Print Thread
This rookie is hungry!! #345658 04/09/08 03:57 PM
T
Texecutioner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I finally got back out in the country over the weekend at my friend's place. We got some corn in those feeders finally, but it wasn't able to do the justice in one night.

Anyway, the last time my friends had been out there they had located a nice close area near a dried up creek where a lot of hogs looked like they had been. The ground was really dug up in a lot of places. The plan was to get up really early in the morning and GO!

All of my buds who CLAIM they were ready to start ripping it up, refused to wake up at 6AM and LACE UP. So, I said the hell with it, I may not be an expert, but I"M GOING ANYWAY! As i walked throught the brush to get to the spot, I didn't see anything at all, and I called for a while.

The next day, my buds PUNKED OUT again. So, I went again as well. I'll admit that both times i was a little scared being out there all by myself knowing that i could come across a huge boar or even a cougar or pack of Coyotes and be a little bit disadvantaged. However, I also enjoy the RUSH of the fear a bit, and that is what I have thoroughly enjoyed about my new interest in the sport. Anyway, I didn't really see anything both days, but I did hear something in the bushes that sounded large that was right above me and I thought it was a human walking up on me. I never saw what it was though.

I used a hog caller one morning, and the next morning I was using some squirrel in distress caller. I saw no action, but I WAS READY! Anyway, I seemed to have problems locating a good spot to sit and wait where I could see through nice distances. There was always some trees or bushes in the way here and there. Ifond a few spots that seemed pretty good, but one thing that I realized was that an animal might have came to the calling but busted me before i ever knew it was there.

Anyway, sorry if th post wasn't filled with any stories of an exciting KILL, but i am new to this and I was really disappointed at how my friends PUSSED out completely and I almost didn't go out at all. However, I am determined to get a KILL and I won't be denied. I went out alone, and probably made a ton of mistakes, but I can only do what I know and read and read and learn more and more. One thing I have to admit though, is that the walking didn't bother me, the waiting didn't bother me, and I really enjoyed hearing all of the sounds of the different animals in the morning. It was disappointing to go out SOLO and also not seeing anything, but I still thought it was GREAT! Any advice that anyone could give me, or criticisms would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get better and have success and I need all of the help that I can get.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: Texecutioner] #345659 04/09/08 04:03 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If it was hogs you were after, I would bait heavy and leave the calls at home. They don't work for hogs. Sour corn does though.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345660 04/09/08 04:11 PM
T
Texecutioner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I was after anything that came my way except for a deer of course. I really wanted a hog or a coyote, because the coyotes are constantly howling out there. We put some corn out there, but we didn't pour anything sour on the corn. Are you referring to sour milk? What is the best time to go out and find the hogs?

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: Texecutioner] #345661 04/09/08 04:20 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you are calling yotes you will want to be in more open areas b/c a yote will try to get downwind of you and in tight places you will get busted almost everytime. Cats(bobcats) don't smell so good so not to worry there.

Best time to shoot hogs this time of year over bait is in the evenings and at night. Souring corn is not when you put something sour on corn. It is when you sour it with liquid in a bucket with a tight lid. I generally use cheap beer to sour the corn. A little water added when the corn starts to absorb the beer. Leave the bucket out in the sun for several days/couple-few weeks and it will sour up real nice. Check your liquid level every couple days and add water so that the corn is completely submerged. AND a tight lid is key! Sour milk also works very well.

Good luck!

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345662 04/09/08 04:29 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have no expert advice to offer except to say that your only "mistake" would have been to sleep in like your buddies.

Sometimes it is hard when you're the only one willing to make the effort, but then when the reward comes-and it will- you'll know you made the right decision.

Stick with it and good luck.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345663 04/09/08 05:04 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I generally use cheap beer to sour the corn.

OK Jason! I have to call BS on that one. There's now way you'd waste " even cheap beer " on a hog.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: HWY_MAN] #345664 04/09/08 05:12 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Quote:

OK Jason! I have to call BS on that one. There's now way you'd waste " even cheap beer " on a hog.

LMAO! I have been known to do some stupid stuff and that is one of them.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345665 04/09/08 06:25 PM
T
taxidrmst_james Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: taxidrmst_james] #345666 04/09/08 06:27 PM
T
taxidrmst_james Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
JASON I HAVE TO AGREE WITH HYWAY MAN ,U USE BEER ,I CANT BELIEVE THAT MAYBE AFTER U DRINK IT LOL

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: taxidrmst_james] #345667 04/09/08 06:55 PM
R
rob243 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
drink the beer and then piss on the corn in the bucket kill two birds with one stone hahaha

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: Texecutioner] #345668 04/09/08 07:59 PM
T
Texecutioner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Well thanks for letting me know that you really can't call for pigs. I thought you could. I think that I'm also making a mistake of where I'm setting up. It is hard to figure out a good spot where I can see all around me, but where I'm not really exposed either. It always seems like i have to give up one to have the other. Any suggestions? Come veterans, help a hungry rookie out! After all, I did just have my first hunting trip and I went out all alone when I really felt it was pretty dangerous to do so, but I'm HUNGRY!!!

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: Texecutioner] #345669 04/09/08 08:05 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Kind of hard to tell someone where to set up w/o seeing the place. Find hog sign then see if you can find a trail leading to and from. Travel routes are a good place to hang out. You may just need to do a lot more scouting. You might be going at it a little blind but I think with a little time you can figure it out. Your friends should really help you instead of sleeping in.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345670 04/09/08 08:33 PM
fourtrax Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
1st of all Mr. Husker you have no room to say anything about sleeping in. And second aint nobody wastin beer on a hog! it's against every moral bone I have in my body!

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345671 04/09/08 08:38 PM
T
texasd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
the adventure it the hunt itself... the kill is the reward.. the harder the hunt the greater the reward.... just keep reading and doing and eventully u will be a pro....oh and i dont claim to be a pro but i sure like working at it.....

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345672 04/09/08 08:39 PM
T
TXBowhunter1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Quote:

Your friends should really help you instead of sleeping in.

LMAO......

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: fourtrax] #345673 04/09/08 08:40 PM
txcornhusker Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

1st of all Mr. Husker you have no room to say anything about sleeping in.

Hence the smiley! You know... Oh and I sleep in and still kill!

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: txcornhusker] #345674 04/09/08 08:42 PM
fourtrax Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yea I saw that Mr. get up at noon.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: fourtrax] #345675 04/10/08 12:07 AM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
I think instead of waking up at 6 am you should be going to bed at that time. Best time to get porky is dusk to dawn around here.

Scout during midday. Lay out some sour corn or corn with jello if you're eating them, diesel if it's crowd control. Calls aren't needed.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: Payne] #345676 04/10/08 12:42 AM
P
pyledriver Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
If you're on a dual mission for pigs and coyotes, concentrate hunting the coyotes first, and the pigs second. You have to move around when coyote hunting, so you can be on the lookout for pigs at the same time. Otherwise the only calls to worry with are predator calls. Keep getting up earlier than your buds and stay out later and you will connect! Maybe they can stay in camp and clean and cook for you while you kill stuff!

"Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it" -Mark Twain

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: pyledriver] #345677 04/13/08 04:54 PM
T
Texecutioner Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
I really appreaciate all of the advice guys! You guys are great in here and this is a really good sanctuary for people with these interests. I am new to this stuff and I love it! I really enjoy learning from many of you seasoned VETS! You guys are AWSWOME!!

Anyway, that brings me to the next question then. How do I hunt and move around affectively at night. I can't see! We have a spotlight but it is a cheap one that needs to be recharged all of the time. If I am moving around in the brsuh, I can't see anything unless I constantly have the flash light running which I DO NEED TO IN ORDER TO SEE. Won't I scare the animals that way?? I think night hunting seems pretty cool and DANGEROUS, but again I enjoy the thrill of the danger a BIT, but at the same time I want to be safe but also EFFICIENT in what I do. So should I move around a lot at night, or should I stay in one good spot for several hours at night? Keep bring on the good advice and discussion. Multiple opinions from you different guys around the state is always really good. Many of you seem to be very experienced in your own ways and have different stories and advice to bring to the table.

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: pyledriver] #345678 04/15/08 01:42 AM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Quote:

Maybe they can stay in camp and clean and cook for you while you kill stuff!

Ha ha thats funny. Tell those pansies that real hunters get up at 4 am to hunt hogs..and 2 am if your huntin' ducks (on public land anyways). Let em' sleep while you get the action. Ive found that the old saying "the early bird gets the worm" is true. Go git em!

Re: This rookie is hungry!! [Re: kdub] #345679 04/16/08 09:11 PM
O
onetime Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
keep at it just being out there is your reward killing something is a bonus

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide