Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: feeder hunting [Re: senko86] #3562508 09/11/12 11:38 PM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
There's certain deer that come to the feeder every day, but those aren't the deer you necessarily want to kill.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: Hooligan] #3562525 09/11/12 11:45 PM
G
gollygee Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Hooligan
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
OP...If you really want to be "sporting" try using a rock to hunt with!....Post pictures and we'll all tell you how wonderful you are!
Why do I get the feeling you are just stir

Yeah I was just bored in class and was curious as to the responses I'd get.

I'm not knocking it at all or saying its unethical. I never really thought about the acorns/food plot being similar which is a good point.

Turd stirrers is what my ex-wife called them.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: senko86] #3562526 09/11/12 11:46 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I really don't give a rats a** about what anyone else thinks about the way I hunt. Over the years I have done a lot of guiding hunters. I have found that a lot do a lot of talking about how good they are. I have also found that most that do the talking are not near as good as they think they are. I have taken out hunters that said hunting out of a blind was not really hunting. I have walked them rocking canyons, spot and stalking, sat and glassed until the next day they either wanted to sit in a blind or ride in the truck.Their idea of hunting changed a lot when they did not see an animal the first few hours. I had one hunter that wanted a free range axis buck with a bow. He said that shooting one with a gun was really not hunting. I took him to a place where there were quite a few good axis. I let him out and showed him a windmill on top of a rise that you could see from the entire ranch. I would meet him there at noon. At noon he had see bucks but could not get a shot. I was to meet him again in the evening before dark. I got there early and he showed up as well. He asked if he could borrow my rifle to shoot an axis. I said sure and had seen a good one driving in. Took him back to where I had seen it and he shot it out of the truck. Amazing how some people talk out of both sides of their mouths. They tell others that they should have waited another year to take that deer or they should not have taken it out of a blind or the only real hunting is with a bow. A lot of times what they say and what they do are two completely different things.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: don k] #3562706 09/12/12 12:36 AM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: don k
I really don't give a rats a** about what anyone else thinks about the way I hunt. Over the years I have done a lot of guiding hunters. I have found that a lot do a lot of talking about how good they are. I have also found that most that do the talking are not near as good as they think they are. I have taken out hunters that said hunting out of a blind was not really hunting. I have walked them rocking canyons, spot and stalking, sat and glassed until the next day they either wanted to sit in a blind or ride in the truck.Their idea of hunting changed a lot when they did not see an animal the first few hours. I had one hunter that wanted a free range axis buck with a bow. He said that shooting one with a gun was really not hunting. I took him to a place where there were quite a few good axis. I let him out and showed him a windmill on top of a rise that you could see from the entire ranch. I would meet him there at noon. At noon he had see bucks but could not get a shot. I was to meet him again in the evening before dark. I got there early and he showed up as well. He asked if he could borrow my rifle to shoot an axis. I said sure and had seen a good one driving in. Took him back to where I had seen it and he shot it out of the truck. Amazing how some people talk out of both sides of their mouths. They tell others that they should have waited another year to take that deer or they should not have taken it out of a blind or the only real hunting is with a bow. A lot of times what they say and what they do are two completely different things.

where did I say I was better than anyone or tell anyone to change the way they hunt?

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: feeder hunting [Re: Hooligan] #3562799 09/12/12 01:01 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
But are you hunting deer coming to the feeder or are the deer hunting you watching the feeder? Are you hoping they will show up or are they hoping you won't be there? popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: feeder hunting [Re: stxranchman] #3562820 09/12/12 01:08 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
They're hoping to dodge the truck

Re: feeder hunting [Re: senko86] #3562870 09/12/12 01:22 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I prefer to shoot them before they hit the pen. I don't see the hi fence/feeder theory tho

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: feeder hunting [Re: hoof n wings] #3563187 09/12/12 02:44 AM
C
Chuckybrown Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I often shoot does at/near the feeder. We're MLD III, and that's part of the tag filling we do.

Bucks, on the other hand.....I cannot think of a time when they've EVER been shot near a feeder. They're generally passing around the perimeter, chasing a doe nearby, or hauling a** somewhere in the line of sight on/near the game trails.

Regarding it being sporting......some would probably argue it's not "fair" unless we're physically wrestling them naked...but my ancestors didn't climb to the top of the food chain to continue to tackle dinner.

Oh, and I fish with bait too......

Re: feeder hunting [Re: Chuckybrown] #3563673 09/12/12 11:46 AM
C
Chris/HOU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I hunt a feeder and its certainly not a sure thing. When I hunt during the rut, it is a sure thing...mostly. Corn as bait or doe in heat as bait? I know which one I'd choose.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: Chris/HOU] #3563865 09/12/12 01:28 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I hunt feeders, it's legal and do not apologize for doing so. Topography and natural browse don't allow for as much diverse terrain as KS, IA or IL, so we make due with feeders/baiting. BTW, I've heard several individuals from those states that do not allow baiting, e.g., AL, GA, and they said they'd love to use "feeders". Therefore, I'd say the grass isn't always greener.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #3564159 09/12/12 03:19 PM
C
caldwelldeerhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
There is only one way of real hunting and I do this so I am the only true hunter on this forum…

The only ETHICAL way of hunting deer is to get on a horse and chase one down like a calf and then wrestle it to the ground and tie rope around its feet.

AND I go in the middle of the day because that’s when all the biggest mature bucks are out feeding

Thank you
bolt

If I put my wife in a high fence will her rack get bigger?
[Linked Image]
Re: feeder hunting [Re: caldwelldeerhunter] #3564401 09/12/12 04:52 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter
There is only one way of real hunting and I do this so I am the only true hunter on this forum…

The only ETHICAL way of hunting deer is to get on a horse and chase one down like a calf and then wrestle it to the ground and tie rope around its feet.

AND I go in the middle of the day because that’s when all the biggest mature bucks are out feeding

Thank you
bolt
No, if you were a real hunter you chase him down on foot.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: don k] #3564465 09/12/12 05:15 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Thank you
bolt
No, if you were a real hunter you chase him down on foot.

Only cheaters use horses...

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: feeder hunting [Re: don k] #3564480 09/12/12 05:22 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I hunt a few different locales, and I hunt feeders, food plots, funnels, acorns, the sunny side of a hill after a cold front, a watering hole, creek crossing, trails to bedding areas, etc. I have found that seeing deer at a feeder is not any more or less predictable than any of the other methods that I use. Sometimes they come in right when the feeder goes off, sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes never. It surely is not as simple as sitting there taking a nap until the dinner bell goes off, and saying that is a dis-service to someone who is trying to get into or learn about hunting.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: feeder hunting [Re: unclebubba] #3564508 09/12/12 05:31 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I don't know why some people feel that it's necessary to apologize for being the most intelligent animal on the planet. Cheetahs don't apologize for being the fastest. Bears don't apologize for having and using their teeth and claws. Lions don't apologize for hunting in large groups, neither do wolves.

Why should I feel bad that I have figured out how to use complex tools, opposing thumbs and the knowledge that deer will come to corn. God gave us the most advanced brain and intelligence in the animal kingdom. He did not give us great speed or a fur coat to protect us from the cold and wet. We all use our God given talents to our advantage.

Hunting over bait is not cheating.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: feeder hunting [Re: LandPirate] #3564526 09/12/12 05:38 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
LP for president!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: feeder hunting [Re: senko86] #3564554 09/12/12 05:49 PM
A
aoudadhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
The following happend about 3,000 years ago.

A young man goes to his father, and says he has trouble understanding what people think.

His father said, "come along, I will show you something"

The father took their donkey, and both him and his started walking.

They passed by some people, and one of them commented "look at that silly man and his son, they have a donkey, and they don't ride it while it is so hot to walk"

The father and son then both ride the donkey.

They pass some people. They heard them say "God, look at that heartless man and his son. They are riding that poor donkey in this heat!"

The father gets off the donkey, and leaves his son on it.

They pass some people. They said "Isn't that incredible? Look at that mannerless boy, he is riding the donkey while his poor father is walking in this heat!"

He gets his son off the donkey, and he rides it.

They pass some more people. The said "Look at that man! He is riding the donkey in comfort, while the poor boy is walking in this heat!"

The father gets off the donkey, and he and his son carry the donkey instead.

They pass some people. They said "how stupid can one get? Look at those two, they have donkey, and instead of riding it, they are carrying it!"

Bar B Diamond Outfitters
www.barbdiamondoutfitter.com
Specializing in Free-Range Aoudad Sheep Hunting.
Also offering Muledeer, Whitetail, Exotics, Predator and Wingshooting Adventures!!!!
Re: feeder hunting [Re: Hooligan] #3564589 09/12/12 05:59 PM
S
safdm44 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
gonna get a lot of flack for this I'm guessing but I don't get feeder hunting. Especially when people who are anti high fence hunt over a feeder. Is it still hunting when you can nap until you hear the dinner bell spin to wake you up as the deer walk in to the picnic.

Not saying I don't agree with supplemental feeding but just don't find it very sporting to sit in front of a feeder and "hunt" over it.

I am not crazy about High Fencing.. I understad the protecting what you have and all. But I would rather see antler/age restrictions or something to help with the killing of the wrong quality or age of deer than the high fences. To me this gives the best Natrual selection and possibilities of who knows what will cross your fence... Some argue because there are unethical hunters killing what they see fit and this can hurt you on your ranch having a low fence... That being said I dont really like high fences but I am not anti...

Now... I think high fence and hunting under a feeder are apples and oranges... dont think I have ever heard of a high fence ranch that did not have any feeders... I can think of all the bucks, big bucks I have killed and only one was under a feeder... I figure they are there to draw the deer in mainly does that bring the big boys in... Now feeders also give you a chance to really look at the animal you may take... rather than stalking and not hunting around feeders... you may get too excited or take a quick shot not really getting a full view of the buck you are hunting and he may turn out to be a 3 1/2 year old 10 when he should have been passed... but you did not get a chance to really look him over.... there in lies the feeders.... its all how you look at it.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: aoudadhunter] #3564599 09/12/12 06:04 PM
T
TheCloudX Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
What LandPirate said is dead on. I'm sure this has also been said, didn't read every post but here are my .02cents.

I've hunted my family land for years. We all hunted over a feeder, on blinds that we had set up when I was a younger guy - so they had been there for years. We spent a few years feeding year round, sometimes we would start prior to the season. The results were always the same.

We could go an entire season without seeing a deer. We've never seen them come right after the feeder goes off. I personally enjoy morning hunting more, and usually it would be 2-3 hours after sunrise, when the feeder went off, before a deer would come out. Even the hogs wouldn't come right when it went off.

Granted this is 3 people hunting 50 acres East Texas, and we never proved it, but we suspected the neighbors of hunting year round, so this is not a golden rule. I just signed up for a lease since my family no longer owns the land. Maybe things will be different, but I think it's still a safe bet that I wont be seeing a deer at sunrise and sunset every hunt.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: TheCloudX] #3564710 09/12/12 06:44 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I AM such an ethical sportsman that I refused to shoot this buck because he went to the feeder.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: LandPirate] #3564757 09/12/12 06:55 PM
H
Hooligan Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
I don't know why some people feel that it's necessary to apologize for being the most intelligent animal on the planet. Cheetahs don't apologize for being the fastest. Bears don't apologize for having and using their teeth and claws. Lions don't apologize for hunting in large groups, neither do wolves.

Why should I feel bad that I have figured out how to use complex tools, opposing thumbs and the knowledge that deer will come to corn. God gave us the most advanced brain and intelligence in the animal kingdom. He did not give us great speed or a fur coat to protect us from the cold and wet. We all use our God given talents to our advantage.

Hunting over bait is not cheating.

who said cheating?

It was a question admittedly to stir the pot because I was bored in a 3hr lecture class. Didn't know it was gonna over flow to other posts and sections of the forum, some people take the internet too seriously.

My sincere apologies to those who think I called them cheaters or unethical

Militavi Non Sine Gloria
Re: feeder hunting [Re: Hooligan] #3564801 09/12/12 07:08 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
hooligan. There is an old saying "If it don't stink don't stir it" Well, you stirred it and now the stink is all over you. Don't worry the stink goes away pretty quick.

Re: feeder hunting [Re: don k] #3564922 09/12/12 07:52 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Feeders are always going to be a little bit controversial. I hunt them, but most Whitetail states do not allow them so most hunters tend to look down on "Texas" Whitetail hunting. That's why you don't see alot of feeder hunting on all the hunting shows on TV - you see some, but not much.

I am also a big Bass fishersman. The big deal there is that most "real" Bass fishermen look down on those who use "live" bait (Shiners, worms, etc.). Most major tournaments and most rabid Bass fishermen totally look down on those who use live bait.

This feeder thing reminds me of that. I bow hunt alot with a compound bow. Traditional archers would never consider taking a deer with a compound bow and they consider crossbows the equivalent of using a rifle.

Automatic feeders are here to stay. I think those that choose not to hunt under them are entitled to that opinion and those of us that do hunt under them should be honest and admit that they do give us a tremendous advantage of at least increasing our odds of seeing deer, maybe not trophys, but good average deer.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: feeder hunting [Re: Hooligan] #3565007 09/12/12 08:12 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
It was a question admittedly to stir the pot

When you stir the pot, it will ususally boil over.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: feeder hunting [Re: unclebubba] #3566151 09/13/12 02:15 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I don’t see the difference in hunting at a feeder or hunting the only strip of woods that is surrounded by hundreds or even thousands of acres of corn, soybeans, alfalfa or some other mass planted crop. If folks in other states don’t think hunters in Texas should to be able to hunt feeders, let them try a one mile limit from any agricultural field. I bet they would cry like a bunch of babies.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide