Print Thread
Mud motor questions #3545708 09/06/12 12:41 AM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Alright fellas, what kinda questions do I need to ask when looking at a mud motor for sale?

How many hours is getting to be too many?

Anything to look for, anything to avoid?

What if the guy cant take me out on the water with it? Anyway to hook up ear muffs and see if it works fine?

Thanks in advance, I just have no experience on purchasing a mud motor.

Re: Mud motor questions [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #3545734 09/06/12 12:48 AM
D
dav42070 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
If your wanting to get away from the crowds get an airboat. I seee more mm at the ramp now than outboards.

Re: Mud motor questions [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #3545788 09/06/12 01:02 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Hours are important but don't tell the whole story

* check for any structural cracks in the transom mount, swivel frame, lower unit or skeg.

* ask for service records--oil, fliter, plugs and grease/oil in lower unit/outdrive should have been regulary scheduled maintenance. As well as grease zerks on all swivel points.

* prop condition--look for hairline cracks, worn or peeled metal on leading blade edges. measure prop against what is stamped on prop. A good prop should still have plenty of cup and diameter left.

* check muffler for cracks that may have formed on exhaust flanges or support brackets.

* check all electrical connections and all elec features ( elec clutch, power trim,) if applicable

*Check reverse mechanism ( reservoir, hydraulic lines, calipers, rotation gear) if applicable

*inspect overall condition of block--look for corrosion, cracks or signs of heat stress. High corrosion on blocks suggests it has been in salt/brackish water alot. If that is the case then the elec connentions may be corroded as well. Dialectric grease on all elec connections is your friend in salt water ,btw

*There are no "earmuffs" with a mud motor because it is air-cooled, not water cooled so there is no water pickup.

* lastly, ask to take motor out for a spin. If seller is hesitant, there's your sign wink Anyone that buys a used mm without first running it gets what they deserve. In the 8 years I have been a dealer I have had several folks come to me with their new used mm ( of all brands) for help. They were told it was a "screamer" and no issues....yea, right

Good luck with your search and don't hesitate to pm or call me( my cell is in my sig line) if you have questions on a motor you have found for sale.

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Mud motor questions [Re: Homey da Clown] #3546574 09/06/12 04:00 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
OK so assuming the seller has the motor off of the boat and isnt able to take it out, would I be able to crank it and rev it up enough to tell if it is working properly?

Also it is my belief that this type of motor would be something easy to perform maintenance or repairs on, is this true or what?

Thanks Homey, your information is very useful!

Re: Mud motor questions [Re: ArkansasTraveler] #3546698 09/06/12 05:10 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
No...a motor can still seem fine when running in the driveway, on a boat or not. But it is when you put the motor under load where the deceit can sometimes rise to the top. A motor can run and seem to run fine on one cylinder. Drop that prop in the water, swat the throttle and it will fall on it's face. Only way to tell for sure if a motor is worth it is to FULLY inspect it, crank it and run it on a boat. I would not advise anyone to buy a used motor without first taking it out. Seen and heard of many a feller highly pizzed off at themselves becasue they bought basically sight unseen or did not run it first. YOu know the old cliche', " if it's to good to be true, ........" Ask if he'll let you mount it on your boat and go run it. Your dollar, your call.

Again, call me if you have any questions

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Mud motor questions [Re: Homey da Clown] #3548556 09/06/12 10:22 PM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Yea thats kinda what I was afraid of. Thanks alot

Re: Mud motor questions [Re: Homey da Clown] #3548584 09/06/12 10:31 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown

* check for any structural cracks in the transom mount, swivel frame, lower unit or skeg.

* ask for service records--oil, fliter, plugs and grease/oil in lower unit/outdrive should have been regulary scheduled maintenance. As well as grease zerks on all swivel points.

* prop condition--look for hairline cracks, worn or peeled metal on leading blade edges. measure prop against what is stamped on prop. A good prop should still have plenty of cup and diameter left.

* check muffler for cracks that may have formed on exhaust flanges or support brackets.

* check all electrical connections and all elec features ( elec clutch, power trim,) if applicable

*Check reverse mechanism ( reservoir, hydraulic lines, calipers, rotation gear) if applicable

*inspect overall condition of block--look for corrosion, cracks or signs of heat stress. High corrosion on blocks suggests it has been in salt/brackish water alot. If that is the case then the elec connentions may be corroded as well. Dialectric grease on all elec connections is your friend in salt water ,btw

*There are no "earmuffs" with a mud motor because it is air-cooled, not water cooled so there is no water pickup.

* lastly, ask to take motor out for a spin. If seller is hesitant, there's your sign wink Anyone that buys a used mm without first running it gets what they deserve. In the 8 years I have been a dealer I have had several folks come to me with their new used mm ( of all brands) for help. They were told it was a "screamer" and no issues....yea, right

Good luck with your search and don't hesitate to pm or call me( my cell is in my sig line) if you have questions on a motor you have found for sale.

askin him to take it out is the best advise you can get. That will let you know if he trust the motor or not

or see if he will run a compression check for you

Re: Mud motor questions [Re: Homey da Clown] #3548668 09/06/12 11:00 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown

* ask for service records--oil, fliter, plugs and grease/oil in lower unit/outdrive should have been regulary scheduled maintenance. As well as grease zerks on all swivel points. Also you can personally check all of this stuff when you see the motor, and I'll add in to check the air filter too

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Mud motor questions [Re: FowlDreams] #3548781 09/06/12 11:47 PM
T
TrackQuack Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
Homey has great input.

Re: Mud motor questions [Re: TrackQuack] #3548791 09/06/12 11:52 PM
M
mnsherick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
So Homey, how about that MB HD5500 MAG? Decent rig?

-Matt

Re: Mud motor questions [Re: mnsherick] #3548892 09/07/12 12:32 AM
R
R.T. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Beware of used MMs with performance mods as well

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide