Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,305
Posts9,735,539
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? #3538051 09/03/12 06:22 PM
D
deewayne2003 Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
My self and a buddy are giving serious thought to booking an Argentina dove hunt for next year.

I need advice from people who have been there; such as the do's and dont's or what ever other information you think would help.

Were looking to fly in and do 3-ish days of hunting then use the remaining part of the week to recover and site see.

Looking for good hunting and decent lodging while we do it.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: deewayne2003] #3538336 09/03/12 08:03 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Cash, and lots of it, is all u need

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: beaversnipe] #3538664 09/03/12 10:01 PM
L
Littledog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Find an outfitter offering as many free shells as possible.
Thats where they make most of their money at 12 to $15 a box.
That being said, when you get there, dont let the cost of shells keep you from shooting.
You can easily shoot a thousand shells a day.

Dont take your own gun. Rent guns from the lodge.
Most will have Berreta autos. They clean and repair their guns every night. They typically take extra guns to the field as you will melt down the rubber seals.

Take a shooting glove,(golf gloves work well) extra sun glasses, sun screen, good hearing protection, bottle of aspirin (all the shooting and wine will hurt your head).

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: Littledog] #3539956 09/04/12 04:31 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I'm headed down there again on 9/18, with a group of five friends.

1] Our September is the start of their "off season"...off means its hunting time here, so not as many folks want to go down there. Their prices (for the base hunt) drop 25% or more. Shells will still be the same price. There are still plenty of birds!!!!

2] No such thing as free shells. There are packages that include a minimum number of shells, then you pay over that. $11/box is good right now, $12/box is average, anything over too high. Some of these packages offer those shells at their 'list' price, some may be a 1$/box less in the package, but it is a form of gambling... if for any reason you cannot burn them all, you still pay for them all. Most places will NOT let hunters pool or share those shells unless it is negotiated that way before hand. Maybe 1 out of 5 people, that have never been before, find their body cannot stand 2500, or even a 1000, rounds over the course of three day. IMHO, the first timer should go with the lowest shell price per box that they can negotiate, instead of a package with a big built in number of shells. That also lets you better compare price of the packages. As the number of hunters in your group increased, you may have better luck negotiating a better deal. Excluding shells, the "Not Included"s can range from $300 - $400 to over a $1000, some ready carefully and compare.

3] As advised: RENT! There are a lot of expensive shotguns that cannot hold up to the punishment. Taking a gun did not used to be a hassle, but there seems to be some changes with domestic airlines transferring firearms to international airlines. I talked to a fellow at the Outdoor Show last month that missed his flight because American forced him to claim his checked gun, then recheck it on LAN.

4] Heed the GLOVES and good hearing protection warnings. Guns will be too hot to handle and your thumbs will be raw from shoving shells in. Comfortable boots or high top shoes! You will not be sitting around between shots.

5] Take several different recoil reducers. I took a vest with gel bad and a strap on pad on the last trip. Being able to alternate between them was like changing shoes after a long day at work work. This year I'm taking one of those shits with a moldable fiberglass Shields that fits in a special pocket. Worked will shooting one round of sporting clays, but I find out if the fiberglass can hold up to a few thousand rounds.

6] Don't over pack for the days you will be spending hunting. Wake up, shoot, change into shorts, drink & easy, pass out dead tired. Repeat. Go to airport. Depending on who you hunt with and when your flight arrives, you may not be going to the lodge before you start shooting...it makes it easier to find your fellow hunters in the boarding lounge.

7] Save up until you can go without worrying about the shell bill. A 1000 rounds a day really is easy...if your shoulder does not give out. I'm budgeting for 2500/day this time. If I shoot less, I'll feel like I got off cheap.

8] Speaking of give out, unless your really in good shape, I recommend a specific exercise for a month before going. Get a little 10# dumbbell from Wally-Word. Practice holding it at eye level, in your non-dominant hand, with your elbow not quite locked, for a couple of hours a day while you watch TV. That shotgun will get heavy after a couple of hours at your shoulder.

Where to go?
From what I have seen and the many folks I have talked to that have been to other lodges, the price differences are most related to how far you travel to the dove fields and the quality of the accommodations. Do you want to stay in the equivalent of a 5 Star hotel, where your waited on hand & foot during your dove hunt,or does a comfortable private room, good food served family style, and plenty of local wine and spirits fit the bill. My take: I'm going to hunt and will gladly save a couple of hundred bucks. We're going to one of the middle priced lodges and it is plenty nice for a hunt camp. smile

While folks that have been to multiple lodges will definitely each have a favorite, the only real negative comments I have ever heard were about BA outfitters where you stay in a BA hotel, then drive a total of 3+ hours a day to\from the fields.

Almost forgot: Many say this is a bucket list item, but its more like a drug! I was already planning the next trip and figuring out how to pay for it on the plane home! i've been saving three years for this trip.

Last edited by nak; 09/04/12 04:35 AM.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: nak] #3540027 09/04/12 06:00 AM
D
deewayne2003 Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Thanks for the info and I will be contacting you for follow up after your return.

Anybody else have have good advice?

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: deewayne2003] #3540438 09/04/12 02:16 PM
B
Basshunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
been the last 2 years. sent you PM with my number to discuss

Live life to the fullest - “You know how much money you have; not how much time”
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: Basshunter] #3540471 09/04/12 02:27 PM
T
topwater_elvis Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Find out how far you will be driving from where you sleep to the fields you are hunting. We drove 2 hrs each way, was really a hassle, worn out van, packed in together. Also, try to find someone that has pigeons,....lots of fun.

Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: topwater_elvis] #3588962 09/20/12 04:56 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is good information. I wonder how much should somebody budget for a 3 day trip...just the dove hunting not including travel?

A 2 hour drive each way would be rough.

To be determined
Re: Argentina Dove Hunt - Who has been and can give advice? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #3589134 09/20/12 06:01 PM
B
b1c2r3r4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have heard that it costs about $10,000 but he might of stayed at the 5 star resort. That would be a dream hunt for sure.

Last edited by b1c2r3r4; 09/20/12 06:20 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide