Print Thread
need help - electronic calling #3475988 08/15/12 02:15 AM
C
coonsaw Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
i must be doing something wrong....or maybe it is par for the course. been out a half dozen times now trying to call in some coyotes or anything else that might want to come in. i can hear coyotes all around me everytime but they never come in.

i ahve read some other posts asking tips but i would like to know a little more.

what volume? do you vary? high at first..then low, up down, always low?

space between calls? how much time?

do you mix up the coyote calls with the rabbit distress or do you stick with one?

i could see how this would be a lot of fun but so far it has not panned out.

thanks

coonsaw

Re: need help - electronic calling [Re: coonsaw] #3477004 08/15/12 01:58 PM
B
bbwatson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
It all depends the time of year... If you are just learning how to varmint hunt, I'd stick to rabbit, and woodpecker. The coyotes that you are hearing are probably aware you are there. It also depends if you are hunting a high pressure area that gets called often. You DON'T want to educate all the critters on your property. Your volume adjustment will depend on the wind. Are you day or night hunting?
Be aware if you don't know what you are doing when trying to howl, or vocalize with a coyote, you can educate them easily. Again vocalizing depends the time of year. Try to start with a simple closed reed mouth call. Haydel makes a good closed reed rabbit call. Try to find someone to hunt with to learn a few basics before you teach yourself and bad habits. Come out to west Texas when/if it cools off, I'll take you to bust a few varmints!! Good luck!!

Re: need help - electronic calling [Re: bbwatson] #3477247 08/15/12 03:15 PM
6mm284 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Like stated above there are a ton a variables to calling. If you are a beginner just start with distress calls, or put in a lot of time studying vocals before trying to use them. I always start out calling fairly low incase there is something close by I don't want to blow them out of the water. It sounds like you have or someone has already educated the coyotes in the area. The only coyote vocal I suggest you use with out too much studying is pup in distress . I use this pretty much yr round with good success. I works better in the late summer early fall while there are a lot of young pups running around. It's not as easy as it sounds. Play the wind, start out low, know your property, read as much info as you can.

"Like" us @ Cottontail Blues on Facebook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide