Oh..... And CORN

Re: Deer meat [Re: Pittstate] #3472779 08/14/12 03:17 AM
S
sprigman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
If you take the time cutting out ALL the white stuff on a deer, you will be amazed at how good it tastes. They would farm more deer is it was easier to properly butcher them. I get about 2/3 of the meat off a deer than most people. I cut all the white stuff out and cook it up and give it to my dogs.

This^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Deer meat [Re: sprigman] #3472788 08/14/12 03:19 AM
S
sprigman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
One more thing...... Med Rare to Rare backstraps whole on the grill is hard to beat.

Re: Deer meat [Re: sprigman] #3472797 08/14/12 03:21 AM
Z
ZombieGun Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
Do it yourself. I've never had a processor come even close to getting ground meat as good as I can at home. I use steak fat trimmings from Kroger to grind in with it. About 85% deer meat and 15% steak fat. Great, now I'm hungry again. You won't want to give it away either, I'm stingy with mine.

Re: Deer meat [Re: Brother in-law] #3473043 08/14/12 05:22 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
If you don't like ground venison, try this and you will change your mind. I save my brisket fat trimmings all year in the freezer. When I butcher my deer I trim out all the fat, all the silver skin and sinew. Don't let the processer do this. He will probably not trim it well enough. I grind the brisket fat very fine, and add it to the venison in a 85/15 ratio. Juiciest, tastiest venison burger I've ever had!

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Deer meat [Re: unclebubba] #3473053 08/14/12 05:45 AM
C
cory_cooper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
whitetail tastes very much like good lamb, that being said it is not for everyone. And this goes for steaks as well, if you have to pound it with a mallet and chicken fry it or drown it in marinade to make it pallitable the meat is either substandard or you might want to rethink your butchering or meal prep. And never soak it in cooler water for a few days you will lose all of the flavor of the meat and end up with something that taste like dollar store pork chops.

Re: Deer meat [Re: Bittercreek] #3473515 08/14/12 02:03 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Bittercreek
All the above 100% truth.
We have always done our own.
Now here is my question.
I have always did the field work ASAP.
Then let it hang in the shade, under 50degrees. Or hung the
Venision in cooler for bout a week.
Always left the hide on.
Am I missing something?
What is the advantage to skinning the Deer soon.
Thank you.

I usually recover my deer and gut it in the field immediately after recovery. I then bring it back to camp and hang it up, skin it, quarter it, and put it in the cooler for a couple of days. I think in Texas because of the warm weather (really 60's are not unusual even in December)getting the meat cooled down asap is more important that what it likely is up north.

On those times when I shoot and recover a deer close to camp, I have brought on in to the game rack and skinned it and cleaned it without gutting. I don't do this often, but it is possible. The main thing is to get it quartered and into the cooler asap.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Deer meat [Re: bteel] #3473808 08/14/12 03:37 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: bteel
i didnt start a thread to argue i was just wondering how many people actually like and if anyone like me didnt.

Don't worry, all you need to do is provide the spark and the forum will fan the flames!!

JR

Re: Deer meat [Re: Bittercreek] #3473881 08/14/12 04:00 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Now here is my question.
Always left the hide on.
Am I missing something?
Thank you.

Leaving the hide on a deer will taint the meat therefore giving it the gamey taste that everyone complains about. You should always remove the hide no matter what the temperature. After doing so if the temperature is cool (bellow 50degrees) you can wrap your deer with a game bag to keep the flies off the meat. But this process is only short term. After the deer has time to cool (say an hour after skinning) the meat becomes much easier to quarter.

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer meat [Re: Pope&Young] #3473900 08/14/12 04:06 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I like to mix good sirloin meat with Wright brand bacaon ends and pieces (buy it at wally world in like a 3lb package very cheap). It makes what I call Deer Bacon Burger. I grill them over hickory coals to med well and they are the best bacon burger I have ever had. 4lbs of deer meat to one lb of bacon fat is the recipe. And, don't use deer scraps to make it....use nice small cuts of meat with zero white stuff from the deer. I prefer the sirloin or back strap ground with it.

Re: Deer meat [Re: bteel] #3473923 08/14/12 04:12 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
The difference between the meat from a young doe vs. a mature buck is night and day. Last year a buddy of mine introduced me to venison chops. It's really popular in the midwest, but not so much in texas. We had them cut about 1 inch thick, and the result looks like a bunch of venison mini-t-bones. I marinate them for a few hours, sear them about 1 minute on each side at 650 degrees on my green egg, and they come out tasting very much like a prime cut of beef. The rest of my deer get cut into ground meat. If you're sensitive to the venison taste, just simmer the ground meat in some "better than bouillon" beef base. Again, comes out tasting like beef.

Re: Deer meat [Re: Grosvenor] #3473984 08/14/12 04:37 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
We haven't purchased beef in years. We eat almost exclusively venison, with some seafood and chicken from time to time.

There's a WORLD of difference between vension of different types. We eat mostly axis, and I have yet to meet anyone who still prefers beef after having some axis I prepared. There is zero gamey taste. In fact, BEEF tastes more "gamey".

Even within whitetails, there is a world of difference in deer depending on the location, age, gender, etc. North Texas "Farm" deer that are eating crops taste much different that deer eating scrub in south Texas. West texas deer eating sage also have a different taste. And, as mentioned, does or younger deer taste different that an older buck. I say "different", not "better" becuase everyone has their own preferences.

Also as mentioned, it makes a world of difference on how the deer is processed, stored, and prepared. One thing that constantly amazes me is the folks who "soak" their deer in ice water for days. I personally believe, after doing side-by-side comparisons, that this does more harm than good. Think about it and try this: try soaking a prime beef rib in a bowl of ice water for a couple of days before you cook it. Chances are you probably won't like it. smile

While WT definitely has a "stronger" taste than axis, for example, most novices overcook it treating it like beef. If you do this, it will be MUCH more gamey and tough. A good rule of thumb is to cook it one degree "lighter" than you would beef.

For example, if you like your beef "medium", cook your venison "medium-rare". If you like your beef medium rare, cook your venison rare.

We even make "carpaccio" out of our deer, especially axis. Take a slice of backstrap, cut it into thin small pieces about 1" sqaure and thin as you can. Pound/Press those pieces until they are paper-thin. Arrange on a plate and cover with Soy Sauce, Ponzu, or similar - sprinkly capers and maybe some dill over the top and set in the fridge until cold.

Eat 'em like you would sushi. Most folks can't tell the difference from fine sushi-grade tuna. It's delicious!!

BTW, we have eaten 10 deer over the past 12 months. 8 axis, and two whitetails. In fact, I am pretty much out of axis and am going this weekend to stock up again.

AND, since moving to all-venison diet - my cholesterol has been reduced 30%!!!

Last edited by John Humbert; 08/14/12 04:39 PM.
Re: Deer meat [Re: Pope&Young] #3474255 08/14/12 06:09 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Now here is my question.
Always left the hide on.
Am I missing something?
Thank you.

Leaving the hide on a deer will taint the meat therefore giving it the gamey taste that everyone complains about. You should always remove the hide no matter what the temperature. After doing so if the temperature is cool (bellow 50degrees) you can wrap your deer with a game bag to keep the flies off the meat. But this process is only short term. After the deer has time to cool (say an hour after skinning) the meat becomes much easier to quarter.

If it is cold enough outside(30's at night, no higher than 50 during the day) I will leave the deer hanging with a tarp to shiled it from the sun. I leave it hangin with the skin on, and have never had it taste gamey. If the weather cooperates, I'll let it hang for a week. If not, quarter and let it sit in the cooler (not soking in water, that's just nasty) for up to a week. Does wonders to making an old tough buck very tender.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Deer meat [Re: stxranchman] #3474265 08/14/12 06:12 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: redseal
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I don't think it is "good", I think it is "Awesome"......never liked it until I started to butcher my own deer.

x2 it's the best

x3
X4

Our freezer has more venison than anything else.

IMO, if you don't eat the meat of the animals you harvest, you shouldn't hunt, no offense to anyone

Last edited by West...; 08/14/12 06:13 PM. Reason: Wording
Re: Deer meat [Re: chital_shikari] #3474999 08/14/12 09:44 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
In regards to the cooler, the cooler needs to be drained several times a day in order to keep the meat out of water.

Maybe I am paranoid, but I gut, skin, and quarter my deer and get it in the cooler asap after I recover it. My venison has never tasted gamey and I have never had a problem with spoiled meat - even in the early part of bow season (and this year it starts on Sep 29 which could be a little warm).

Definitely keep it out of water though - drain and then drain some more.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Deer meat [Re: millerliteliker] #3480270 08/16/12 08:53 AM
J
Jon P Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Cutting the silver skin and fat off when you butcher your deer really will cut down the gamey taste. I enjoy a good steak but having some good venison is always a welcome treat.

Re: Deer meat [Re: millerliteliker] #3482169 08/16/12 09:36 PM
B
BYPATHofNIGHT Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I love venison...almost as much as wild hog.

Re: Deer meat [Re: BYPATHofNIGHT] #3482490 08/16/12 11:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
The only deer meat I like is Backstrap chicken fried and the rest sausage.

Re: Deer meat [Re: don k] #3483374 08/17/12 03:35 AM
B
Brando-Commando Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Venison is a delicasey especially with a helping of mashed tators and gravy! Lol

[Linked Image]
Re: Deer meat [Re: Brando-Commando] #3483450 08/17/12 04:01 AM
B
buck-snort Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If you are not fond of deer meat have your processor tenderize the meat. When run through a tenderizer you will not even be able to tell its venison if prepared right. I have also noticed a difference in the taste depending on who I take it to. Some processors do an excellent job with the meat while others don’t impress me at all. I have summer sausage, deer sticks, tenderized cutlets, steaks, sausage, and hamburger made every year. Of course like others on this thread I quarter and bleed my deer and place on ice as quick as I can. The meat I get back from my number on processor does not have much of a gamey taste at all.

Re: Deer meat [Re: buck-snort] #3484192 08/17/12 03:01 PM
T
Tatsun Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Its funny, I saw this post this morning and just last nightI thawed out some hind quarter steaks and sliced it up and have jerky being made inside of the dehydrator right now.

I love venison, its so much leaner, no hormones, no steriods etc. Al natural.

My lease buddy has a wife that will not eat any meat whatsoever, except for deer meat. The only reason she will eat deer meat is because of no hormones. Its funny because she will not eat pork tho, and we have tons of hogs.

Re: Deer meat [Re: Nate C.] #3484208 08/17/12 03:05 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Nate C.
It's just about the only red meat that is served in my home.

This.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Deer meat [Re: passthru] #3484249 08/17/12 03:16 PM
E
ejj005 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I have always wandered if it was ok to cook deer meat rare,medium rare...I have always made sure I cooked it well done? That's why I have always stuck with chicken fried steak or sausage.

Re: Deer meat [Re: stxranchman] #3484462 08/17/12 04:20 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Best venison steaks I have ever had were cooked at a birthday party what was catered by Perinis. They built fires and the coals like they wanted. They then put shovel fulls on top of bare ground. They used completely open metal grills about 12-14" tall on the bed of coals. They used spices on the 3/4" steaks but would not tell me what they used. They melted butter and had the steaks in the butter for about an hour. They put them on the grills for 3 minutes per side and then pulled them off. Best venison I have had grilled. They had it down to an art.

man that sounds good.

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide