Print Thread
Lab pup eating the bird #3545383 09/05/12 11:07 PM
T
TgrygTC Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I have a 4 month old yellow lab who is having problems eating the bird. He's already caught a wounded live one and ate it about a month ago, and now I'm bringing in wings which he goes nuts and devoures it at sight. I know he's young and it's good he has a prey drive, but any suggestions to let him know it's not to eat? He'll be coming out with me this weekend for the first time and he may eat every bird, who knows. If I can get him to sit and focus instead of chasing grasshoppers I'll be good, but hey I guess he's still a puppy!

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: TgrygTC] #3545503 09/05/12 11:40 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
its hard to break a habit once its started. Why take a chance on getting this ingrained before you teach him different? Force fetch will usually fix this

Robby

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: Birdhunter61] #3546605 09/06/12 04:12 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
4 months old is plenty old enough to be introduced to birds and to handle them gently. It's not about the bird, though... or his hunger, or anything like that. It's a RESPECT and DOMINANCE issue. Go back to the basics - obedience, patience & deference to the handler. Then teach him that the a bird is YOUR bird - not his. A patient, obedient & respectful dog carries out commands, restrains his impulses and never attempts to take anything from the alpha, no matter how bad he wants it - birds included. I would not give him the opportunity to continue along his current path until you have fixed this or you could be inviting it to get worse.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #3546851 09/06/12 11:49 AM
S
stinkbelly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
4 months old is plenty old enough to be introduced to birds and to handle them gently. It's not about the bird, though... or his hunger, or anything like that. It's a RESPECT and DOMINANCE issue. Go back to the basics - obedience, patience & deference to the handler. Then teach him that the a bird is YOUR bird - not his. A patient, obedient & respectful dog carries out commands, restrains his impulses and never attempts to take anything from the alpha, no matter how bad he wants it - birds included. I would not give him the opportunity to continue along his current path until you have fixed this or you could be inviting it to get worse.

I totally agree. One thing to really stress is that once the bird is delivered to you. It is yours and he should never touch it again. He will try to steal one from your bag when you are not looking. Keep the bag closed.

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: stinkbelly] #3547036 09/06/12 01:50 PM
T
TgrygTC Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I agree, but how do I teach him that it's my bird without making him think he did the wrong thing retrieving it in the first place?

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: TgrygTC] #3547524 09/06/12 04:51 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: TgrygTC
I have a 4 month old yellow lab who is having problems eating the bird. He's already caught a wounded live one and ate it about a month ago, and now I'm bringing in wings which he goes nuts and devoures it at sight. I know he's young and it's good he has a prey drive, but any suggestions to let him know it's not to eat? He'll be coming out with me this weekend for the first time and he may eat every bird, who knows. If I can get him to sit and focus instead of chasing grasshoppers I'll be good, but hey I guess he's still a puppy!

I wouldn't take him hunting in his current situation. You have no way NOT to make eat the birds. Since he's been doing it before he isn't going to change now unless you make him change. And you won't be able to fix that in a few days.

No more birds until you teach him a sound hold and delivery on bumpers and then transfer that to a bird.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: Angie B] #3548074 09/06/12 07:43 PM
T
TgrygTC Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Well he hasn't had a problem with bumpers. He has never fought me on them. He retrieves, and will deliver it to my hand without a problem. If he drops it, a simple "fetch it up" will get him to pick it back up and give to hand. It's only birds where the problem happens. Now even when I bring out a wing he shys away because in his head he only knows eat. Bssically, if I have something better he will give it to me (a treat), but there's not much I cn give him thats better than a bird. Basically is the only way to show dominance and correct it force?

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: TgrygTC] #3548255 09/06/12 08:42 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I think you're missing the point. You have to "teach" him the hold command and make him actively perform it when moving. It's called walking hold. Then you move on to force fetch. Once that's complete you can ff birds. You'll have "hold" and "fetch" thoroughly conditioned before you introduce birds.

But I wouldn't try to teach either until he's done teething which he's about to go through if he hasn't started already.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: Angie B] #3548495 09/06/12 10:01 PM
J
Jeff SATX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
yes, my dad ruined his labs by shooting starlings in the back yard that were eating his figs! he thought it was hilarious to see them go crazy and would spend days out there shooting those bastards, it was funny until bird season! i refuse to let my dogs eat any bird and they do try to sneak away sometimes which gets handled immediately and sometimes with a smacking or two! gotta break them of that habit, and remember, cute and funny stuff your dog does one day can quickly turn into annoying horrible habits that will break you before them the next!

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: Jeff SATX] #3549590 09/07/12 03:35 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Jeff SATX
yes, my dad ruined his labs by shooting starlings in the back yard that were eating his figs! he thought it was hilarious to see them go crazy and would spend days out there shooting those bastards, it was funny until bird season! i refuse to let my dogs eat any bird and they do try to sneak away sometimes which gets handled immediately and sometimes with a smacking or two! gotta break them of that habit, and remember, cute and funny stuff your dog does one day can quickly turn into annoying horrible habits that will break you before them the next!
YES! +1

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: TgrygTC] #3550460 09/07/12 03:28 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Well he hasn't had a problem with bumpers. He has never fought me on them. He retrieves, and will deliver it to my hand without a problem. If he drops it, a simple "fetch it up" will get him to pick it back up and give to hand. It's only birds where the problem happens. Now even when I bring out a wing he shys away because in his head he only knows eat. Bssically, if I have something better he will give it to me (a treat), but there's not much I cn give him thats better than a bird. Basically is the only way to show dominance and correct it force?

He will 'trade' for something better because, as my daughter likes to say, he's on "his time" - NOT yours. It's a respect & dominance issue. He is not respecting your position. Right now, it's birds. That's just the tip of the iceberg. You will have a bigger obedience issue if you don't get out in front him now. Stop any hunting/work with birds until you have full control over his muzzle. That means, you have full control over ALL of him. He MUST show deference for his handler or the dog will be handling YOU, instead.

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: Angie B] #3550472 09/07/12 03:31 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Angie B
I think you're missing the point. You have to "teach" him the hold command and make him actively perform it when moving. It's called walking hold. Angie

ABSOLUTELY! Once he has that hold down, he must hold & heel, hold & recall, hold & sit (and sit, and sit... while STILL holding!) Like any command, once given, it must be carried out until told otherwise. But UNlike many other commands, it must be carried out SIMULTANEOUSLY with other actions.

If you don't have this kind of control over his muzzle, you are inviting trouble to put a bird in his mouth.

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #3551501 09/07/12 09:44 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I also agree with this^^^

Robby

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: Birdhunter61] #3552837 09/08/12 12:37 PM
D
Don Dial Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
My Dear Old Dad would give a Pointer the heads from the Quail when they retrieved them..had a few who would find the birds and
pull the heads off and leave the birds on the ground afterwards.
I think one should correct bird eating right away when it happens
and not let a dog get into the habit..my hunting buddy has had a
couple of labs that eat the first two or three doves and then work..until they are hot and throw up the birds they ate..I don't
particularly agree with even doing this..DD

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: deckhand] #3555196 09/09/12 03:32 PM
T
TgrygTC Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
Thanks for all the input guys. I skipped on taking him to the honey hole where I saw alot of birds, and took him to a smaller place where a good day is 5 birds hoping to just shoot one to see how he worked. I ended up shooting one on the edge of a pond. It seemed as long as he knew I was the reason for the bird being on the ground, he knew not to eat it. Took him a while to find it, being his first one. I used the bird for retrieves, having someone throw it, me shoot and him retrieve. He did outstanding. He did eat the head when it had to be pulled off, but never tried to eat the actual bird. It may have just been because of the many retrieves but the bird wasn't much of a bird in the end. Any ideas on teaching him to be a little more gentle? I've heard retrieving a paint roller bc of the lightweight and easy to hold feel of it.

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: TgrygTC] #3555846 09/09/12 08:56 PM
D
duckhacker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Thanks for all the input guys. I skipped on taking him to the honey hole where I saw alot of birds, and took him to a smaller place where a good day is 5 birds hoping to just shoot one to see how he worked. I ended up shooting one on the edge of a pond. It seemed as long as he knew I was the reason for the bird being on the ground, he knew not to eat it. Took him a while to find it, being his first one. I used the bird for retrieves, having someone throw it, me shoot and him retrieve. He did outstanding. He did eat the head when it had to be pulled off, but never tried to eat the actual bird. It may have just been because of the many retrieves but the bird wasn't much of a bird in the end. Any ideas on teaching him to be a little more gentle? I've heard retrieving a paint roller bc of the lightweight and easy to hold feel of it.

It doesn't matter where you take him and if he gets one bird or a dozen. He still has the "mouthiness" that needs to be corrected. Re-read Angie's posts. FF/Hold is what needs to be done when the time is right (solid obedience & finished teething) to correct him on this. Look on YouTube for smartworks clips, specifically smart fetch(FF). Evan uses a paint roller during FF, but the paint roller is not what does the trick...it's the training.

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: duckhacker] #3576315 09/16/12 08:53 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
PETA = Puppies Eating Tasty Animals

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Lab pup eating the bird [Re: Buzzsaw] #3576699 09/16/12 10:38 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker