). It has a ladder and seats. A real professional looking job. I only have a oxy/acetylene torch but it's been so long since I used it, I'd be dangerous.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide