Print Thread
Fork #33707 10/06/05 02:41 AM
T
TexTransplant Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Just moved to the DFW area not to long ago from La. and was wondering about the Duck Hunting out here. In particular, on Fork. We have a camp out there. In Feb, when I was doing some bass fishing, seemed like every cove I went in had a group of greenies or gads rafted up back there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Fork [Re: TexTransplant] #33708 10/06/05 03:33 AM
E
ehud Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
all depends on the spot andneeds to be early in the year. It gets over hunted

Re: Fork [Re: TexTransplant] #33709 10/06/05 08:29 AM
forthebirds Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
its a very public place but does offer some good hunting, your location says rowlett if so then you have a few other lakes that can offer some good hunting not to far away, get a APH to start and that will open up a few spots, you have lavon right next to you so check it out, all this is based on if you have a boat, but there are some walk in places close to your house to.

The purpose of a warrior is not to reason with the enemy but to kill him.
Re: Fork [Re: forthebirds] #33710 10/06/05 09:02 PM
T
TexTransplant Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Yes I do have a boat with a pop-up blind but I've heard horror stories about Lavon. What is an APH. And by walk-in you mean just walk up to the edge of one of the area lakes. I've only hunted out of my boat 1 year. Ever since I've been hunting its been in blinds down in the marshes of La. Not all that schooled on "open lake" hunting. In La. the law on open water hunting is that you have to be approx 500yds away from another hunter, although it's not always obeyed, whats the law in Texas?

Re: Fork [Re: TexTransplant] #33711 10/06/05 09:03 PM
R
red48man Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
I have a place in duck call cove. There are some good places to hunt if you can keep fisherman away. Some don't know what decoys are or don't care.

Re: Fork [Re: red48man] #33712 10/06/05 09:15 PM
T
TexTransplant Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Quote:

I have a place in duck call cove. There are some good places to hunt if you can keep fisherman away. Some don't know what decoys are or don't care.

Our place is right under the 515 bridge on the west side, campgroung called "Bridgeview". Do you ever duck hunt out there? Duck Call cove is one of my favorite fishing coves. Is the hunting on fork on a first come first serve basis as far as the spots or do they allow you to leave your dekes out overnight?

Re: Fork [Re: TexTransplant] #33713 10/06/05 09:39 PM
B
birddog14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
if you leave your dekes out overnight on public lakes that don't allow permit blinds or assigned areas you risk showing up and your dekes being ----- gone, thrown up in in a tree by the decoy line and weight and tangled up in a tree by grabbing the decoy by the weight and slinging , all the decoy lines being cut, all the decoy lines being tied together making a little deke flotilla, dekes spray painted safety orange, moved, you show up and someone is already set up there and is going to hunt over your dekes, or many other things

Last edited by birddog14; 10/06/05 09:46 PM.

green is good
Re: Fork [Re: TexTransplant] #33714 10/06/05 10:16 PM
R
red48man Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
Tex my place is the pier with the white water slide on it, next to the private boat ramp. i normaly dont go to far from the house. See green heads, blue bills, woodies, widgens and canvas backs.

Re: Fork [Re: red48man] #33715 10/06/05 11:25 PM
T
TexasHeat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Tex Trans..... N. Texas aint like the marsh in LA!! I am sure you have your share a Barney Knot Heads but we have them 10 fold on area lakes in this part of the state. Now if you was to go down to the Texas Coast, that might be more like home. Guys build blinds on the bays but it is still PUBLIC so early bird gets the worm, truth is if you build a blind and find someone setup and calling it there’s for the morning happens but a little talk and kind words will fix the problem most times. On public lakes MOST have big NO NO on hunters building blinds. You ask about Lake Fork.... here is my suggestion...... Scout the lake and find them ducks, pressure can be the death blow so TRY to go out of your way to find spots Barney will not want to hunt, by that I mean hard to hunt areas, spots that some will never find (unless they hear you shooting) spots that are out of the way and they will look for an easier place to go. I have seen more duck hunters in the past 10 years than I did with my Pop's in the 70's when he was still dump enough to hunt ducks, hehehe. You ask about what is "legal" when it comes to how close you can hunt to another party... I am not 100% sure but 200 yards sounds right but still IMHO is to close, 250 is more better. Hunting public for ducks is allot of fun but a few bad run in's with Barney and crew can turn you sour on the whole deal.

Re: Fork [Re: birddog14] #33716 10/07/05 12:38 AM
T
TexTransplant Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Quote:

if you leave your dekes out overnight on public lakes that don't allow permit blinds or assigned areas you risk showing up and your dekes being ----- gone, thrown up in in a tree by the decoy line and weight and tangled up in a tree by grabbing the decoy by the weight and slinging , all the decoy lines being cut, all the decoy lines being tied together making a little deke flotilla, dekes spray painted safety orange, moved, you show up and someone is already set up there and is going to hunt over your dekes, or many other things

Dang birddog,, sounds like you've either been the recipient or the participant of such acts LOL. The only reason I ask is over in La, on most lakes, you are allowed to build permanant or floating blinds with a lock and chain on the entry door. Being as though I've never seen a blind on Fork, I assumed that they weren't allowed, but I wasn't sure about floaters. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Re: Fork [Re: red48man] #33717 10/07/05 01:26 AM
T
TexTransplant Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Quote:

Tex my place is the pier with the white water slide on it, next to the private boat ramp. i normaly dont go to far from the house. See green heads, blue bills, woodies, widgens and canvas backs.

red,, I know that peir well!! Maybe we'll bump into each other one day, and hopefully its not one of those early morning conversations about me being in one of your spots LOL!! I'll probably use this year to try and learn few spots and maybe knock a few down while trying not to step on any toes. If you ever find that you'll be hunting alone one morning, hollar at me and maybe we'll get a hunt in together.

Re: Fork [Re: TexTransplant] #33718 10/07/05 01:54 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I am not very familiar with Fork but I looked around a little bit on the way from Canton to Tawakoni the other day and sure saw alot of ducks. Unfortunately the couple of places that I checked out were very low and I don't know if I could retrieve the ducks via wading, boat or dog.

Re: Fork [Re: ndhunter] #33719 10/07/05 06:53 AM
B
biz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
you can use any blind that is already there but you cant fix or make imp.thats on gov.lakes,the rest im not shure,on bob sandlin its first come first serve there are some blinds there but have never hunted them..

PULL the TRIGGER, SHOOT to KILL!!!
Re: Fork [Re: ndhunter] #33720 10/07/05 01:23 PM
B
Buzz Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Tx Trans...I live on the east side of east fork @ coke. I've been on fork a few times and never seem to be in the right place. There are blinds on fork and they are first come first serve. I would highly recommend not leaving your dekes out over night on any public lake. If interested, drop me a line, and maybe we could get in a hunt or two.

Re: Fork [Re: Buzz] #33721 10/07/05 04:00 PM
B
BuckBassNDuck Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I live near Lake Fork and I have hunted fork a few times in the past few years with VERY LITTLE success. On all but a couple of my trips, I have zeroed and wished I would have stayed in bed or gone somewhere else. The only reason I have continued to hunt there is because it is close to home and gives me the ability to have a quick hunt. Unless you are after coots, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! I actually have come to spend the majority of my season driving to the metro area to hunt those lakes like Lavon, Lewisville, and Richland Chambers. You guys have it good over there, if you can find time to go during the week.

Fork may be alright for the bass fishing, but that's it! Kinda sad.

Re: Fork [Re: Buzz] #33722 10/07/05 04:05 PM
T
TexTransplant Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Buzz,, I'd love to get in a few hunts with you,, or anyone else for that matter. My email is zwatts7@hotmail.com. I would've shot you an email but I couldn't figure out how. I'm the kinda guy that if I happen to find a spot where some ducks are coming in and offering a few shots I'll share the info to the board, hell, for that matter, I would meet some of ya'll and show you. I'm 32yrs old and my only local hunting buddies are my 7yr old son and "Taz the duck dog" as my 4yr old puts it, so I imagine I'll be hunting by myself for the most part. And that gets kinda old after a while. Hope to see ya'll knockin'em' down!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide