Print Thread
Predator Calling #338354 03/20/08 05:38 PM
S
Sr_Egor Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
I picked up a Sure Shot Predator (rabbit distress) call.
Went with sure shot because I love my SS Yentzen, plus I could not find a fox pup distress of woodpecker at Academy.
Got to the ranch on friday, sucked up about 357 wasps in the shop vac then headed down to the creek bottom. About 17 seconds after belting out a few squelps two buzzards flew over the hill top and circled. Probably just coincidence, but i thought it was funny. I am happy to announce that there are no predators in S. Edwards County.
I'm sure there were a few bobcats around the way snickering at me. Seriously though, how often do you call, how long do you wait between calls, are scents necessary, do decoys help that much, what else??? I want to be the pied piper of predator calling

Re: Predator Calling [Re: Sr_Egor] #338355 03/20/08 11:06 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Its different everyday. last time out they would not answer my $530 electronic call but only a mouth call; other times its the other way around. You also can be busted and not even know it. My easiest suggestion is to watch a couple Texas made predator videos. I think decoys work in the day time. keep trying, we called in about 10 animals out of 35 trys and hardly anything at night mostly day, this year sucks.

Re: Predator Calling [Re: Brother in-law] #338356 03/21/08 02:58 AM
S
Sr_Egor Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
thanks for the info Bro.
I'm not giving up yet, I just wish I would have gotten into this 6-7 years ago. Most of my life I've been a dove/deer hunter and could not wait to hit the saltwater. Predators and varmints open up a whole new hunting world.

Re: Predator Calling [Re: Sr_Egor] #338357 03/21/08 07:15 AM
C
ChickenWilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Yeah its def. a blast but you have to give it time and you will get something to come in and once you do there is no turning back! Good luck!

Re: Predator Calling [Re: ChickenWilly] #338358 03/22/08 06:04 AM
P
PIG_STICKER Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Yeah its different I like to use a feather or my mojo critter

If u can see IT!!! U can HIT IT!!!!!
Re: Predator Calling [Re: Sr_Egor] #338359 03/24/08 04:28 PM
T
Texecutioner Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Quote:

I picked up a Sure Shot Predator (rabbit distress) call.
Went with sure shot because I love my SS Yentzen, plus I could not find a fox pup distress of woodpecker at Academy.
Got to the ranch on friday, sucked up about 357 wasps in the shop vac then headed down to the creek bottom. About 17 seconds after belting out a few squelps two buzzards flew over the hill top and circled. Probably just coincidence, but i thought it was funny. I am happy to announce that there are no predators in S. Edwards County.
I'm sure there were a few bobcats around the way snickering at me. Seriously though, how often do you call, how long do you wait between calls, are scents necessary, do decoys help that much, what else??? I want to be the pied piper of predator calling

I am new to this stuff myself. I was near a creek bottom a few weeks back. I told me buddy that we were way over exposed. He wouldn't listen. So, like a dummy I called anyway. Within about ten minutes of using a deer in distress caller and also a hog caller, I noticed a bulkish dark looking head that popped up on the other side of the creek. If I hadn't been looking in the exact direction I was, I wouldn't have seen it. Right as I was focusing in on what it might be, it disappeared. It saw where we were and we were busted.

I was happy with the progress that we called something in though. We screwed it up by our position, but we did indeed get something out there and it was a lesson none the less. Keep trying with it. If I was able to call something in, then anyone can.

Re: Predator Calling [Re: Texecutioner] #338360 03/24/08 05:28 PM
T
txvarminter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
After over ten years of calling I am more convinced than ever that we all call more than we ever see. I called in a bobcat last year that came in sat down and watched the caller for over 20 min. If I hadn't seen him move in I would never have known he was there. I can't even count the number of times I've been busted in the thick stuff by a yote heading down wind before I got a good look at him and then he's gone.

All I'm saying is keep trying cover up and watch the down wind side. They are there sometimes even when we don't have a clue. Good Luck and keep tryin

www.circle66.com
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
My opinion is go with the fatties!
Re: Predator Calling [Re: txvarminter] #338361 03/25/08 03:47 PM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
I too would like to know how many times I have been busted-and never even saw the animal. I bet it happens more frequently than we want to admit.

Some things I have learned about calling coyotes (and for the record I am just a NOOB).
#1. Regardless of where you think they are going to come in from, they will always approach you from BEHIND! It does not matter which way you face. Even if you set up on a river bank with the water behind you-they will be on the other side of the water and will see you b4 you see them.
#2. If you are in a position that you can see them coming-you are already busted as they WILL see you first and you won't see them.
#3. Don't set up on a trail. Always set up away from a trail but with a view of your shooting lane from your concealment. Always set up in a position that you can swing almost a full 360 degrees without hitting any obstructions, and being able to remain behind cover. Again-they will always come from the opposite of where you think they are going to come from and you have to be able to move to give yourself a shot, without giving yourself away.
#4. Approach your positing from down wind. Don't take more than 1-2 minutes to get perfectly still once you get into your position.
#5. Focus on cover & concealment. Use natural objects to hide yourself. Coyotes are smart and can often notice when a pop up blind has been set up, or things have been moved to make a natural blind.
#6. Don't call too often. I space out my calls as little as 5 minutes, up to 15 minutes apart. Often times they will come in to the area, will sense something is wrong, and wait to hear something. If you are moving between calls-this is when they will hear you, or see you. It's when you are NOT calling that they will be moving. When you are calling, if they are within 200 yards, they will stop to pinpoint the exact location. If they are FURTHER out, they will keep running towards you as they are honing in on the sound.
#7 Utilize a decoy whenever possible-it gives 'em something to focus on, and they won't be looking to see where you are at.
#8 Say a prayer if you want-you will need it.

These are just a few of the things I have figured out from reading up on the internet on hunting them, and from personal experience. Use what you want or need, discard the rest.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Predator Calling [Re: Kawabuggy] #338362 03/26/08 02:36 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I use decoys in the day,
Nothing at night. Best call I have found is actually a cow elk call, I have to look and see the make.

The first 1o minutes I start with a 2 series of about 3 minutes of soft calling and then get louder. I always try to stay at a stand for at least 30 minutes just b/c bobcats useally come in slower then any thing else. I usually call for 3 minutes and rest. If coons are coming in I call longer and more excited sessions, thay make great decoys and if a yote sees them the yotes commit a lot faster

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Predator Calling [Re: BOBO the Clown] #338363 03/26/08 08:15 PM
T
txvarminter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
The problem I have found with a pause in the calling is it gives yotes time to think and once they take time to think you're DONE. They are predators they live and die by their nose, eyes, and ears. If you want to kill them you are going to have to beat them at their own game. You either have to make them forget about at least one of their senses or you have to position yourself to take advantage of their senses. If at all possible put the sun at your back and the wind blowing into your shooting lane If you stop calling they are going to start circling to the wind to make sure what they thought they heard is what they thought it was. So your shot had better be down wind. If you keep calling and provide them a decoy to look at then their eyes confirm what their ears heard and they will usually forget about the wind. Their ears can locate you from the other side of a hill so if when they top the hill they are looking at the sun they can't tell what's over there so they will have to circle to the wind right into your shot if you have set up right.
The key to killing a yote is to use it's senses to your advantage. When I first started calling I didn't understand how they could bust me as much as they did. As I've gained more experience I have learned to use their senses against them and the number of times I get busted has declined a bunch.
I'm not saying I kill them all but I dang sure have more opportunities to get it done.

www.circle66.com
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
My opinion is go with the fatties!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide