Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: beatarmy

-45 loses too much velocity in short barreled pistols
-357, like 45, loses a lot of velocity in a snubbie
-38 is even worse that 357
-40 is probably ok, but recoil is snappy in small pistols
-380 is too weak

This may be true, but strictly from the perspective of CHL, I don't think these characteristics would be as much of a problem than at longer target ranges.
I would go .45 all the way for the stopping power and less penetration (with the right loads, I must add)I guess that open another can of worms.

Also, while the .380 is the lesser of all listed on all points, I try not to under-rate it since it can still be as deadly. I do see the point, however, but I wouldn't say it's too weak.

...as He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free...
Re: best chl caliber? [Re: mattm] #3530809 08/31/12 05:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Isn't about being concealed? and Safe, but easly accessible?

380.. DA only

At what range do you flee or fight, and at fight range do you really need a cannon, especially with the large array of ammo choices we have to day

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: best chl caliber? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3530924 08/31/12 06:17 PM
M
mattm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Isn't about being concealed? and Safe, but easly accessible?

380.. DA only

At what range do you flee or fight, and at fight range do you really need a cannon, especially with the large array of ammo choices we have to day

Absolutely. Like I mentioned before, I do not by any means knock a .380, but you're right, you don't necessarily need a hand cannon at gun-fight range. I just happen to prefer the .45 over the others on a personal level. The way I look at it is, from the .45 on down to the .22--I don't want to get shot with any of them, so the perp will likely feel the same way. I would say what ever someone is comfortable with, is skilled with, can be effective with and can conceal properly is the best CC pistol/caliber for that person.

...as He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free...
Re: best chl caliber? [Re: Hooligan] #3532685 09/01/12 05:16 AM
S
Stat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I have benefited a great deal since joining this forum, and I am happy to be able to contribute in an area I know well. I am a walking Glock commercial, so my choice is biased, but I am a big fan of the sub-compacts matching the full sized. For me, a Glock 22 paired with a 27. We consider these to be standard issue in my house. Spare mags for the 22 will work in the smaller 27. Whatever you chose, be sure to get night sights as at least 85% of shootings seem to be at night.

What is more important than the caliber or the model (so long as it is a reputable brand) is how comfortable you are with a handgun, and in particular with that handgun. Earlier in my life, before my spare time became fully occupied as a professional chauffeur for my kids, I for several years shot with an IDPA style group (see www.idpa.com), developed skills that I still keep today. The key is proper form, accuracy, followed by speed. I started with a Sig Saur 9mm, but eventually switched to a Glock 40. I am very happy with my choice, but you may prefer a different choice. I suggest you find friends who have experience or take classes, get some pointers, try out as many different handguns as you can easily find, and see what seems to fit you the best. For example, I have a friend who has large hands, and even the Glock 22 is too small for him. He is happy with a classic style, large, heavy, Sig 220 in 45, a handgun that is an incredible shooter but too big and heavy for my comfort.

Thus, the choice is yours. Nothing wrong with a 1911 model, a Sig Sauer, a Beretta, a Glock, etc., in 9, 40 or 45. The key is training, skills, accuracy and speed. [Note that I list speed last. A very quick miss does no good.]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide