Print Thread
Off Leash training. #3455816 08/08/12 10:07 PM
Q
quackcommander Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Q
So i want to try to start some stuff off the leash, but im scared tuck will take off. I have let him off before and he will come when i tell him to, but he also gets a little distracted. Any tips or suggestions?

Trauma Kits - Medical Training - 2A Gear LSSTACTICAL.COM
Re: Off Leash training. [Re: quackcommander] #3456632 08/09/12 02:11 AM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I collar condition my dogs before taking them off lead.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: Off Leash training. [Re: kbobbjr] #3456747 08/09/12 02:35 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
How old is the dog? Are you just working on recall? How is he on the leash? How often to you have to punish the dog when you have the leash on? What kind of distractions have you worked him under with the leash on?

This getting "a little distracted" tells me he may not be ready, but a lot more info is needed as well as what you are trying to achieve.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Off Leash training. [Re: MS1454] #3459607 08/10/12 12:30 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
obedience training. they will run off if distracted. just make sure pup can't run into traffic.

he wiil come back to you if your in a big field. he will get bored and start to worry about you, especially if you start to walk away.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Off Leash training. [Re: Buzzsaw] #3460152 08/10/12 02:42 AM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Get his on lead obedience down before going off lead. This means, make sure he will heel, sit, sit/stay & recall. Build on the sit/stay and recall by going the length of the lead, then building to where you can drop it and back up a few feet, then a few feet more. When you can reliably walk a good 20 yards from pup and he will maintain a sit/stay until you recall, you can work off lead.

This drill is also meant to overcome his tendency to become distracted. He should be learning focus and patience... in EVERY aspect of his life. Maintain control at all times. For example, pup must sit/stay until released for his food bowl, to pass thru a door or a gate, to be leashed. If pup isn't practicing patience as a way of life, he will develop a life long habit of impatience and being distracted. Nip it in the bud and you will have a patient, focused and obedient dog.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Off Leash training. [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #3460290 08/10/12 03:22 AM
N
NTXDuckHunts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs
Get his on lead obedience down before going off lead. This means, make sure he will heel, sit, sit/stay & recall. Build on the sit/stay and recall by going the length of the lead, then building to where you can drop it and back up a few feet, then a few feet more. When you can reliably walk a good 20 yards from pup and he will maintain a sit/stay until you recall, you can work off lead.

This drill is also meant to overcome his tendency to become distracted. He should be learning focus and patience... in EVERY aspect of his life. Maintain control at all times. For example, pup must sit/stay until released for his food bowl, to pass thru a door or a gate, to be leashed. If pup isn't practicing patience as a way of life, he will develop a life long habit of impatience and being distracted. Nip it in the bud and you will have a patient, focused and obedient dog.

x2 If the pups not doing it perfect on leash they will never do it off..I never give a command off leash while the pups just out and about if I know they will not carry through..It' kinda easy to get a pup back to you if you have used que words while throwing bumpers and or toys while very young..That noise or que word should stop them in their tracks and be looking for something to retrieve from you while bolting back

North Texas Dog Trainers/North Texas Duck Hunts
Re: Off Leash training. [Re: NTXDuckHunts] #3460504 08/10/12 04:17 AM
Q
quackcommander Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Q
Thanks guys. I defiantly am not at that phase then. More on leash training is defiantly needed. he does very well at the dog park when i give him the come command. But with what you all have said i can see he is not ready

Trauma Kits - Medical Training - 2A Gear LSSTACTICAL.COM
Re: Off Leash training. [Re: NTXDuckHunts] #3462083 08/10/12 07:31 PM
IronSpikeLabs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: NTXDuckHunts
Originally Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

x2 If the pups not doing it perfect on leash they will never do it off..I never give a command off leash while the pups just out and about if I know they will not carry through..It' kinda easy to get a pup back to you if you have used que words while throwing bumpers and or toys while very young..That noise or que word should stop them in their tracks and be looking for something to retrieve from you while bolting back

BINGO. Que words/sounds conditioned in at a very young age will cause pup to respond without his even giving it a thought. It will just be a 'second-nature' (conditioned) response that can last a lifetime, if kept up.

IRON SPIKE RANCH & KENNELS
Started & Prospective Gun Dog Pups
http://www.youtube.com/ironspikeranch
http://ironspikeranch.net
Re: Off Leash training. [Re: IronSpikeLabs] #3462098 08/10/12 07:37 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Use a long check cord.

Re: Off Leash training. [Re: TexasEd] #3472830 08/14/12 03:32 AM
R
RC270 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
We mix a pinch, to a rope leash at the same time, pretty soon the dog doesn't need the pinch. We mix the rope with a healing stick then to the ecollar with rope and stick. When we're done, we can use any tool to keep the dog where he needs to be but find that after we're done, the dog usually knows his place and is happy to be there.

Good luck with your pup!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide