Forums46
Topics538,689
Posts9,740,086
Members87,103
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Double 6] #3231084 05/17/12 08:38 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Double 6
Wow! If you pot shoot on the ground you gonna wound more than you pick up. Anytime lead shot nicks a quail bird gangreen sets in and that nicked birds dies.My opinion of one that pot shoots is not a sportsman.

How do you miss something standing still with birdshot...

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Navasot] #3231096 05/17/12 08:44 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
Originally Posted By: Double 6
Wow! If you pot shoot on the ground you gonna wound more than you pick up. Anytime lead shot nicks a quail bird gangreen sets in and that nicked birds dies.My opinion of one that pot shoots is not a sportsman.

How do you miss something standing still with birdshot...

confused2 Maybe he isn't a very good shot...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: txshntr] #3231552 05/18/12 12:11 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Meat hunters hunt pen birds.

I haven't been on a lease where the kind of things people have said they do would be allowed.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: MS1454] #3231680 05/18/12 01:13 AM
B
beatarmy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
glad to see i ruffled a few feathers...i enjoy antagonizing toolbags who look down their noses at others or make other people's lives difficult...besides a little controvesy makes a good thread and the upland section gets boring in the summer. I'd rather read this than a three post thread about how to train your dog to honor with a straight tail on a tuesday in the rain during the late season.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: beatarmy] #3231970 05/18/12 03:05 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I like your handle. Beat army

If you use a shotgun your not a meat hunter... If you use a 22long your a meat hunter....but if you use a 22 short.. your a sniper

I know this as fact!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3232024 05/18/12 03:29 AM
T
toolman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
^Maybe, but a "real hunter" would just sneak up on them and bite their heads off. Using a dog and a gun is lame...

Old age ain't for sissies!

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: toolman] #3232129 05/18/12 04:24 AM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Quail are obviously covey birds, that how when you shoot at an entire covey on the ground you get wounded birds. To me personally, shooting quail that are on the ground is unsportsman but to each his own. My definition of a meat hunter is pretty much the same as CCs definition.

Pheasant are another story. If you only shoot pointed pheasant you're very to lucky to have 3 birds in your bag by the end of the day. Although I got 4 in 25 min 2 years ago in Kansas. Complete luck as I stumbled into about 85 birds flying as different times into a central location in CRP, as the sun was going down, and a little wind and snow to help make them hold tight. I don't think shooting unpointed pheasant makes you a meat hunter just because of the way those birds are. When it comes to pheasant, a meat hunter to me is those armies that plow through field after field shooting anything that moves. That's how whole covies of quail get wiped out quick, they're viewed as bonus birds by those guys. I don't have a lot of respect for the groups of 20 guys and 10 labs that obliterate fields. 4-6 guys is one thing, but if you're going to have so many guys that you have to take 7 trucks to a field, then save yourself the time and set the field on fire and shoot them as they fly out. I wish those guys would just go to a tower shoot, cause that's what they're really after. But like I said, to each his own and they pay their money just like I do.....

Say When.....
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: CinchMan] #3232167 05/18/12 04:51 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
What if you shoot them off the porch of your camper while they are eating the corn you dropped out of the bag of your truck while filling up the feed sack for the deer...with a BB gun confused2

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: txshntr] #3232174 05/18/12 04:55 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Look around here and lots of guys define "meat hunter". Most are guys that hunt where they have little chance of killing a big deer so they say oh I am meat hunter. Some are truly in it for the meat, but not many!

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: CinchMan] #3232429 05/18/12 12:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: MSP24
Quail are obviously covey birds, that how when you shoot at an entire covey on the ground you get wounded birds. To me personally, shooting quail that are on the ground is unsportsman but to each his own. My definition of a meat hunter is pretty much the same as CCs definition.

Pheasant are another story. If you only shoot pointed pheasant you're very to lucky to have 3 birds in your bag by the end of the day. Although I got 4 in 25 min 2 years ago in Kansas. Complete luck as I stumbled into about 85 birds flying as different times into a central location in CRP, as the sun was going down, and a little wind and snow to help make them hold tight. I don't think shooting unpointed pheasant makes you a meat hunter just because of the way those birds are. When it comes to pheasant, a meat hunter to me is those armies that plow through field after field shooting anything that moves. That's how whole covies of quail get wiped out quick, they're viewed as bonus birds by those guys. I don't have a lot of respect for the groups of 20 guys and 10 labs that obliterate fields. 4-6 guys is one thing, but if you're going to have so many guys that you have to take 7 trucks to a field, then save yourself the time and set the field on fire and shoot them as they fly out. I wish those guys would just go to a tower shoot, cause that's what they're really after. But like I said, to each his own and they pay their money just like I do.....

You wouldn't like hunting my ranch... 60 birds really isn't that many birds..

And most small parties actually do better then large parties. If I only have 4 guys with me usually they will have their birds in under 45 min. with 20min being driving time...Bigger parties take lot longer.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3232511 05/18/12 01:18 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Cheap meat!

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: BOBO the Clown] #3232554 05/18/12 01:32 PM
C
CSF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: MSP24

You wouldn't like hunting my ranch... 60 birds really isn't that many birds..

And most small parties actually do better then large parties. If I only have 4 guys with me usually they will have their birds in under 45 min. with 20min being driving time...Bigger parties take lot longer.

eeks333

PM sent wink

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: CSF] #3232592 05/18/12 01:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Lol, last year we didn't hunt cause of the drought, actually think only one guy hunted my place and that was sniper John. He did well quickly. Well correction blaze did well smile John just connected.

People think that when you have huge amounts of people you will do better...never seen that to be the case. Limits where you can hunt.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: MS1454] #3232645 05/18/12 02:16 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: MS1454
Meat hunters hunt pen birds.

I haven't been on a lease where the kind of things people have said they do would be allowed.

roflmao this is why i dont quail hunt...people get caught up in it waaaaaaay to much... id rather sit on a fence line and shoot dove. People take quail hunting way to serious iv never herd of someone gettin a lease just for quail...your suppose to get a deer lease and then on your off time go shoot a few quail...ill save all the trouble for the ducks.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Navasot] #3232741 05/18/12 02:59 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The world stands still for a lot of us when a bird dog goes on point. It's like walking into and out of a beautiful painting all day long.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3232910 05/18/12 04:13 PM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
If it flies, it dies stir

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: CRAnderson52] #3232955 05/18/12 04:51 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
If it flies, it dies stir

Like this??????

Quarry

Mr ET

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Navasot] #3233037 05/18/12 05:28 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
your suppose to get a deer lease and then on your off time go shoot a few quail...

We obviously don't run in the same circles. I know people who have bought and maintain ranches just to hunt quail.
Yes, people get caught up in it.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: Pointer] #3233122 05/18/12 06:05 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Pointer
your suppose to get a deer lease and then on your off time go shoot a few quail...

We obviously don't run in the same circles. I know people who have bought and maintain ranches just to hunt quail.

clap Quail management

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3233329 05/18/12 08:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
The world stands still for a lot of us when a bird dog goes on point. It's like walking into and out of a beautiful painting all day long.

Dont get me wrong iv been with dogs and it is fun for sure but I cant pass a shot on a bird that gets up in range...point or no point i like shootin when im huntin....thats all im sayin... just have fun and dont get caught up like some do you know

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: txshntr] #3233371 05/18/12 08:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: txshntr

clap Quail management

Ever hear of James A Baker or Sam Walton? How about T. Boone Pickens? They spent thousands on quail management.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3233394 05/18/12 09:09 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

clap Quail management

Ever hear of James A Baker or Sam Walton? How about T. Boone Pickens? They spent thousands on quail management.

Doesn't surprise me. I know plenty of quail hunters and have heard all about some of the management techniques. They are as serious about their birds, if not more so, than some folks are about deer.

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: txshntr] #3233454 05/18/12 09:42 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'd say more. It takes around 1,000 acres each year for quail. How much for deer?

[Linked Image]

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3233645 05/19/12 12:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

clap Quail management

Boone Pickens paid for his quail updates to his land by sueing oil companies that ran over a few mesquite trees.

Or starting his own water municipality to force people to be able to run a water pipeline...

Don't forget buying a company via an overfunded pension plan.

If anything he did it for a write off to off set oil profits... Not exactly primo cattle country he owns... But to say he bought a ranch just for quail is well...loco

Re: What's your definition of a meat hunter [Re: bill oxner] #3233650 05/19/12 12:07 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I'd say more. It takes around 1,000 acres each year for quail. How much for deer?

Stupid point ... CC per quail is much higher then cc per deer...and every region is different.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide