I joined the Navy #3556879 09/10/12 02:43 AM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
the plastic navy that is.

Picked up an Old Town Predator K140 today from a guy in San Antonio. Pretty sure this is one of Sniper John's kayaks and maybe another forum member too.

I got my wife and small girls in it and it held us but did not track well with that much weight. Kids thought it was great having the park ducks swim up to get the bread from their hands.

If anyone wants to do some preseason practice runs or scouting let me know. I could use the practice in the daylight before the season comes up.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3556979 09/10/12 03:07 AM
940AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Dog like riding in it?

No bad days hunting
Re: I joined the Navy [Re: 940AC] #3557028 09/10/12 03:17 AM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I haven't had her in that particular one, but she does fine in the other canoes and kayaks I've taken her in. She'll be good in it there is room behind the seat.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3557069 09/10/12 03:25 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
banana2WELCOME!!!! Loads of fun. We will have to do a public paddle up here this year!

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: I joined the Navy [Re: deckhand] #3557149 09/10/12 03:48 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Nice.

[Linked Image]

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Fooshman] #3557857 09/10/12 02:50 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I was on a compact keyboard last night so I didn't want to type too much.

The kayak is practically new. It has very few scuff marks on it.
It came with:
- two oars
- bed extension support you see in the first picture
- ratchet straps
- Fiberglass anchor pole for staking it out
- wall hangers
- fore and aft removable work decks
- flush mount for a rod holder

I can carry it solo for short distances and got it over my head. From the spec sheets it weighs about 75#.
I think it has a 500# capacity but after getting my whole family in it last night I know that weight distribution is more important the closer you get to that. We were over what I would think I'd have in gear on a hunting trip. Me, dog, gear should be around 350#

I'll be out of town first two weekends of teal season to visit my brother the first weekend (planned visit 3 years ago; he goes to Ole Miss) and offshore fishing the second weekend (free trip). So it looks like I'll have to make a test run loaded down with decoys and dog the last week of September after a regular hunt.

I still need to figure out how I'm going to get it legal for predawn running. I think I need to get one of those lights on a pole for it and mount it somehow.

I might take the dog out in it after work one day this week and get some more pictures.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: deckhand] #3557867 09/10/12 02:56 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: deckhand
banana2WELCOME!!!! Loads of fun. We will have to do a public paddle up here this year!

Count on me reminding you. I'm nervous about solo hunting when out in a boat. I think the buddy system is best, my kids love me too much to do something stupid.

Besides the conversation is better when there are two people. cheers

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3557879 09/10/12 02:59 PM
S
shutduck Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:
I still need to figure out how I'm going to get it legal for predawn running. I think I need to get one of those lights on a pole for it and mount it somehow.

Paddling at night: Remember that you must carry one bright white light that can be exhibited in time to prevent a collision. It is recommended that you carry a lantern, flashlight, or other attached white light that will be visible from 360 degrees. Regulations state that canoes, kayaks, and all other manually driven vessels shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/safety/vessel_requirements/

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: shutduck] #3557904 09/10/12 03:09 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. I need to get a battery operated white stern light.

The sidelights are a new twist this year and the guys at the TexasKayakFisherman forum are looking for clarification because in the actual statute it says they are optional for kayaks but in that summary it says they are mandatory with that "shall" statement.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3557933 09/10/12 03:22 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. I need to get a battery operated white stern light.

The sidelights are a new twist this year and the guys at the TexasKayakFisherman forum are looking for clarification because in the actual statute it says they are optional for kayaks but in that summary it says they are mandatory with that "shall" statement.

All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock. In vessels of less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), white lights shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles. Colored lights shall be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile. "Visible" when applied to lights, means visible on dark nights with clear atmosphere.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558015 09/10/12 03:47 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
John,

Check the last section on that page:
Quote:
Canoes and Kayaks

See All Vessels section above for general safety requirements.

Paddling at night: Remember that you must carry one bright white light that can be exhibited in time to prevent a collision. It is recommended that you carry a lantern, flashlight, or other attached white light that will be visible from 360 degrees. Regulations state that canoes, kayaks, and all other manually driven vessels shall exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, and shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock.

That is apparently new.

Last edited by TexasEd; 09/10/12 03:48 PM.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3558119 09/10/12 04:19 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
That is incorrect or incomplete. What your reading is a condensed summary or guide of applicable state and federal rules and not actual "statute", law or regulation. What matters is TPWD Code 31.064 and US code 33 USC 2020. You can google those, but this one quotes them pretty good and includes the most recent changes. None of the changes require running lights on your paddled kayak. If no motor, a single white light visible 360 degrees for two miles is all you need.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_l2000_0014.pdf
In this TPWD water safety act publication it states this for paddled craft.
6. If sidelights and stern light are not practical, it must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise in all weather.

Parts where it all comes from, but not all inclusive.

§ 31.073. Canoes, Punts, Rowboats, Sailboats, Rubber Rafts, Racing
Shells, Rowing Sculls, Kayaks, and Other Paddle Craft; Equipment
Exemptions
(a) All canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, sailboats, rubber rafts, and
other paddle craft when paddled, poled, oared, or windblown are exempt from all
safety equipment requirements except each vessel must have the following:
(2) the lights prescribed by the commandant of the Coast Guard for
vessels and required under Section 31.064.

§ 31.064. Lights
A vessel or motorboat when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one
bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise in all weather. A vessel
or motorboat when underway between sunset and sunrise in all weather must have
and exhibit the lights prescribed by the commandant of the Coast Guard for boats
of its class. No other lights that may be mistaken for those prescribed may be
exhibited.

§ 2025. Sailing vessels underway and vessels under oars (Rule 25)
(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this Rule
for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric
torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in
sufficient time to prevent collision. (* See State law-P&W Code 31.064)

§ 2022. Visibility of Lights (Rule 22)
(c) Vessels of less than 12 meters in length:
a masthead light, 2 miles;
a sidelight, 1 mile;
a sternlight, 2 miles;
a towing light, 2 miles;
a white, red, green or yellow all-round light, 2 miles; and
a special flashing light, 2 miles.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558212 09/10/12 04:59 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks, John. I'll probably add one of those battery operated stern lights from a deck mount. What do you use?

I hope you and Blaze are doing well.
Thanks for the inspiration to get a kayak for myself.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558267 09/10/12 05:25 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Welcome to the polyethylene navy. Yes that is my boat.

Your boat is made of three layers with a foam core so has plenty of flotation built in. If you fill with water from bad chop or a rouge wave, don't panic, just keep paddling to shore. I have done this.

No it does not track as well as some kayaks when loaded. It's a trade off for better stability. Load balance is important. Also related to tracking with this kayak when crossing a large body of water in the wind I use ferry angles to my advantage to move faster with less effort. It is wide. I prefer a longer paddle. Mine is a bent shaft 240 and I paddle with a lower brace, almost inuit style. Might be something to try if you find yourself constantly banging the side of the kayak with a shorter paddle.

I like this light and it will fit the scotty mount that is already on your kayak. I installed an additional flush mount scotty base on the stearn for mine.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/488/Scotty-Sea-Light.html

Mods I did.

Though the seat is adjustable, it kept moving on me. Once I found the position I prefered, I cut two pvc piece that just fit over the rails. Dismantled the rails, installed the pvc, put it back together, seat is now fixed in position for me.

I installed a small round deck plate on the rear deck. Purpose was so I could remove it to run a chain through the kayak to lock it down. I have had one theft attempt outside of a motel and in the parking lot of seawolf park. Both times the perp found I had a logging chain run through the deckplate hole and around my truck frame. You can also screw a lid to a peanut butter jar lid to the bottom of the deck plate lid and use the jar to put keys, billfold, etc, to keep them dry and safe.

Get a padded seat to go over the plastic one. I have a nice gell seat I mount to mine. It is worth the expense IMHO if you paddle any long distances.

Cheap mod is to add deck cords for and aft. Cheap addition that you will find very handy.

All I can think of right now.
John

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558290 09/10/12 05:34 PM
T
TOMCAT21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

All other manually driven vessels may exhibit sidelights and a sternlight, or shall exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise when not at dock. In vessels of less than 12 meters (39.4 feet), white lights shall be visible at a distance of at least two (2) miles. Colored lights shall be visible at a distance of at least one (1) mile. "Visible" when applied to lights, means visible on dark nights with clear atmosphere.

So SJ, what do you do about lights?

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558296 09/10/12 05:37 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Sniper John

I like this light and it will fit the scotty mount that is already on your kayak. I installed an additional flush mount scotty base on the stearn for mine.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/488/Scotty-Sea-Light.html

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558361 09/10/12 05:59 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
John, that is the exact light I was thinking of getting. I'll put the mount on as a flush mount.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558362 09/10/12 05:59 PM
T
Trout-killer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Congrats on the buy. up

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558378 09/10/12 06:04 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I scanned through my pics to see what I had that might show the rigging.

You can see the deck cords I added.

Scotty mount added to rear for light. I actually have dual scotty mounts on both sides for drift fishing or trolling and extra scotty mounts on rear for just storing poles on river trips.

The cheap white cooler from bass pro fits this kayak perfect. You can strap down the handles with the plastic mounts where the rear net deck cover used to be. The fabric deck covers are a pain, lures get caught in them, and they get in the way. I never use them. You can ice down lots of beverages or fish in that cooler, or makes a good live well for bait.

You can also see I added a tie out on the front deck.

And one showing the deck plate I added. Lid removed in the pic.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3558393 09/10/12 06:08 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Thanks, John. I'll probably add one of those battery operated stern lights from a deck mount. What do you use?

I hope you and Blaze are doing well.
Thanks for the inspiration to get a kayak for myself.

Your welcome. Glad to see you found the K140. I think I got a pm from you recently, sorry if I did not reply yet. I have been up to my you know what in alligators and caught up in training with blind Blaze and show dog Dash, so have only been doing drive bys on the forum lately. Blaze is doing well, I guess you saw the post of her still hunting while now blind?
Despite being blind, she is healthy as can be. Waterfowl hunting will be a problem for her. Chasing cripples on the water and long retrieves will be difficult if not impossible. Once she has swam out of my sight and out of sight of the target, she gets disoriented and loses direction now even with her left/right commands. I will have her along as much as I can, but for waterfowl probably going to do more kayak/canoe/pirogue hunting this year, to work on it further and assist when I have to. http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ind#Post3537100

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558399 09/10/12 06:10 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks for the ideas. I see some deck cords in my future. How much do you figure your gear weighs in that second picture? I think Daisy at 70# is a little heavier than Blaze.

Yes, I saw her in the protective glasses. My heart goes out to her and I know you had a serious brush with infection.

Last edited by TexasEd; 09/10/12 06:12 PM.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3558444 09/10/12 06:25 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Not a clue on weight. Couple dozen full size decoys there, a camo camp chair you can't see,, dove mojo, ammo box, and Blaze is between 65 and 70 pounds. She is an Amazon Vizsla. So far I have had no problem handling it with as much as I can fit in it. You don't have the high center of gravity problem that the sit on top kayaks might have.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Sniper John] #3558543 09/10/12 06:53 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
That'll be a GREAT duck hunting boat Ed.

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: Dave Speer] #3561249 09/11/12 04:02 PM
T
TexasEd Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Dave,

Welcome back to the real world. I'm excited about trying some paddle-in trips this year!

Re: I joined the Navy [Re: TexasEd] #3561262 09/11/12 04:06 PM
A
Astater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I just bought lights for my boat. Wal-mart had a "temporary" light system that mounts with C clamps and can be easily removed. $30 I think...

The things we do for ducks...
NRA Life Member
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Lifetime License/Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide