Print Thread
Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting #330889 03/10/08 01:01 PM
S
Smiling Mallard Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I see there are tons of posts about lion sightings and such but this one was in the Rockwall Hearld Banner the other day. It sounds legit. I've posted the entire article which is pretty long.

Look for Outdoor Adventures to run some guided lion hunts on the shores of Lake Ray Hubbard soon. LOL.

Published: February 27, 2008 05:11 pm

Mountain lion reported in Rockwall

By David Wilfong

Herald-Banner Staff

At 3 a.m. on Tuesday morning Ron Gilleland went out the back door of his porch and found quite a surprise waiting in store for him.

“My dogs woke me up and when I got out into the back yard with a spotlight I keep at the back door there was a mountain lion — no, not a bobcat — holding my Boston (Terrier) in his mouth and about to leap the fence with her,” Gilleland recounted. “I yelled and started running towards the cat and it released my dog and jumped over the fence as easily as you would step up a curb.”

Gilleland lives in the heart of residential Rockwall. Just down the hill from the Ridge Road Shopping Center, so the incursion of a mountain lion into his back yard would mean that the animal was literally “walking the streets.”

In communication with his neighbors, Gilleland described the injuries to his dog.

“My dog is in surgery this morning trying to fix all the damage in her head, face and neck,” he stated. “The puncture wounds on the back of her head are more than three inches apart indicating that the fangs on the cat make it a big cat.”

On Wednesday evening Gilleland said that his dog had been through surgery and the outlook was optimistic that the dog would live.

There have been numerous unconfirmed reports of mountain lion sightings in Collin County. The most recent in the news have been along the border of Allen and Lucas, though other sightings have come from heavy residential areas in Plano. Some speculate that the sightings are misidentified accounts of bobcats, which are relatively common to the area.

Gillelands wife, Lee, is quick to point out that her husband is a qualified observer.

“We grew up in West Texas,” she commented. “He’s been hunting his whole life.”

Ron said he’s used to people saying they’ve seen a mountain lion when what they really saw was a bobcat, but that he was only thirty feet away from it with a bright spotlight, so he knows what he saw.

“When it turned and looked at me, it wasn’t even afraid of me,” he said. “Then it just jumped over the chain link fence like it was nothing at all. It really was quite beautiful to see.”

Gilleland also noted that the cat he saw had a tail that was about three feet long. Bobcats have a small, stubbed tail from which it derives its name.

After notifying neighbors of their experience, the Gillelands say they were made aware of missing dogs in the neighborhood.

Kathy Ingram, who lives nearby, stated that her dog had recently disappeared.

“My husband let our 13 year old Boston Terrier out in the evening of Nov. 19,” Ingram recalled. “He said he heard her barking, but since we'd been here nine years and let her out at night, he didn't pay any attention. I went out to bring her in and she was gone. The gates of our 6' iron fence were not open.

“A few weeks earlier, my husband & I saw a coyote trotting down the shoreline heading towards 30. It wasn't quite dark out, so we could clearly see that it was not a dog. The coyote did not look around - it was focused and moved quickly. So when Shasta disappeared, we assumed it was the coyote.

“The mountain lion makes much more sense because it was hard to imagine a coyote jumping the fence so easily, although we were told that they could.

“We live diagonally across from the Gillelands on the shore side of the street. I had heard about the Mountain Lion sightings, but I thought it was over in Plano.”

Ingram also stated that there were other animals that had gone missing in the neighborhood during recent months.

“About mid-December, we saw a sign at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Summit Ridge - ‘Lost Daschound.’ We noticed it because we thought of the coyote,” Ingam said.

“A few days later, a lady called from further down Lakeshore Dr. - closer to Summit Ridge, saying that her husband had been walking their dog down the shoreline and had found our Shasta's collar. It had been ripped apart. I told her what I thought had happened and she said her neighbors had lost their daschound. I told her we had seen the signs. They had two dogs that went out the doggy door at night and only one came back.”

Chris Valentine with the Rockwall Animal Services department confirmed that they took a report on the incident, but that the issue will have to be handled by Texas Parks and Wildlife.

“We don’t have the equipment to handle anything that big,” she stated.

Valentine said that her department has fielded two ro three calls for mountain lions over the past 10 years, but that no one has ever been able to capture or photograph one to substantiate the reports.

According to Jenny Simpson with the Texas Parks and Wildlife department, mountain lions are not that uncommon for the area.

“My boss has seen them down south on the Rockwall-Kaufman line,” she said.”I’ve had reports of them in the northern part of the county, but nobody’s ever been able to substantiate them.

“As more and more houses are being built out in the county they are being forced out of their natural habitat. You’re going to see more bobcats, more coyotes and more mountain lions.”

Simpson said that both bobcats and mountain lions are known to follow creek beds and railroad tracks, and that if it was a mountain lion that the Gillelands encountered it was probably just “passing through.”

Simpson stated that as a precautionary measure, residents should probably keep their pets indoors at night. A person who personally encounters a mountain lion should remember that the cats are more scared of humans than the other way around.

“I would probably just try to make some noise and spook them,” she said.

Simpson stated that anyone encountering a mountain lion in the City of Rockwall should contact the Texas Department of Wildlife at 972-226-9966.

"Call 'em up close and shoot 'em in the face"
Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Smiling Mallard] #330890 03/10/08 01:12 PM
S
Sethfish Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I believe all of our talk has angered the lion community, watch out crazy horse they are all heading to Azle to give you a Forizzle Sizzle Wizzle Fizzle Tiselle Bisille Black Panther Pop Quizille

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Sethfish] #330891 03/10/08 03:10 PM
M
MaggieMTx Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
well regardless if u look at it...small lap dogs or small rabbits & wild game...no diffrent to the animal(supposed big cat), just easier to catch, they arent stupid & adapt well

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Smiling Mallard] #330892 03/10/08 08:57 PM
B
BigDadInc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Mallard, I'm glad you posted this. I, too, live in the area-- Fate, in fact. And back last summer (I'd say around August/ September) a buddy and I went to the beer store on Interstate 30. On the way back to the house, we were traveling down the service road heading east and I would've SWORE I saw a damn mountain lion! In fact, I hollered at my buddy to stop the truck and back up. But when I told him why, he told me to drink another beer and shut up. After thinking about it a second, I agreed. So I pulled the tab and slammed another. But this was near dark and ironically enough, it was right near where the train tracks come down through the open pastures on the north side of the highway. Unbelievable! I now believe what I saw was this "mountain lion"-- no doubt. I'm sending this link to my buddy right now! I"m sure he'll just tell me to drink another one... sounds like a helluva idea.

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: BigDadInc] #330893 03/11/08 01:10 AM
M
mjames-76 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
“I would probably just try to make some noise and spook them,” she said

Me too BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: BigDadInc] #330894 03/11/08 11:14 AM
S
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Beware the "Chilly Mart Mountain Lion"!!!

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Smiling Mallard] #330895 03/11/08 11:45 AM
M
mjames-76 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I dont know about mountain lions but if you go out to Southern Junction you may see several Cougars

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: mjames-76] #330896 03/11/08 11:52 AM
S
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Quote:

I dont know about mountain lions but if you go out to Southern Junction you may see several Cougars

True That!

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Smiling Mallard] #330897 03/11/08 06:23 PM
B
BigDadInc Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Quote:

Dude, I caught all kinds of Hell about that from the guy that was with me. I'll stick by what I saw, but I was a little slack-eyed 'n silly.

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Smiling Mallard] #330898 03/11/08 06:46 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Quote:

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Big Daddy K] #330899 03/11/08 07:09 PM
T
TX_Hoghunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
At Southern Junction I always thought you would be hunting beaver......not lions.....

-john

Time to catch a hog.......... A friend of Ken's
Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: TX_Hoghunter] #330900 03/11/08 07:21 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Now I have a new reason to go to Fate when I am over that way....John, How far are you from Chilly Mart???? Will I be safe getting that stove?

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #330901 03/11/08 07:35 PM
T
TX_Hoghunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Don't worry Vernon....the cats are scared to come to Caddo Mills......

-john

Time to catch a hog.......... A friend of Ken's
Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: TX_Hoghunter] #330902 03/11/08 07:57 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I went to Southern Junction once. Didn't stay too long. If I had caught a beaver, it would have been a low grade pelt at best. Pretty rough.

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: jrs_39] #330903 03/12/08 02:27 AM
J
JBCooper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
you must've gone when only the house band was playing...otherwise you'd have gone many times.

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: BigDadInc] #330904 03/17/08 01:24 AM
T
TexasBestOutdoors Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Saw the "Chilly Mart Mountain Lion" today! And I was actually chased by some of those other "Southern Junction Cougars" from Sat. night!!!!

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: TexasBestOutdoors] #330905 03/17/08 01:31 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Maybe he was at chilly mart before he saw the lion?

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: BMD] #330906 03/20/08 01:51 AM
R
rtapp Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Have any of you ever drove out towards Terrell, turned off 205 and driven the back roads? There are areas out there that look just like west Texas or the Hill Country. I have no doubt they're out there. I have a buddy that lives in High Point Ranch, and has seen everything but a lion. What would you do if you were ran out of your home? Truth is they're here. Domestic animals make easy targets for fast food.

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: rtapp] #330907 03/21/08 12:51 PM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I wonder why they didn't inclue that Mr Gilleland stated that the color of the cat was definatly BLACK!!

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Redneck Messiah] #330908 03/21/08 02:04 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
If by chance I happen to kill one what do I get???

It ain't easy being me.

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Big Daddy K] #330909 03/22/08 04:11 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
A free beaver/cougar combo hunt at southern junction with free mounting

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: Brother in-law] #330910 03/23/08 03:54 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Quote:

A free beaver/cougar combo hunt at southern junction with free mounting

Mounting is never, ever free. "Taxidermy" prices are skyrocketing too.

Re: Rockwall Mountain Lion Sighting [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #330911 03/29/08 01:44 AM
T
TexasBestOutdoors Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I don't think he means Taxidermy! Cougar mounting is great!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide