Print Thread
Another kids and guns rant. #3538377 09/03/12 08:15 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread, so here's mine about a recent conversation between my daughter and I regarding guns.

My little girl is 4yrs old. Last weekend I came back from the farm and was unloading my truck. I walked in the house with my AR and when my daughter saw it, she asked me, "daddy, why do you have that gun? Guns kill people."

Whoa! I immediately addressed this situation, and asked her where she heard that. Her answer was, her teacher at day care. I stewed about it all that evening, and told the wife that I'd be picking the kid up from day care the next day (Monday).

To soften them up for the inevitable, my wife talked to the manager and teacher at day care that morning, and prepared them for what was to come, and that I would not be happy about even having to have the conversation with them.

Long story short, the teacher emphatically denied having said that, but went on to tell me that the school has a zero tolerance for any talk of guns, or toys that may even look like guns, and deflected blame by saying another kid may have said that.

I left there no more satisfied than when i went in, but was sure to tell them I would yank my kid out of their school in a heartbeat if I heard any more of that carp come out of her mouth, and that I also had a few friends that hunt, who's kids attend the same school, and how interested they might be to hear my story as well.

I knew sooner or later this problem would rear it's ugly head. But to have my daughter tell me something like that just blew me away at the time. For the past few months I have been thinking that it's getting close to the time to get her involved in a little bit of shooting, just to get her acclimated to it. Now it seems I have another hurdle to jump.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: psycho0819] #3538400 09/03/12 08:25 PM
T
thewrap Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
When it comes to guns people like that should just mind own business and quit with the ignorant comments.

Jesse Reynolds
Professional Home Inspector TREC ID# 21526
www.integrityhomeinspectionservice.com
Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: thewrap] #3538502 09/03/12 09:02 PM
B
BBD84 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: thewrap
When it comes to guns people like that should just mind own business and quit with the ignorant comments.
this for sure

Texas Elite Outfitters.
281-924-9720
Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: thewrap] #3538518 09/03/12 09:07 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
My kid was eight when he killed his first deer a doe, he toted the picture around every where he went for a month. He showed his teacher she said my gosh you killed Bambi, he said no I didn't I killed his momma. I laughed when I heard but did go talk with the teacher about it. She apologized and I never had any othe problems.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: cmc] #3538736 09/03/12 10:33 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
People are so freaking stupid it just amazes me. We used to take our .22's on the school bus so we could go shoot rabbits after school. We never had a shooting, kids respected their parents, teachers, and all adults. Of course, we were all raised around guns, so it wasn't a big deal. My guns are not locked up, because I haven'd had an extra grand+ for a safe, but my grandkids will freak if any of their friends even get close to one of my guns.
IMO, you raise them right, they'll act right...

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: toolman] #3538864 09/03/12 11:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
This is obviously a conversation to come later, but it is true that certain guns are made to shoot people. Of course the reasons why it can become necessary to shoot a human being would be part of that discussion.

Let's face it, we don't buy handguns to carry with us every day just to shoot deer.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Texas Dan] #3538901 09/03/12 11:35 PM
C
Camo Momma Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Not to start an argument, but the education that we are giving our children isn't the same education coming from others parents. Our kids are taught gun safety and the proper use, but that doesn't mean that little johnny's alcohohlic father ever says a word about a gun or not to take it to school and blow it away. Teachers have to combat situations by upholding a no tolerance on gun talk. If it helps keep my daughter safe than I'm ok with it. However my daughter knows what our rules are.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Camo Momma] #3538908 09/03/12 11:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Camo Momma
Not to start an argument, but the education that we are giving our children isn't the same education coming from others parents. Our kids are taught gun safety and the proper use, but that doesn't mean that little johnny's alcohohlic father ever says a word about a gun or not to take it to school and blow it away. Teachers have to combat situations by upholding a no tolerance on gun talk. If it helps keep my daughter safe than I'm ok with it. However my daughter knows what our rules are.

This is true. We have a responsibility to teach our kids the reasons why guns exist and why our nation was built upon a belief that every citizen has a right to own them. And like sex, we need to have that discussion sooner than in years past.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Texas Dan] #3538929 09/03/12 11:45 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Let's face it, we don't buy handguns to carry with us every day just to shoot deer.

You're absolutely correct but, I didn't buy a pistol so I could kill someone either. A pistol is no different than a fire extinguisher or a hammer, it's just a tool to use when you need it.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Camo Momma] #3538955 09/03/12 11:55 PM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

The problem is, your daughter is being taught by folks tasked with teaching them and they are telling them that an inanimate object is somehow capable of being "evil". We're living in some pretty jacked up times where idiots are shooting as many people as they can, but the gun has absolutely nothing to do with it. If every gun in the U.S. was confiscated tonight, there would be a killing with another instrument tomorrow.
All these kids are learning is how to be scared of a fancy slingshot...

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: toolman] #3539020 09/04/12 12:15 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: toolman
I didn't buy a pistol so I could kill someone either. A pistol is no different than a fire extinguisher or a hammer, it's just a tool to use when you need it.

Granted, you hope you never have to use either one. But you DID buy them so they would be available for their intented purpose should certain circumstances warrant it.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Texas Dan] #3539070 09/04/12 12:29 AM
M
Monkee Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Toolman said it best " If you raise them right,they will act right...."

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: toolman] #3539084 09/04/12 12:36 AM
C
Camo Momma Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C

You're absolutly right! The great thing about being a parent is I teach her to always listen to her teachers but everything that I say supercedes what they say. But if thats the only lesson that some kids are getting about guns than better than nothing at all.
The problem is, your daughter is being taught by folks tasked with teaching them and they are telling them that an inanimate object is somehow capable of being "evil". We're living in some pretty jacked up times where idiots are shooting as many people as they can, but the gun has absolutely nothing to do with it. If every gun in the U.S. was confiscated tonight, there would be a killing with another instrument tomorrow.
All these kids are learning is how to be scared of a fancy slingshot...

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Camo Momma] #3539130 09/04/12 12:54 AM
R
Red D Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Wow... How many times we have to explain to arrogant folks
that "People kill people", "Fat kills people", "Own stupidity and ignorance kill people"!
But nooooo, they ignore you and continue their narrow minded way

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Red D] #3539450 09/04/12 02:10 AM
bud_man Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Let's face it guys, its us against the world. As people move out of the country and into the city, hunting and guns become a taboo subject. People view guns as bad because of some bad people. If guns kill people, I'm sueing Oreo for making me fat...

P.S. pysco, I wouldn't have minded if you jacked my tread. We have a like set of mind. We got to band together to protect not only our right to bear arms, but protect our priviledge to hunt and enjoy the outdoors. You're good people in my book brother.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Texas Dan] #3539528 09/04/12 02:25 AM
G
GOLDSTEIN Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
I didn't buy a pistol so I could kill someone either. A pistol is no different than a fire extinguisher or a hammer, it's just a tool to use when you need it.

Granted, you hope you never have to use either one. But you DID buy them so they would be available for their intented purpose should certain circumstances warrant it.

Who says what my intended purpose of buying my handgun was? I very much enjoy shooting my STI just for fun. Is that not an intended purpose?

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #3539596 09/04/12 02:40 AM
M
Magicglock Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Let me see if I understand this correctly. We(the school) have determined that your 2A rights should not exist because guns kill people therfore we(the school) also feel it necessary to infringe on your 1A right to free speech and expression. Can't draw or talk about guns? My son is six and the school already tried that one with me. I told them exactly the above statement and invited them press the issue again. So far, I have not heard anything else. I have zero tolerance for ingnorance of leaders teaching our children.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Magicglock] #3539715 09/04/12 03:10 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Magicglock
Let me see if I understand this correctly. We(the school) have determined that your 2A rights should not exist because guns kill people therfore we(the school) also feel it necessary to infringe on your 1A right to free speech and expression. Can't draw or talk about guns? My son is six and the school already tried that one with me. I told them exactly the above statement and invited them press the issue again. So far, I have not heard anything else. I have zero tolerance for ingnorance of leaders teaching our children.

These folks are often good people, but they were never intended to be any sort of leaders. Their jobs are to teach our kids the 3 R's-reading, writing and 'rithmetic, not gun safety.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: toolman] #3540064 09/04/12 08:37 AM
S
Someone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
1980 6th grade Paul Revere Middle School in Houston, Texas I took my next door neighbors reloading equipment to speech class to do an oral presentation on loading your own bullets (.357)....I got an A....no one even questioned the topic

I did not take powder and my neighbor fired off the primers in his garage the night before (louder than he thought haha), but at the end of the demo the bullet would have looked real to anyone that saw it unless they looked at the fired off primer

my dad came up to school right before the class and we carried all the stuff in and then when I was done he took it back to my neighbors

we have fallen off a long ways in this country since then frown

on a side note a massive number of my former neighbors including those still live in that same area in the same houses

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: Someone] #3540272 09/04/12 12:57 PM
S
snoopy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I took my BB gun to school for "show and tell". Was prolly '58 or '59. I didn't get in trouble but was nicely told not to bring guns to school. If it happened today, the school would be evacuated, I would have been put in some kind of detention and my parents arrested.

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: psycho0819] #3540275 09/04/12 12:59 PM
W
wrknonit Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Another instance of the coming "big brother" scenarios that people fear. People need to leave our constitutional rights alone and mind their own business. Educate my kids, thats what they are paid to do, but leave the raising to me and my wife. texas

always room for another buddy!

Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: wrknonit] #3540463 09/04/12 02:26 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I do my best to help people to learn to shoot, and I've always been vocal about guns not being 'evil'. They can be dangerous in the wrong or inexperienced hands, so I'm big on gun safety.

In all my years, I've only encountered one person (woman, British) that was absolutely nutso in her fear or hatred of pistols. Their family (Male coworker of mine, their 9 yr old son, and the wife) was visiting us, and the wives were out in the back yard when the kid asked if I had guns. I told him that I did and he asked to see one and handle it. His Dad was fully Ok with that, so I went and got my Python out of the gun safe. After checking it out to be sure it was empty, I carefully let the kid handle it, with me at his side. That's when his Mom came back in the house. I still have hearing loss from the shriek she let out. Wow! I think her husband was as suprised as I was. Anyway, we all had some wine and calmed down, and I just let that moment and subject fade. There are some folks that just cannot be reasoned with, and that's something that we all need to be aware of.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: 603Country] #3556838 09/10/12 02:33 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I remember in elementry school, carrying my pocket knife every day. When art class came around, and something had to be cut, out came the pocket knife. Nobody ever batted an eye. Many Americans have a hugely different view of the world than when I grew up, and it is not a good thing. Good for you for standing up to those that don't get it. Funny story, my daycare has a valet dropoff. Friday, when I dropped him off, he told his teacher, "that's daddy's gun. I'm not allowed to touch it". I have a gun in the gun rack often, and the only comment any of the teachers has ever made was "where you hunting this weekend?" I love his school.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Another kids and guns rant. [Re: unclebubba] #3558655 09/10/12 07:40 PM
R
RLBAILEY Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
well said magicglock

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide