Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Question about mold and protein... #3298135 06/16/12 09:02 AM
209HUNTER Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
My dad has a protein feeder going in Montague Co and he is feeding Record Rack Professional protein pellets. He doesnt have a huge deer density, but it is decent. He has had this proteing feeded going for close to a year, and he has been having problems with mold forming on the north side of his feeder barrel. He is using a double feeder with 55gal metal protein and corn barrels. The protein is the only one molding. He has been told that the metal barrels will cause the protein to mold if they are not vented in some way. He has since put a vent on his barrel lid, but is continuing to have mold in his protein, and it is causing the feeder to clog up inside of the barrel. Has anyone had this problem before? My hunting partners and I have the same exact feeder set up and we are not having these problems. He has been buying his protein from a distributor in Denison, TX. Could he be getting protein that is already a little bit moldy, and putting it into his feeder, which is causing the rest of the protein to mildew? What do yall suggest?

The devil made me do it the first time, the second time I did it on my own
Re: Question about mold and protein... [Re: 209HUNTER] #3299555 06/17/12 03:29 AM
H
hunting270 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
H
Had the same problem down south when we got a lot of blowing rain and extreme heat afterwards. Seemed like the bigger the feeder the bigger the problem. Never got the problem totally solved.

Re: Question about mold and protein... [Re: hunting270] #3300224 06/17/12 04:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Combination of many factors. Pelletized feeds are made with some moisture in them. Tightly sealed protein feeders are bad. The humidity in South Texas adds to the mix. Heat is bad also. Once a feeder clogs or feeds very slowly it will start to make it's own moisture that collects as water droplets on the inside of the lid of your feeder. The more heat the more moisture is made. Once the feeder clogs it is going to keep making moisture everyday. If you get brown bugs in they can also make the feed do the same thing. If you use big capacity feeders only put enough feed in them to last about a month. The top layer of feed in your feeder needs to move downward some everyday. If you only feed 300# in a month put that much in it or a little more than that. Rain will cause feed tubes or feed ports to clog when this happens your feed is not moving. If you can vent your lid by raising or making it fit looser it will help.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Question about mold and protein... [Re: stxranchman] #3300424 06/17/12 06:33 PM
W
WCI Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I would experiment with a slightly shady location. There may be less of a temperature change. I agree with the commercial food pellet moisture content but it has to be the humidity in the air as it would mold in the bag. I also agree that some sort of ventilation will solve the present problem or just put less feed in the barrel. Good luck

Re: Question about mold and protein... [Re: WCI] #3300441 06/17/12 06:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The bag the feed comes in will breath. Put the pellets in a sealed plastic baggie in the sun for an afternoon see what kind of moisture is in the bag after just one afternoon. Wet/moldy feed in a feeder will make its own heat. Feed flow and ventilation are the key to stopping or easing the problem. Humidity can and will effect it but the flow of the feed is the issue when you get down to it. Less feed will not solve the problem if it still sitting there and not getting eaten.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Question about mold and protein... [Re: stxranchman] #3301985 06/18/12 12:29 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Is it just the north side and are there any penetrations of the feeder body made by bolts or anything? Has it been raining up there?

Any holes into the feeder body that will allow moisture in will do so if there is rain or even heavy dew. Have him check the feeder carefully. Some proteins are heavy in salts and minerals and if they get wet then it can cause rust. Depends on how old the feeder is.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide