Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Getting a bird dog... Which one? #3441010 08/03/12 11:28 PM
D
deuces Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
A couple of weeks ago, I asked the question, "Is hunting with a dog a necessity?" After seeing some of y'alls pictures and how much fun and good memories have been created with your dogs, I've decided that I'd like to get one.

Now, money's not an issue here, I just want a good dog with a good bloodline. That being said, what are some things I need to look for/be aware of when selecting my dog?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deuces] #3441034 08/03/12 11:42 PM
L
Littledog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
"Now, money's not an issue here" . . Now there's an opener!!!

Well . . Several good breeders / trainers out there. I'm sure you'll get alot of references from this crowd.

Questions you might want input on:
1. Like you said - What species?
2. Once you decide on a lab, what color is best? (this will be good)
3. Male or Female? (this will be even better)
4. To spay/neuter or not ? (just to finish stirring the pot!)

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Littledog] #3441048 08/03/12 11:51 PM
C
casey77 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Male or female that is what ever you prefer. Do your research on the blood line and the people selling the dog. Also are you wanting to get a dog that is already trained and ready to hunt this year. Or get a pup and send it to a trainer and hunt it later. My opinion you can save money by buying a dog that is already trained and ready to go hunting. You as a handler have to be trained to run the dog. Getting a puppy on the other hand sure is fun. You have to make sure you find a trainer that best fits what you are wanting and there are a few on here that are awesome at it. If I was you and money is not a option then I would buy a dog that has had all the training and have a blast this season. Just my .02cents

JUST HERE TO HAVE A GOOD TIME

Originally Posted By: East...
I dont understand people that dont duck hunt
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Littledog] #3441062 08/03/12 11:55 PM
D
deuces Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Littledog

Well . . Several good breeders / trainers out there. I'm sure you'll get alot of references from this crowd.

Good input...

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deuces] #3441178 08/04/12 12:44 AM
S
scubaarchery Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Once you figure out all those answers, then you have to figure out which pup from the litter do you want. There are several tests that you can do and a bunch of DVDs that will help you pick the dog that you want.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: scubaarchery] #3441239 08/04/12 01:14 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Lab
black
reputable breeder

Your welcome yingyang

R & B Outdoors
Mud Buddy motors/accessories
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Littledog] #3441276 08/04/12 01:34 AM
D
deckhand Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Littledog

popcorn

http://www.resole.com/ They can fix a pair of boots!
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deckhand] #3441292 08/04/12 01:42 AM
J
Jacob645 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
1. Heeler
2. Blue
3. Male
4. Leave em

Teach them to do whatever you want.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deuces] #3441355 08/04/12 02:16 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: deuces
A couple of weeks ago, I asked the question, "Is hunting with a dog a necessity?" After seeing some of y'alls pictures and how much fun and good memories have been created with your dogs, I've decided that I'd like to get one.

Now, money's not an issue here, I just want a good dog with a good bloodline. That being said, what are some things I need to look for/be aware of when selecting my dog?

Thanks in advance!

Wow, that is great. Here is what I would do, don't worry about getting a dog for this season, focus on next season. Take your time, research like you are doing, get right pup, figure out your training plan (DIY or Pro, or combination), next season you roll with your new bad arse dog.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Guy] #3441416 08/04/12 02:49 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I have a lab and this will be her 2nd full season. This is my first lab and she is head and shoulders above any other dog I have ever owned. She is spoiled rotten and is a part of the family not a tool I keep in a pin in the back yard (to each their own that just isn't my way). I tell you that because as good of a dog as she is I will seriously think hard about another one. The reason being is the shedding is AWFUL! Imagine hair everywhere and outside of vacuuming everyday or shaving her (which there is mixed reviews on) there is nothing that is going to stop it. There is hair in places she isn't even allowed to go or ever has been.

I'll look at another breed next time a little harder, almost bought a Boykin instead of her, but won't completely rule out a lab because as stated above they are the best dogs in the world...as far as I know of anyway. The difference is a lab wants to please you and we have two barker spaniels (momma's dogs) that are more concerned about what they want.

My 2 cents...worth exactly what you paid for it.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Guy] #3441432 08/04/12 02:55 AM
D
deuces Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Guy

Thanks in advance!

Wow, that is great. Here is what I would do, don't worry about getting a dog for this season, focus on next season. Take your time, research like you are doing, get right pup, figure out your training plan (DIY or Pro, or combination), next season you roll with your new bad arse dog.

To be honest, I know nothing about training a bird dog. I'm new to waterfowl hunting, so training a bird dog would kind of be like the blind leading the blind. I intended to have a professional train the dog, but I would like to be involved with it.

I was thinking of getting a lab, but I like CurlyBillTucker's dog. I don't know what it is. It's a fine looking dog. His dog is in this thread:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...l_P#Post3439647

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deuces] #3441736 08/04/12 06:05 AM
D
duckboogieman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
The best advise I could give any first time owner would be to eliminate the guess work (regardless of breed) and find a started or even finished dog that fits you and your faimly's needs best. Don't take this the wrong way but the odds of finding the right breeder, picking the right pup, picking the right trainer, etc are not in your favor. So why take the risk if for almost the same money you can see the finished or at least semi-finished product? It was a no brainer for me.

And since "money is not an issue" you have plenty of options. For example below is an add for a black male lab for sale who is a step brother to my dog. Very little on the job training required. Should make a decent prospect and allow you to get your feet.

Huckleberry Fen (Huck) out of FC-AFC Fen Wizzard x FC-AFC Hurricane breeze
DOB: 4/27/2008. 3 Derby points / 3.5 Amatuer points..... 2012 (10 trials) Open: Reserve Jam, Jam. Amatuer: 2nd, 4th, Jam. 2011 (10 trials) Qual: (2) 1st place. Amatuer: Jam. Open: Reserve Jam, went to 4th series in Open at 5 trials in a row...... Good Marker, Excellent in water. Huck has been professionally trained since 6 months of age. Hips: good, Elbows: normal, Eyes: normal. $35,000.

Send me a PM if you would like the contact info for the seller.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: duckboogieman] #3441745 08/04/12 06:37 AM
M
Mr Lebowski Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I own a lab and he is great but collecting retirement now. As above, they shed all over the place!

Here is a good piece of advice I got a long time ago. Go hunting with different people that have different breeds. This will allow you to see how the dog works and what it takes. You might even meet some nice folks along the way.

Don't forget, they are like kids and have needs and wants in the blind and on the trip. Crate,water,food,toys and attention. Plus even if the dog can run off leash you still have to worry about them in the dark. They are fun to have with you but they are a lot of work and since you are new to hunting waterfowl you might want to take a season or two just getting used to doing the sport. A lot of guys will let you hunt over their dogs as it gives them work. You had better be a good slayer or that dog is going to get angry with you.

I will always have a lab. You can not beat the temperament of the lab. As for a working fowler thou, I am going to also get a Chesapeake. That is a breed you can not beat for the work ethic.

Slayer of winged birds, sniper of four legged animals, Warrior of God!

Thank you Lord for providing us in the spiritual and physical aspects of our lives. You have given plenty of game for us to feed our families and pass on the heritage. God Bless Texas
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: duckboogieman] #3441832 08/04/12 11:53 AM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Originally Posted By: duckboogieman
$35,000.

"money is no object" still in play? roflmao

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3441894 08/04/12 01:06 PM
J
jeepthing Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
$35,000.

Wow, no joke!! I think I'll keep wading out in the water myself for that much money.

Jay "Jeepthing" Bush
Registered Architect
Bush Architects, LLC
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: jeepthing] #3441964 08/04/12 01:50 PM
L
Littledog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I think the $35K price tag would definitly answer the "spay/neuter" question ! At that price he would get to be one happy boy.

What should Deusces look for in terms of health and body shape and bloodline?
Thinking things like hip displasia (sp), head shape, etc.

For a dog that's gone through basic training . . not a medalist yet but has the fundamentals down . . how old will it be and what price range assuming it's not got alot of blue blood ?

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Littledog] #3442079 08/04/12 02:42 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Labs are great, but take a hard look at your house and yard, if it's on the small side a Boykin might work better. I would try to go out with people when they're training to get a feel for the breeds. I would at a minium look at Labs and Boykins because they have such different pesonalities. They are going to be a member of the family so you have to get the best fit for you.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: nsmike] #3442102 08/04/12 02:52 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
am I reading this right that you haven't actually hunted yet?

wait a little while on the dog

#sigline
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deuces] #3442158 08/04/12 03:26 PM
C
CurlyBillTucker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

I was thinking of getting a lab, but I like CurlyBillTucker's dog. I don't know what it is. It's a fine looking dog. His dog is in this thread:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...l_P#Post3439647

Like others have posted, try and hunt with or at least visit with the different breeds. Tucker's a Boykin Spaniel from a breeder in OK. If I get another one it will be from Just Ducky Kennels http://www.boykinspaniel.com/

Be sure you can take a joke! When you pull up to the boat ramp and out jumps a small poodle looking dog, you catch hell from lab owners and their labs!

His drive is just as strong as any lab just in a much smaller package

I have never trained a dog before and wish I could afford a pro trainer. His only two faults are me being his trainer and he is a sticker/burr magnet. He crashed through a cockle burr bush and emptied it. Took over an hour to pull them all out.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: jeepthing] #3442430 08/04/12 05:35 PM
D
deuces Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: jeepthing
$35,000.

Wow, no joke!! I think I'll keep wading out in the water myself for that much money.

Ok... At that price... Money is an object. I've seen dogs sell for around 6 or $7k, but not $35k.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: #Hayraker] #3442461 08/04/12 05:47 PM
D
deuces Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Hayraker
am I reading this right that you haven't actually hunted yet?

wait a little while on the dog

That's exactly right, Hayraker. I have never been able to duck hunt... Ever. I just got out of the military recently after serving 10 years and never got the opportunity to go when I was serving. I was overseas when both of my kids were born and out of those 10 years serving, I spent at least 6 overseas.

When I was a kid, my family hunted deer and hog, but never dove, duck, or any other bird. My son has always been interested in it, but every time we wanted to go, I had to deploy or was in training. Now that I'm out of the service, I have the time to take him.

So, again... Yes. I haven't actually hunted yet. This is my first season duck hunting.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deuces] #3442495 08/04/12 06:07 PM
E
ElmoSnerd Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Gee, for $35,000 I will sleep on your floor and fetch your ducks!!

My vote: Yellow lab male and get him fixed, already trained-get yourself trained as well
Pick a one on the small side, mine is a great dog but at 105 lbs. takes up alot of room in the house, truck and blind. Just make sure it can jump in the bed of your truck.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: ElmoSnerd] #3442567 08/04/12 06:37 PM
H
Homey da Clown Offline
CTJ
CTJ
H
Deuce, first of all, thanks for your service for our country cheers

Second, call me this season if you want to get your boy afield. My favorite clients are fathers and their son(s). Your hunt is on the house yingyang

R & B Outdoors
Gator Trax boats
(512) 826-6200
www.rboutdoors.com
Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: Homey da Clown] #3442612 08/04/12 06:56 PM
D
deuces Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Deuce, first of all, thanks for your service for our country cheers

Second, call me this season if you want to get your boy afield. My favorite clients are fathers and their son(s). Your hunt is on the house yingyang

That's a very generous offer. I really appreciate it. I'm up here north of Dallas and have been talking to WhiskeyandMe about hunting up there on his property (Kent Outdoors). Though, it would be nice to head down your way and see good 'ol Ft. Hood again. I'll give you a shout.

Re: Getting a bird dog... Which one? [Re: deuces] #3442626 08/04/12 07:04 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I didn't mean any offense, I just meant learning duckhunting and dog handling in the same year might be a little much.

#sigline
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide