Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Blind/Feeder Placement Help #3473734 08/14/12 03:14 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I'm going in to my 3rd year of my first lease ever. Prior to that, I always hunted by invitation in blinds that were set. I have no experience scouting, but have learned a lot through my cameras. Considering my age and health, I may have 5 more good hunting years left before I sit back and lie about it.

I have two leases near each other in the Eastland/Comanche county area. There is another post that got some great input on placement so I'm hoping for any similar suggestions.

My share of the first one (outlined) is about 125 acres. The blinds are 65 & 150 yards from my feeder. (I started with my blind about 100 yards North of the close feeder but moved it to the other side of the fence row last year).

After reading the other posts, I may have set my blind in the tree line path from bedding to water.

My cameras show an amazing variety of animals, but most outside of hunting hours.

Don's Lease:

I joined the second one in January. It is about 225 acres with two hunters and an occasional guest using existing blinds depending on wind. I have hunted the Creek Blind a couple of times with no game sightings but it does seem "gamey". So far, it is my favorite.

The other hunter has suggested I put a blind & feeder in the "proposed" area. I like the path but am concerned about the proximity of the neighbor's house. I hunted it from my pop-up last year & didn't know the hosue existed until I heard someone over there & looked it up on Google Maps.

I appreciate any comments, questions, or answers.

West Side Lease:

Re: Blind/Feeder Placement Help [Re: donswin] #3480960 08/16/12 03:40 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
All these views & no replies. Here's my question(s):

1. On the top picture, would you leave the blind where it is or move it? If move it - where?

2. On the bottom picture, would you attempt to hunt & feed in the proposed area, use an existing blind (which one), or put one somewhere not presently marked (where)?

Thanks!

Re: Blind/Feeder Placement Help [Re: donswin] #3481058 08/16/12 04:08 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
A couple of comments Don,
Edit your pictures to hide the lat/long coordinates and county road numbers so no one can pinpoint your lease location.
In the second pic the proposed blind and feeder location seem awful close to each other. Unless you are shooting from an elevated blind, I would not hunt there as there is no backstop for a missed shot. Put your blind on the edge of the tree line to the NW of the proposed location. Move the feeder to the backside of of that stock tank.
The feeder on the south side should not be hunted over as a bullet could potentially cross property lines

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Blind/Feeder Placement Help [Re: donswin] #3481092 08/16/12 04:15 PM
T
txhunter03 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
In the top picture I would leave the blind where it is because as it appers in the pic you can view both fields from that blind. That allows you more v
visibility in all directions.

In the bottom picture, I would move the blind away from the neighbors house to the southwest along the bottom tree line and maybe place the feeder alittle more to west of where its at to keep the neighbors from potentially spooking the deer.

These are just my opinions but it all depends on the deer patterns and trails

Re: Blind/Feeder Placement Help [Re: txhunter03] #3481295 08/16/12 05:27 PM
donswin Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thanks for the suggestions. I modified the pics to show mainly the lease area - thanks.

The proposed blind will be elevated, but I was concerned about the noise of the neighbors activity scaring the deer. But that has been a constant & they are probably used to it.

In the top picture, I can see both areas very well. Most of the game pics are after shooting hours. I do intend to supplement the feeder corn with a very early morning pass with a road feeder before going to the blind.

I'm going to walk the new area this weekend to get a better idea of game trails. I have a trailer converted to a blind & may sit in it a few mornings (when it gets a bit cooler) to get the feel of the various positions. I had hoped to get by with just a road feeder on that lease and corn the south road from the gate to the proposed blind. Do you think a feeder is a must?

Re: Blind/Feeder Placement Help [Re: donswin] #3483272 08/17/12 03:08 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Don, I think a feeder over your primary hunting area is a good idea just for the fact you won't disturb the deer corning the road,trail every time you go out. Less pressure the better. Now for hogs that would be a totally different story.....

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide